Springfield XDs 9 vs Smith & Wesson M&P shield 40. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Springfield XDs 9 vs Smith & Wesson M&P shield 40.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Well, I held both the XDs9 and the Shield .40 today and compared them.

The M&P won hands down, it just fit my hand better and the XDs grip was too aggressive.

I will say that that the XDs trigger stood head and shoulders above the shield. It's not that the M&P trigger was terrible, it was just kind of indistinct and blah to me, but I will be buying the Shield. Maybe a trigger job and some night sights.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post

The M&P won hands down, it just fit my hand better and the XDs grip was too aggressive.

I will say that that the XDs trigger stood head and shoulders above the shield. It's not that the M&P trigger was terrible, it was just kind of indistinct and blah to me, but I will be buying the Shield. Maybe a trigger job and some night sights.
That's the reason that there are different choices. What works for one doesn't work for another. The best part is that both guns have a good track record, hope you like the shield.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988

Good choice on the Shield. If its new I recommend putting a thousand rounds or so through it before you do a trigger job. I've heard that helps a lot. Also, with my M&P9c, the trigger feels much different when actually shooting, compared to dry firing. Much nicer.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #24

Well I personally own the XDS-9, XDS in .45 ACP, and I just picked up a Shield in 9mm. I've had my
.45 XDS for a few months and have put maybe 650 rounds through it and I have been able to shoot it exceptionally well. The gun sights extremely well and I am completely satisfied with the stock trigger. I could consistently hit a 16 inch gong from about 75 yards once I learned how the gun was firing. The grip does have alot of "roughness" I guess you could say but I personally like it and really does help give me a better hold on the gun. The recoil is extremely bearable and don't even think twice about the .45 being too much in a small package because it isn't in this case. It was a no brainer for me to pick up the XDS-9 after enjoying the .45 so much. The 9 performs the exact same way and I have found it to be just as accurate after 500+ rounds. The trigger pull is actually even a little lighter than my .45. I wouldn't trade it for the .45 though just because 2 extra rounds of 9mm is not really worth it to me and I'd rather have the 5 rounds of .45, especially when the guns are so accurate I don't think it would ever prove to be a problem. I also recently picked up the shield and have shot it around 300 times this past weekend shooting at clay pigeons set up on rebar and it performed very nicely as well. Not a big fan of the thumb safety but it does not impose any problem because it will never be on when it is in my holster because it is still a 2 piece trigger. It does not stand up to springfield's quality and I have found the trigger pulls to be inconsistent through other shields that I have shot that didn't belong to me but still had stock triggers. I got very lucky and mine has a very nice and moderately light crisp pull but I have seen shields with very tight triggers so be aware of that. The gun is very consistent and accurate nonetheless but my XDS .45 will still be my carry gun. But bottom line is I would feel completely confident with any of the 3 on my side in a tight situation. Both will perform and I really don't see any of them experiencing any light strikes or anything of that sort. My suggestion is go with the .45 XDS if you have the extra money because it is worth it. You will be satisfied with either but the Springfield is the better choice IN MY OPINION, so no arguments guys! Lol. I actually got mine for 499 brand new from my lgs on a Springfield rebate which was really nice. So just look around and you can find them for reasonable deals, but remember to report back with what you get! Hope this helps, just my 2 cents!