South Carolina Sheriff has it right
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > South Carolina Sheriff has it right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default South Carolina Sheriff has it right

A South Carolina sheriff is making the extraordinary suggestion that local women arm themselves following the attempted rape of a woman at a local park, saying "you need to protect yourself."

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright, the county's top law enforcement officer since 2005, suggested local women apply for a permit to carry a concealed weapon during a news conference Monday about the attack on Sunday at Milliken Park in Spartanburg.

"It just struck me wrong that we keep telling everyone 'trust us, trust us, trust us,' but in reality, you need to protect yourself," Wright told FoxNews.com. "If you are not a convicted felon or someone who causes trouble or don't have any mental issues, buy a weapon to protect yourself and get some good training."

Walter Monroe Lance, 46, of Spartanburg, was charged Monday with kidnapping, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and grand larceny in connection with the attack. Lance was ordered held without bond, Wright said.

Wright suggested that had the unidentified victim been armed, perhaps with a .45-caliber handgun concealed in a fanny pack, she would have stood a better chance fighting off her attacker.

"If she didn't shoot the guy, she could have at least stopped him and made him leave her alone," Wright said. "You can defend yourself."
Wright said he was "tired of looking at victims" of crimes whose perpetrators are arrested multiple times and are later released without significant jail time. Lance, for example, had been arrested more than 20 times, he said, including for offenses like rape, battery and resisting arrest. Wright characterized him as an "animal" during Monday's news conference.

Since making the suggestion that women lawfully arm themselves, Wright said his office has received more than 200 phone calls supporting his stance. Only one didn't "praise" the call to action, he said.

"We're not trying to raise up a militia here, we're sending a message to the bad guys that we're tired of it," he said. "I'm through getting bit."

"There are tons of guns on the street now, I would just prefer to train the good people who have them so there'd be less accidents," Wright said. "I am plainspoken in a lot of aspects and we cannot be everywhere. I think the people in this county understand how I go after these drug dealers and people who break into our homes … We're just very relentless in our pursuit of justice."

Asked if he believes his message resonated with Spartanburg County residents, Wright replied: "I would say that if you're a concealed weapons permit instructor, you're about to make a lot of Christmas money."

Read more: South Carolina Sheriff: 'You Need To Protect Yourself' | Fox News

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #2

I think he is right on the money. With proper training a lot of crime could be stopped. And if a couple of rapers are shoot i bet a few other would be rapers might think twice!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I agree with the Sheriff in SC, if the criminals know that more of the good guys and gals are armed and WELL trained then crimes of this nature are going to go down, one way or another. It will either be a deterrent or a end to repeat offenders.

The main thing is the level of training that is needed to make this a safe reality for those who seek to carry, might not be obtained. I know people who think that "I have a gun, I am protected" this guy had never shot the weapon that he was carrying. Proper training and always carrying everywhere you can legally is a Must.

A local Deputy Sheriff here is a friend that teaches CCW classes as well as home defense classes. He says that I am his best advertisement because I recommend so many people to his classes. I actively try to teach the majority of my customers ( I run my own Auto repair shop ) hand gun awareness as they see me carry every time they come to my shop. Some were uncomfortable at first, but now admit that they feel safer around people who legally carry weapons. Several have asked to show me their choice for a carry weapon, or to see my collection.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not seen any statistical data on how many women were rapped while holding a Glock.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Women, more than men, really do need to protect themselves
with the right to carry a firearm. I stress that with my wife.
After a spell she finally saw the reason for that arguement.
However in her case I am afraid once placed into her handbag
she's a goner. Talk about the Bermuda Triangle!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guys this is my sheriff! (known him for a while now. Hell of a man.)So cool that he's getting national attention. But he is absolutely right. We're sick of seeing criminals commiting these violent offenses and being out of jail the next day. It's our responsibility to protect ourselves and family. We are the first responders....

Old 11-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Broke, if that's your sheriff when re-election comes up, you better have your bottom out there and work to get him re-elected. A Sheriff who has a functioning brain that isn't being bullied by the politicians? Wow. If I ever go back to SC, that man wins a dinner and a beer.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very proud gentlemen. Very proud...

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
Broke, if that's your sheriff when re-election comes up, you better have your bottom out there and work to get him re-elected. A Sheriff who has a functioning brain that isn't being bullied by the politicians? Wow. If I ever go back to SC, that man wins a dinner and a beer.
I agree ,
If we had more community leaders like that in this country I think a lot of criminals would think twice, and there would be a lot less crime.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

For the most part South Carolina is a leader in supporting the decent citizens' right to posses and carry a firearm for self-defense. They also require an 8-hour class to be taken to qualify for a CWP (concealed weapons permit). But the process for acquiring a permit is straightforward, and not dependent upon any political connections. A "poor" man or woman can get a CWP just as easily as a rich "big shot". And the news media (TV, radio) are supporting of the concept. They even have fairly frequent items on the newscasts where they encourage people to arm themselves. A South Carolina CWP is honored in almost every state in the U.S.