Springfield XD 40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Springfield XD 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Springfield XD 40

I'm getting ready to purchase a Springfield XD 40 (3") sub compact for concealed carry. I have a Taurus PT-140, but the trigger pull is much heavier than the XD, which is my reason for changing. The Springfield feels very good to me, about the same as the Taurus, but fits my hand a little better.
Does anyone use one of these pistols, and what are your opinions on it? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
cbw

My son just got one and its a sweet gun!. Right out of the box no FTF or FTE issues. Great grouping at 30', he has me looking at the XDM now. and I already have a Springfield EMP 40

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Had one for a time and it's a very reliable gun. I'm not a huge fan of .40 in smallish guns myself as it's a bit to snappy. Going from Taurus to Springfield is a great move IMHO...

Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #4

I use an XDsc .40 as my daily carry. I absolutely love it. It's very accurate, and has never once failed to go bang when I pull the trigger. I especially love how concealable it is on a skinny SOB like me.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. It confirms my initial feelings about the gun, and what the dealer told me.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone looking at a .40 S&W chambered firearm.

Before you cash, out shoot the same gun in 9mm and .45ACP. I really don't think the .40 S&W is the best of the three for control.

If you really want a .40 cal go buy a 10mm!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have the XD in the sub and in the midsize or whatever they call it. I love both of them. Much less felt recoil than my Glock 22, extremely accurate out of the box, great ergos, etc. The only complaint I have is the mag capacity of the standard XD (12 rounds). If you can get the XDm, I would look at that. They have higher capacity and from what I understand they have the features of the Walther P99.

I do have to agree with Cane, you should never decide on a gun or a caliber unless you have shot an example of each. Trust me I've made that mistake before. Now I research everything and ask a lot of questions.

Cane, I didn't know the XD was available in 10?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I have the XD in the sub and in the midsize or whatever they call it. I love both of them. Much less felt recoil than my Glock 22, extremely accurate out of the box, great ergos, etc. The only complaint I have is the mag capacity of the standard XD (12 rounds). If you can get the XDm, I would look at that. They have higher capacity and from what I understand they have the features of the Walther P99.

I do have to agree with Cane, you should never decide on a gun or a caliber unless you have shot an example of each. Trust me I've made that mistake before. Now I research everything and ask a lot of questions.

Cane, I didn't know the XD was available in 10?
It's not, just my attempt at .40 S&W humor. Few people know the .40 S&W round uses the same bullet as the 10mm.

OBTW, I find the XD platform one of the better, if not the best of the tupperware offerings. (That's a canebrake complement.)

It has a (thanks JMB) grip safety.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-07-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #9

Default xd40sc

I carry the same gun your talking about. If you have largish hands like me, pearce grip extensions are awesome, fit's my hand like it was made for me, and I have no problems with control. sweet little pistol.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I have the XD 40 in a full size, 5" model, very nice shooting gun. Reliable and accurate out of the box with no FTF or FTE issues using FMJ 165 and 180 grain ammo.

As others have noted recoil is sharp but manageable. You just need to train a little more to keep follow up shots on target. BTW, a positive comment from Cane on a tupperware pistol is worth more than anything I can tell you...just go buy it on that alone.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington