Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Sp101 holster question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Default Sp101 holster question

Looking for a cc holster for my 2.25 barrel sp101. I've only bought one holster for a different gun before.

I don't know the difference between iwb, pancake, and whatever else there is available. Not even sure how I'd be most comfortable carrying. So any input or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #2

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
Looking for a cc holster for my 2.25 barrel sp101. I've only bought one holster for a different gun before.

I don't know the difference between iwb, pancake, and whatever else there is available. Not even sure how I'd be most comfortable carrying. So any input or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.
I see your from Michigan also like me. I personally carry OWB because thats the holster I found that I liked for my firearm. Ive carried a Gp100 OWB for almost a year and one thing I will tell you is make sure you have a good quality belt to support the extra weight of a firearm. I carry a Glock right now and even when I carried my Gp100 I carried them both at about 3:30. Thats what works for me right side of the hip just behind my belt loop. Hope this helps, how do you like the sp101?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk

I see your from Michigan also like me. I personally carry OWB because thats the holster I found that I liked for my firearm. Ive carried a Gp100 OWB for almost a year and one thing I will tell you is make sure you have a good quality belt to support the extra weight of a firearm. I carry a Glock right now and even when I carried my Gp100 I carried them both at about 3:30. Thats what works for me right side of the hip just behind my belt loop. Hope this helps, how do you like the sp101?
Anything will help. I probably should have labeled it general holster help lol. I love it. I only own two handguns and I'm torn between the sp101 and my sig p226 9mm. They both have their specific and obvious pros over the other.

It shoots great and the mechanics feel flawless. But that's comparing it to itself. It's the only revolver I've shot.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

Wherr are you at in Michigan? Im in Grand Rapids. Ive shot my FIL sp101 and its defenitly a great revolver. Have you looked at the Gp100 revolvers? Thats another great revolver from Ruger.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Wherr are you at in Michigan? Im in Grand Rapids. Ive shot my FIL sp101 and its defenitly a great revolver. Have you looked at the Gp100 revolvers? Thats another great revolver from Ruger.
I'm on the east side. North metro Detroit. In Clinton township. I was actually torn between the sp and go but went with the sp because I also wanted a cc revolver. I may eventually look into the gp with a longer barrel.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You didn't say if you wanted leather or kydex.

Look at the Don Hume, inexpensive yet very good quality.

Btw, iwb, inside the waistband, goes inside the pants, good for concealment, alittle harder to get to the gun. OWB, outside the pants, a little less concealment, but easier to get to the gun. Pancake just refers to how the holster attaches to the belt, more than anything. Most CC goes for iwb...I like the iwb with a clip, so I can easily take it off and put it on without undressing. I carry iwb in the appendix position( 2 o clock), as it's the quickest place for me, my hands are right there most of the time.

Freedom comes from those who fought for it
USMC, NRA, IDPA-SO, GOA

Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genec
You didn't say if you wanted leather or kydex.

Look at the Don Hume, inexpensive yet very good quality.

Btw, iwb, inside the waistband, goes inside the pants, good for concealment, alittle harder to get to the gun. OWB, outside the pants, a little less concealment, but easier to get to the gun. Pancake just refers to how the holster attaches to the belt, more than anything. Most CC goes for iwb...I like the iwb with a clip, so I can easily take it off and put it on without undressing. I carry iwb in the appendix position( 2 o clock), as it's the quickest place for me, my hands are right there most of the time.
How does the pancake attach compared to a normal iwb holster? And material will be the last thing I look at. Just trying to get general knowledge for now.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #8

Quote:
And off topic, but do you know of any good CPL instructors in Michigan? Middle of the state or wherever. I don't mind driving if its worth it. I'm not looking for good prices, just experience and amount of knowledge.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #9

Mine was in Marne, MI at copper creek. Its a good class. Me and my wife took the class together and they bring in a local lawyer that pretty much only deals with firearm laws and charges. You can ask any question you want and he will give an answer. Its done at a guys house in his pole barn and its an 8 hour class. Food and firearm an ammo is included in the price but you can bring your own if you want.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #10

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56

How does the pancake attach compared to a normal iwb holster? And material will be the last thing I look at. Just trying to get general knowledge for now.
A pancake generally has two slots cut in the leather and your belt is threaded through them. An IWB holster generally as 1-2 belt clips or loops to attach it to your belt.

Pancake

IWB