Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Springfield XDs 9 vs Smith & Wesson M&P shield 40. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/springfield-xds-9-vs-smith-wesson-m-p-shield-40-a-92355/)

sputnik1988 06-15-2013 09:08 PM

Springfield XDs 9 vs Smith & Wesson M&P shield 40.

Yup, another one of these threads, anyway I'm in need of a new edc handgun and I've narrowed it down to these two, but im torn.

I hate the idea of a manual safety on the Shield, but the XDs is not quite as affordable, but I also like the fiber optic front sight.
There are plenty of biased opinions on the web but I'm looking for something a bit more objective.

Opinions? Thanks.

ShagNasty1001 06-15-2013 09:21 PM

Never shot the Shield, just held it but the XDs dug into my hand a little when I was shooting that from the aggressiveness on the grips but a hogue grip would probably fix that. Recoil was very manageable though

hardluk1 06-16-2013 11:11 AM

Why not add a Kahr CW series to the mix. Can be bought in 9mm, 40 and 45.

Also get an old used 1.75" inner tube and cut in to make a grip cover that's can made to cover more grip are than other after market slip ons. And its free at bike shops in the used tire and tube pile.

Fiber optic sights can be added to all of these. Dawson Precision and in different heights and widths.

BigL1979 06-17-2013 03:34 AM

The cheapest XDs 9mm I have seen is 529 , new. Got my M&P Shield for 399 in .40 cal. A caliber not offered in the XDs line. I already had 700 rounds of .40 S&W saved up from having a G23 and did not want to downsize to the 9mm. The shield feels amazing in my hands. And saved me about 140 bucks plus cost of new ammo. Just throwing that out there.

JW357 06-17-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988
Yup, another one of these threads, anyway I'm in need of a new edc handgun and I've narrowed it down to these two, but im torn.

I hate the idea of a manual safety on the Shield, but the XDs is not quite as affordable, but I also like the fiber optic front sight.
There are plenty of biased opinions on the web but I'm looking for something a bit more objective.

Opinions? Thanks.

Never shot either, but I own an M&P9c and have held the XDs. It seemed to me the XDs had a high bore axis? I could be misremembering. I don't personally like the feel of a gun with a higher bore axis. My M&P sits comfortably low in the hand.

If you were talking the same caliber, a gun with a higher bore axis will have more felt recoil. But, because you're talking two different calibers anyway, this prolly isn't an issue.

So really it comes down to what feels the best. Both are quality firearms.

okdonk 06-17-2013 09:05 AM

Have both Shield and XDS9, i will choose the XDS9. It's more accurate than the Shield. The only cons are it's aggresive grip and Raven hasn't made the Phantom holster for it yet.

IvanKaz 06-17-2013 09:10 PM

I've shot both guns, but in a different caliber. I own the M&P Shield in 9mm and a buddy of mine has the XDS in 45acp. I love the Shield. It is very comfortable to shoot (it feels to me almost as comfortable to shoot as the Glock 19), accurate and very reliable (about 500 rounds with no malfunctions). The xds is also very comfortable to shoot and its very manageable for such a light pistol in a large caliber. I imagine the xds in 9mm would be as comfortable to shoot as the Shield 9mm, while I imagine the Shield in 40 S&W might be a bit snappy.

simpkinst 06-18-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988

Opinions? Thanks.

I like the M&P 9c better than both of those. No manual safety and fits my hand better than the XPs or shield. Just about the same size as the shield, just a bit wider. Actually cannot tell the difference in the holster.

I like both companies and tried all 3 out before buying. I also have a full size XP in 45, so I was very interested in the XPs. The 9c just felt better to me. Not to mention the smoking deal at 375 plus tax new.

sputnik1988 06-18-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinst (Post 1279240)
I like the M&P 9c better than both of those. No manual safety and fits my hand better than the XPs or shield. Just about the same size as the shield, just a bit wider. Actually cannot tell the difference in the holster.

I like both companies and tried all 3 out before buying. I also have a full size XP in 45, so I was very interested in the XPs. The 9c just felt better to me. Not to mention the smoking deal at 375 plus tax new.

I'm carrying a Glock 19 now, my only complaint is the thickness, especially through the grip. That was my reasoning for the shield and XDs.

It's not that its too big to conceal, its just not all that comfortable in the waistband, I have carried my full size 1911 IWB also and its not too bad except for the slide length so I was thinking something around that thickness without the $1000 price tag to go along with it.

BeyondTheBox 06-18-2013 06:47 AM

Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact? DA/SA, decocker.