Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/speer-gold-dot-federal-hydrashok-2357/)

InedaBullet 10-17-2007 05:20 PM

Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok

What ammo is the best for personal defense? Speer Gold Dot or the Federal HydraShok?

stalkingbear 10-17-2007 07:05 PM

which ammo

It's almost impossible to help you decide without more onfo-what caliber,cartridge,gun fired from,etc. Some ammo will vary in efficency due to caliber,barrel length,gun fired from,and wether it's designed for shorter barrels with faster burning powder for more velocity/energy and less muzzleflash.

Varro 10-17-2007 11:13 PM

I can't really say about Speer....I got a hold of a nice quanity of .45acp Fed.Hydrashok at a Gunshow a few years back and it performs well in my .45's.
I've used the non-scientific test on the phone book, no Jello at the time:) and it mushroomed fine....

rickrem700 10-18-2007 04:36 AM

Defence ammo

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 10396)
It's almost impossible to help you decide without more onfo-what caliber,cartridge,gun fired from,etc. Some ammo will vary in efficency due to caliber,barrel length,gun fired from,and wether it's designed for shorter barrels with faster burning powder for more velocity/energy and less muzzleflash.

Yeah, What he said, I use Golden Saber's.

robocop10mm 10-18-2007 02:06 PM

Ammo

GOLD DOT! This is the only bullet that can guarantee 100% weight retention. Speer and Federal are owned by the same company now. If the Gold Dot could be improved, there would be a Hydra-shock/Gold Dot hybrid. The center post in the Hydra-shock exists to overcome the jacket and allow expansion. The Gold Dot does not need the post as the "jacket" is plated on and the thickness is easily manipulated to allow the optimum amount.

I would never trust a Golden Sabre. I have seen numerous failures on intermediate targets (windshields). The jacket will very likely peel off the core and lose mass.

I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from real living (and often recently deceased) people. The Gold Dot does not fail, ever. The Hyra-shock is good, real good. The ranger SXT/Black talon is iffy. The golden sabre is unreliable. IMHO Remington has not had a good ammo idea in 30 years.

stalkingbear 10-18-2007 04:29 PM

which bullet?

After a few years of loading and testing different loads/bullets in different calibers-mostly .44 and .45,I like the barnes xpb bullet. It'll expand great AND retain 100% of weight. EXCELLENT terminal ballistics!

rickrem700 10-23-2007 07:05 PM

Gold dot vs golden sabre????

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 10434)
GOLD DOT! This is the only bullet that can guarantee 100% weight retention. Speer and Federal are owned by the same company now. If the Gold Dot could be improved, there would be a Hydra-shock/Gold Dot hybrid. The center post in the Hydra-shock exists to overcome the jacket and allow expansion. The Gold Dot does not need the post as the "jacket" is plated on and the thickness is easily manipulated to allow the optimum amount.

I would never trust a Golden Sabre. I have seen numerous failures on intermediate targets (windshields). The jacket will very likely peel off the core and lose mass.

I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from real living (and often recently deceased) people. The Gold Dot does not fail, ever. The Hyra-shock is good, real good. The ranger SXT/Black talon is iffy. The golden sabre is unreliable. IMHO Remington has not had a good ammo idea in 30 years.

Spent the better half of a day pumping Golden Sabre's and Gold Dots into every medium I could get my hands on, the end result was you were right, way right, a much better bullet, thanks for the heads up!!!

stalkingbear 10-23-2007 08:33 PM

Which bullet?

Robocop-have you ever tested the barnes xpb? When barnes first came out with their rifle bullets,you couldn't give them to me,But the "new" crop of handgun bullets perform exceptionally well. Just a note,several blackpowder sabot rounds and taurus .45 acp ammo is loaded with these bullets. I like to load the 185 gr xpb .45 acp (.451) at appox 1100 fps for my defense load and even at that velocity,they still perform great!

Dgunsmith 10-24-2007 03:04 AM

#1 choice of law enforcement is gold dot. 9mm/40/45acp it just works !

matt g 10-24-2007 03:08 AM

I like the Hydrashocks in 230 gr. .45 ACP flavor.