Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok

What ammo is the best for personal defense? Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default which ammo

It's almost impossible to help you decide without more onfo-what caliber,cartridge,gun fired from,etc. Some ammo will vary in efficency due to caliber,barrel length,gun fired from,and wether it's designed for shorter barrels with faster burning powder for more velocity/energy and less muzzleflash.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 10-17-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #3

I can't really say about Speer....I got a hold of a nice quanity of .45acp Fed.Hydrashok at a Gunshow a few years back and it performs well in my .45's.
I've used the non-scientific test on the phone book, no Jello at the time and it mushroomed fine....

Old 10-18-2007, 04:36 AM   #4

Default Defence ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It's almost impossible to help you decide without more onfo-what caliber,cartridge,gun fired from,etc. Some ammo will vary in efficency due to caliber,barrel length,gun fired from,and wether it's designed for shorter barrels with faster burning powder for more velocity/energy and less muzzleflash.
Yeah, What he said, I use Golden Saber's.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default Ammo

GOLD DOT! This is the only bullet that can guarantee 100% weight retention. Speer and Federal are owned by the same company now. If the Gold Dot could be improved, there would be a Hydra-shock/Gold Dot hybrid. The center post in the Hydra-shock exists to overcome the jacket and allow expansion. The Gold Dot does not need the post as the "jacket" is plated on and the thickness is easily manipulated to allow the optimum amount.

I would never trust a Golden Sabre. I have seen numerous failures on intermediate targets (windshields). The jacket will very likely peel off the core and lose mass.

I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from real living (and often recently deceased) people. The Gold Dot does not fail, ever. The Hyra-shock is good, real good. The ranger SXT/Black talon is iffy. The golden sabre is unreliable. IMHO Remington has not had a good ammo idea in 30 years.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #6

Default which bullet?

After a few years of loading and testing different loads/bullets in different calibers-mostly .44 and .45,I like the barnes xpb bullet. It'll expand great AND retain 100% of weight. EXCELLENT terminal ballistics!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #7

Default Gold dot vs golden sabre????

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
GOLD DOT! This is the only bullet that can guarantee 100% weight retention. Speer and Federal are owned by the same company now. If the Gold Dot could be improved, there would be a Hydra-shock/Gold Dot hybrid. The center post in the Hydra-shock exists to overcome the jacket and allow expansion. The Gold Dot does not need the post as the "jacket" is plated on and the thickness is easily manipulated to allow the optimum amount.

I would never trust a Golden Sabre. I have seen numerous failures on intermediate targets (windshields). The jacket will very likely peel off the core and lose mass.

I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from real living (and often recently deceased) people. The Gold Dot does not fail, ever. The Hyra-shock is good, real good. The ranger SXT/Black talon is iffy. The golden sabre is unreliable. IMHO Remington has not had a good ammo idea in 30 years.
Spent the better half of a day pumping Golden Sabre's and Gold Dots into every medium I could get my hands on, the end result was you were right, way right, a much better bullet, thanks for the heads up!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #8

Default Which bullet?

Robocop-have you ever tested the barnes xpb? When barnes first came out with their rifle bullets,you couldn't give them to me,But the "new" crop of handgun bullets perform exceptionally well. Just a note,several blackpowder sabot rounds and taurus .45 acp ammo is loaded with these bullets. I like to load the 185 gr xpb .45 acp (.451) at appox 1100 fps for my defense load and even at that velocity,they still perform great!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 AM   #9

#1 choice of law enforcement is gold dot. 9mm/40/45acp it just works !

Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I like the Hydrashocks in 230 gr. .45 ACP flavor.