Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
GOLD DOT! This is the only bullet that can guarantee 100% weight retention. Speer and Federal are owned by the same company now. If the Gold Dot could be improved, there would be a Hydra-shock/Gold Dot hybrid. The center post in the Hydra-shock exists to overcome the jacket and allow expansion. The Gold Dot does not need the post as the "jacket" is plated on and the thickness is easily manipulated to allow the optimum amount.

I would never trust a Golden Sabre. I have seen numerous failures on intermediate targets (windshields). The jacket will very likely peel off the core and lose mass.

I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from real living (and often recently deceased) people. The Gold Dot does not fail, ever. The Hyra-shock is good, real good. The ranger SXT/Black talon is iffy. The golden sabre is unreliable. IMHO Remington has not had a good ammo idea in 30 years.
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this thread while researching what would be my best choice for a PD/carry ammunition. I found a site that has some excellent information regarding some of the bullets that have been mentioned in this thread that you may want to check out. They don't test performance in only BG, but they also use four layers of denim as well. I found it very interesting how contact with a soft barrier could inhibit the performance of some well know and respected projectiles. It's interesting to note that the Gold Dot bullets appear be the best for my particular use, as a soft barrier essentially made some of the bullets turn into FMJ's as far as over-penetration is concerned.

Tactical Briefs, August 2002

Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #32

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Then your lawyer calls your own expert to refute the other "expert".

I will always recommend that you carry the ammo the police officers in your jurisdiction carry. That will always give you an out. If this ammo is SOOOOO deadly then why does the PD allow/mandate its officers carry it? Decent people on juries can see the logic in that and see right through the BS some PI lawyer tries to shovel.
+ 1 on that logic robo!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #33

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

another +1 for robocop10mm, get some!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #34
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

First off the likelyhood that you'll be in a situation is low, unless you're out looking for trouble. Second, if you do end up in a situation and you successfully make it go bang bang with any degree of accuracy you'll be +1 regardless of ammo type.

Number one defence is avoidance...

Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #35

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Number one defense is avoidance...
+1 with one caveat, "Number one defense is [awareness with] avoidance..."

Caneisim: "Proactive always trumps reactive!"

Gentlemen, you DO NOT want to be involved in a shooting considering today's political environment. You MUST think, and only use your concealed carry weapon as you would your car/home insurance. It's an intelligent/conscious effort for us to plan and protect by choosing both insurance and carry. If you’re like me, I hope I never have the need to exercise my car/home insurance policy (believe me, can you say hurricane?) but its there for me to fall-back on, my safety net to make (keep) me whole.

DON'T SHOOT TO KILL - SHOOT TO LIVE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I wouldn't want to live on the difference between the two. Both are excellent self-defense rounds and either will serve you well. Also consider Winchester SXT and Corbon DPX.

Consider testing the different loads you're considering to make sure your gun eats them without issues.

Good luck.
That is excellent advice. Speer Gold Dots work fine in my carry gun, but my 1911 will not chamber them.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theavenger View Post
That is excellent advice. Speer Gold Dots work fine in my carry gun, but my 1911 will not chamber them.
Take it to a 'smith for a ramp job. Even the factory lowered ramp on my Kimber feeds SWCs. It makes a big difference.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #38

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Defence Ammo

I use & carry Hornady XDP ammo great for defence carry

Old 09-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #39

Default More than just a pretty bullet

I've read several pieces of research that indicate that the Gold Dot is a more destructive and consistent bullet, but there's more to self defense than just bullet performance. If you own a 1911 style pistol, which have very steep feed ramps, the wide mouth and fairly straight contours of the Gold Dot bullet can create real feed problems. Even with Wilson Combat magazines (very high presentation with a steep feed angle) I have rammed Gold Dots straight into the feed ramp - stuck.
If I were carrying anything other than a 1911, I would probably load it with 185 grain Gold Dots, but in my Springfield Lightweight Companion, I just don't have the confidence that they are going to be there when I need them. Hydrashocks, with their slightly smaller cavity and more rounded nose, have never failed to load for me, and I keep 7 of them in eight-round Checkmate hybrid magazines and carry them with confidence.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #40

Default The $50,000 bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1 with one caveat, "Number one defense is [awareness with] avoidance..."

Caneisim: "Proactive always trumps reactive!"

Gentlemen, you DO NOT want to be involved in a shooting considering today's political environment. You MUST think, and only use your concealed carry weapon as you would your car/home insurance. It's an intelligent/conscious effort for us to plan and protect by choosing both insurance and carry. If you’re like me, I hope I never have the need to exercise my car/home insurance policy (believe me, can you say hurricane?) but its there for me to fall-back on, my safety net to make (keep) me whole.

DON'T SHOOT TO KILL - SHOOT TO LIVE
Good advice, Canebrake. We all need to realize that right or wrong, discharging a firearm in public (especially aimed at another human being) is going to incur AT LEAST a $50,000 legal retainer while you defend yourself in court, so you damn well better be sure it's your last and only option, and what you're trying to protect is worth that much. This isn't TV - the bad guys don't fall over dead while you walk away into the sunset with the girl.