Spare mag(s)? - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Spare mag(s)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Omg, this ones been discussed so many times its unreal.

I always carry at least one spare mag, i dont care what statistics say, i dont want to be stuck without a reload if needed.

I carry spare mags for the same reason my truck has a spare tire under the bed, its better to have and not need than to need it and not have it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #32

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Omg, this ones been discussed so many times its unreal.

I always carry at least one spare mag, i dont care what statistics say, i dont want to be stuck without a reload if needed.

I carry spare mags for the same reason my truck has a spare tire under the bed, its better to have and not need than to need it and not have it.
Almost as much as the ever popular
If only had 2 guns--3 guns - 14 guns - watever senario thingy

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

During the summer, I carry a spare mag in a Blackhawk magazine holder attached to my 511 tactical belt. This complements my Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster. For the cold season, my Blackhawk drop leg tactical holster comes with an extra mag holder and flashlight holster. I can only carry while hunting.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #34

Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I normally carry two spare 8 round mags for my P220.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I definitely understand why people do. I've just never felt the need. Even when I carry a revolver. I say go with what you are comfortable with. Not a right or a wrong way.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anyone ever heard of a Quickstrip? It's made for revolvers but its not bulky like a speed loader.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/610877/tuff-products-quickstrip-38-special-357-magnum-40-s-and-w-5-round-polymer-package-of-2-black?cm_vc=subv1358930

Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #37

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorterj88 View Post
Yes/no? If yes how do you carry it? If no why not? That's enough questions for now...
Not with any consistency. I do have spares in my vehicle but dependent on my dress for the day will dictate weather or not I will have more on me. I do have a nifty mag pouch that sits IWB for my 1911's. A good friend made it for me and I do carry it some. But I honestly don't stray too far form my little town and just don't see the need. If I can get back to the car then I'll have a more there.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It depends on where I'm going, and when. 17 rounds may seem like a lot, but the car that scrubs you because the driver is stoned on crack may have several times that amount once everybody dismounts and decides that you need to die for screwing up their ride. Throw in the realistic, low percentage of hits to shots in a situation like that, and what once seemed like excess can become barely sufficient, even without a broken spring, baseplate, etc....

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #39

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I consider it ridiculous myself, but were I ever in need of one I'd proverbially shot myself for not having done so.

I'm not like most you'll find here. I carry only because it's convenient and comfortable to do so and as a preventative type of person suits me. But any discomfort or inconvenience would find me without in a heart beat. The spare mag is that to me, 100%.

So I measure probability and apply that to need for comfort and convenience to determine value. Where I hang and live, who I hang with, how unaggressive and non-confrontational and gifted of gab I am leaves me very unlikely to ever be in need to defend myself with a gun.

Now of course there's no accounting for the what ifs, but I don't play that game. The likelihood is too low, I'm not at all the paranoid type and I keep good company with people of class. Just having a gun, by that math, is already literal overkill.

But to each their own, do what suits you and your lifestyle. ;D

Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #40
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I consider it ridiculous myself, but were I ever in need of one I'd proverbially shot myself for not having done so.

I'm not like most you'll find here. I carry only because it's convenient and comfortable to do so and as a preventative type of person suits me. But any discomfort or inconvenience would find me without in a heart beat. The spare mag is that to me, 100%.

So I measure probability and apply that to need for comfort and convenience to determine value. Where I hang and live, who I hang with, how unaggressive and non-confrontational and gifted of gab I am leaves me very unlikely to ever be in need to defend myself with a gun.

Now of course there's no accounting for the what ifs, but I don't play that game. The likelihood is too low, I'm not at all the paranoid type and I keep good company with people of class. Just having a gun, by that math, is already literal overkill.

But to each their own, do what suits you and your lifestyle. ;D
Hmmm... Gotta think about this. Optimistic, but not unreasonable.
Going to the movies? Gotta get some milk at the 7-11? What ifs come into your activities more than you might think. You can't always control events that come to you. "You pay your money and you take your chances".

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.