Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Springfield XD 40 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/springfield-xd-40-a-23103/)

Blackwaterkatz 02-06-2010 06:35 PM

Springfield XD 40

I'm getting ready to purchase a Springfield XD 40 (3") sub compact for concealed carry. I have a Taurus PT-140, but the trigger pull is much heavier than the XD, which is my reason for changing. The Springfield feels very good to me, about the same as the Taurus, but fits my hand a little better.
Does anyone use one of these pistols, and what are your opinions on it? Thanks.

cbw 02-06-2010 07:57 PM

My son just got one and its a sweet gun!. Right out of the box no FTF or FTE issues. Great grouping at 30', he has me looking at the XDM now.:D and I already have a Springfield EMP 40

NGIB 02-06-2010 08:12 PM

Had one for a time and it's a very reliable gun. I'm not a huge fan of .40 in smallish guns myself as it's a bit to snappy. Going from Taurus to Springfield is a great move IMHO...

KBlue 02-06-2010 10:01 PM

I use an XDsc .40 as my daily carry. I absolutely love it. It's very accurate, and has never once failed to go bang when I pull the trigger. I especially love how concealable it is on a skinny SOB like me.

Blackwaterkatz 02-06-2010 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It confirms my initial feelings about the gun, and what the dealer told me.

canebrake 02-06-2010 11:16 PM

I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone looking at a .40 S&W chambered firearm.

Before you cash, out shoot the same gun in 9mm and .45ACP. I really don't think the .40 S&W is the best of the three for control.

If you really want a .40 cal go buy a 10mm!

DarinCraft 02-06-2010 11:35 PM

I have the XD in the sub and in the midsize or whatever they call it. I love both of them. Much less felt recoil than my Glock 22, extremely accurate out of the box, great ergos, etc. The only complaint I have is the mag capacity of the standard XD (12 rounds). If you can get the XDm, I would look at that. They have higher capacity and from what I understand they have the features of the Walther P99.

I do have to agree with Cane, you should never decide on a gun or a caliber unless you have shot an example of each. Trust me I've made that mistake before. Now I research everything and ask a lot of questions.

Cane, I didn't know the XD was available in 10?

canebrake 02-06-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 225789)
I have the XD in the sub and in the midsize or whatever they call it. I love both of them. Much less felt recoil than my Glock 22, extremely accurate out of the box, great ergos, etc. The only complaint I have is the mag capacity of the standard XD (12 rounds). If you can get the XDm, I would look at that. They have higher capacity and from what I understand they have the features of the Walther P99.

I do have to agree with Cane, you should never decide on a gun or a caliber unless you have shot an example of each. Trust me I've made that mistake before. Now I research everything and ask a lot of questions.

Cane, I didn't know the XD was available in 10?

It's not, just my attempt at .40 S&W humor. Few people know the .40 S&W round uses the same bullet as the 10mm.

OBTW, I find the XD platform one of the better, if not the best of the tupperware offerings. (That's a canebrake complement.)

It has a (thanks JMB) grip safety.

iansturgill 02-07-2010 12:59 AM

xd40sc

I carry the same gun your talking about. If you have largish hands like me, pearce grip extensions are awesome, fit's my hand like it was made for me, and I have no problems with control. sweet little pistol.:D

Jpyle 02-07-2010 01:08 AM

I have the XD 40 in a full size, 5" model, very nice shooting gun. Reliable and accurate out of the box with no FTF or FTE issues using FMJ 165 and 180 grain ammo.

As others have noted recoil is sharp but manageable. You just need to train a little more to keep follow up shots on target. BTW, a positive comment from Cane on a tupperware pistol is worth more than anything I can tell you...just go buy it on that alone. :)