So what should I expect - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > So what should I expect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc

Your kidding right, your course was you and a an instructor in the back of the shop, no test of any kind? Not even range competence? I'm not saying you yourself are not competent, but I feel like there should be some basic safety, range test. Not everybody should just be handed such responsibility unearned,, this is not public school, you don't just pass just for going.
Colby outlined an excellent course.
Notice the difference???

Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #12

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc

Your kidding right, your course was you and a an instructor in the back of the shop, no test of any kind? Not even range competence? I'm not saying you yourself are not competent, but I feel like there should be some basic safety, range test. Not everybody should just be handed such responsibility unearned,, this is not public school, you don't just pass just for going.
Well then Georgia (where I got mine), makes me a grade school drop out. No test, no class, no videos; just money for the fees and prints for the system= done.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #13

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
Well then Georgia (where I got mine), makes me a grade school drop out. No test, no class, no videos; just money for the fees and prints for the system= done.
That is a kinda scary that they set people out in the world armed - with virtually no training.
That means the other people out there that you are mixing up with have virtually no training.
It's something to think about.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude

I'm not saying you need a PHD, I'm just saying is atleast a comprehension & competence test to much? And once earned then begin to apply for nonresident permits but first at least qualify in your home state. I'm talking basics here, not CQC, tactical courses.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #15

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post

Colby outlined an excellent course.
Notice the difference???
Yeah, that would've deterred me from getting my CCP without question. Very little is worth that much effort to me. This is more a hobby than anything. Carrying is just a proactive precautionary convenience.

I'm sure there are classes like this in depth one, outlined by Colby, here, and even tho I chose the one I did out of convenience (closest to me), I would've still done it over something so tedious. I'm not an ambitious person in most regards.

Most of those I talked to before getting my own reported similar experiences to mine, however. Seemed the norm to me.

Eh... whatever. I still don't see how it affects you or why it would warrant the sarcasm, but we've all got our soap boxes. No judgements here. I agree a more serious type of system would better serve to educate, which COULD help to weed out some of the irresponsibility, but so COULD a gun ban. Just saying... could'ves, would'ves, & should'ves isn't my game of choice.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #16

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

That is a kinda scary that they set people out in the world armed - with virtually no training.
That means the other people out there that you are mixing up with have virtually no training.
Even before I posted in this thread I read your post and commented to myself that the course you took seemed really outstanding! About Georgia I do see your point and others commenting on this thread as well. I'm all for training and proficiency, and any course mandated for permit wouldn't get me bothered as a more solid foundation is always a good thing. That being said, a part of me is content that GA makes it painless to get permitted as a "shall issue" state. Just like anything else, here it is YOUR responsibility to know all applicable laws and be proficient. When you take on the responsibility of applying to carry, you also take on responsibility for learning the law and all other matters attached to it. Some will take this seriously, some won't, just like everywhere else no matter what the requirements for issuance are.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 01-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Yeah, that would've deterred me from getting my CCP without question. Very little is worth that much effort to me. This is more a hobby than anything. Carrying is just a proactive precautionary convenience.

I'm sure there are classes like this in depth one, outlined by Colby, here, and even tho I chose the one I did out of convenience (closest to me), I would've still done it over something so tedious. I'm not an ambitious person in most regards.

Most of those I talked to before getting my own reported similar experiences to mine, however. Seemed the norm to me.

Eh... whatever. I still don't see how it affects you or why it would warrant the sarcasm, but we've all got our soap boxes. No judgements here. I agree a more serious type of system would better serve to educate, which COULD help to weed out some of the irresponsibility, but so COULD a gun ban. Just saying... could'ves, would'ves, & should'ves isn't my game of choice.
Well my ccw class wasn't as thorough as that either maybe 3 hrs,, Test,,easy common sense questions , with 1hr range qualifying,, right hand left hand. Basic stuff. I think if we get to many asshats running around, and start to give the rest of us who do take it seriously a bad rep,, it just may affect me after all, and all maybe avoided by simply making sure the applicant knows where the safety is, and how to use it, you know, basic eddie eagle gun safety 1,2,3's. All I'm sayin,, THAT would reassure me.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #18

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post

Just like bama. Paid $25. Got my picture made. Headed home.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
If you have something to say I always appreciate insight and/or intelligent conversation, but unspecified sarcasm serves nothing.

What do you want reassurance on? What purpose would it serve?
Our classes in Florida run from one extreme to another. My first one was taught by an ex-deputy sheriff. He was full of insights into dealing with LEO's, carrying, proper concealment, deadly force laws, and state statutes regarding where you can and can't carry. We fired 6 22 shorts through the class revolver and called it a wrap.

The class my daughter took was nothing more than the NRA safety class with a trip to an outdoor range. The range time was very informative, but the classroom time did not cover a single thing about deadly force laws, self-defense, or state statutes.

A local gun shop offers a class where the total exposure to firearms consists of firing one round through their gun into a safety barrel. The majority of the classroom time covers filling out the application, getting the appropriate picture taken, and a sales pitch for their store.

Now, I might be crazy, but if someone is going to carry a concealed weapon on a regular basis the instructor needs to do a lot more than have a chat in the backroom and skip firearms proficiency testing. You might know what you are doing, but how many others have been fast tracked through the same course without having a clue about safe handling? That's what's very reassuring.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #20

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post

Wa doesnt have any training requirements, havent had any problems here, unlike nypd, training and 6 month quals, yet they managed to shoot innocent bystanders. Your argument is invalid. That said, i still took nra basic pistol few years before i got my cpl. You cant legislate people to make responsible choices. It's not constitutional, the idea is that everyone grows up shooting, taught by their parents, that way they already know the basics (and advanced) gun safety & handling. This society has gone to where it has to be told what to do and not do instead of thinking for itself and making the right choice on its own.

Last edited by phildenton; 01-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.