Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Some legal questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Some legal questions?

Hello my name is Shane, I'm a 34 year old tattooer from the northshore. I have wanted to get my license to carry concealed or otherwise for sometime now. A lot of people have told me I wouldn't be able to get a gun permit at all because of my past. Here is my question. I have been arrested but never as an adult, never for a violent crime, and I was never convicted of any crimes, also as a minor I was committed by the police into a hospital. Which brings up my mental health history. These things happened over 15 years ago on some stupid typical teenager shenanigans. I was wondering if there was a way to fight for my right to protect myself and my family? If any of this would really be a problem at all? And what steps I should take first? I live in a bad neighborhood in a well knwith tuff city with my wife and two young boys, and work in a cash business until late at night, and would feel much better knowing my family and myself where protected. Any advice, suggestions, and knowledge would be appreciated and helpful.
Sincerely Shane kamerik
Imsoawkward.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Not sure if this will help but you can start here...

Click on your state...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

May not be a bad idea to talk to a lawyer that specializes in firearms laws as well...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

Thanks, it is a start. For the record I'm in mass, and thought this was a massachussetts forum. Sorry about that.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

No worries, kinda figured you were when you said Northshore...(I'm from Ma. too...)

We have state forums here too...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f134/

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8444 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Shane, I moved your thread over to concealed carry category.

ReF: North Shore- sorry, I'm from Virginia- we have an Eastern Shore!

Back to your question- Mass is a tough state. Period. Cannot speak to State law there with any knowledge, but let's talk FEDERAL law, which can be stricter than State law.

IF you were adjudged (root word there is JUDGE) mentally incompetent, and were involuntarily committed to a medical facility for psych TREATMENT, that is a disqualifier. Re: Criminal- while generally a juvenile's criminal record stays behind when he becomes an adult, a juvenile found "not innocent" of an offense that would be a felony IF committed by an adult- disqualfier.

In any event, you are going to need an attorney- to check qualification, and if needed, to petition for restoration of rights. Needs to be a member of the Mass. Bar.

If you want your thread moved over to Mass forum, just drop me a private message, and I can shift it for you- but thought this might be more productive.

In the meantime, look at what other defensive items you CAN use/ carry. Hint- maglite flashlights are very durable.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Now, I'm by no means a legal expert nor do I offer any legal advice. But, given all you posted, and this may be way wrong, why not just apply and see what happens. IF they come back on you you can always say you thought it was a sealed matter from your juvenile days. What's the worst that can happen? They say no and if you want to fight that decision you retain an attorney. Of course, I don't know you, and this is assuming you aren't a mental case today (no offense, of course). Go read an ATF form 4473. The 15 or so questions on that form determine eligibility.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #7

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Id listen to c3. Get a 2a lawyer. Lying or omitting info on an app will land you behind bars.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Id listen to c3. Get a 2a lawyer. Lying or omitting info on an app will land you behind bars.
Woah now hoss. I didn't say lie or omit, I said just fill it out and see what happens. You wouldn't make it past the background check if you didn't qualify, so lying would do no good anyway.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20046 Times on 11399 Posts
Likes Given: 50571

C3 is correct. the best place to start is with an attorney. he can get any all his records and if they could be disqualifiers, then the attorney can petition the court for an expungement of the record. IIRC, this is the only legal way with the exception of a pardon, which has to come from the governor of that state of getting his record cleaned up and legally able to own a firearm.

OP, get an attorney and let him handle it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20046 Times on 11399 Posts
Likes Given: 50571

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Woah now hoss. I didn't say lie or omit, I said just fill it out and see what happens. You wouldn't make it past the background check if you didn't qualify, so lying would do no good anyway.
if you answer yes to any of those questions that require a truthful no answer, then the FFL dealer is not even going to do a background check. it would already be disqualified.