Small caliber CCW - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Small caliber CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #31
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

If you are going to use a 22lr pistol, load it with 40gr solids. Hp ammo is not as reliable in semi's and does not expand at the low velocities of the small handguns. If a person is not able to handle larger calibers for whatever reason, then a 22lr is better than nothing. If I were limited to a 22lr for HD, I would set up a 22lr semi auto carbine with a laser, red dot or halo, a 25 rnd mag and CCI Velocitor ammo.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #32

Don't ever underestimate the .22.It will kill you just as dead as a larger caliber.The Mossad and hit men have used .22 for ages,there must be a reason.I personaly have shot a cow in the head and they went down as if poleaxed.I carry a 380 or a 32 or a 9 depending on where I'm going.I can't believe that 2,3,or 4 .22's will not ruin a perps whole day.Never shoot just once,shoot until the danger is passed or down.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #33

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most definately dont stop shooting until they are done moven. The shooting in the washington train station back n the early nineties was don with a ruger 10/22 and that guy killed 3 or 4 ppl w stingers. Admittedly they were all head shots at less than 30 yards, but still it shows a 22 can and will kill someone

Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #34

i like this and it is not AN AOW

Small caliber CCW - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #35

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it a leather sleeve u slide onto the weapon? And wat is its purpose

Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Is it a leather sleeve u slide onto the weapon? And wat is its purpose
it is foam wrapped by leather, purpose is if the bad guy wants your wallet let him have the one that has a punch to it.

finger in both holes and bang, goodbye bad guy

and it just drops in , feels like a wallet stays put in normal pockets loose fitting pants it moves around a bit, i had a gut at a gun show line mine with kydak to stiffen it up a little.

and it is not an AOW as per some paper work i have

Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #37

Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle427 View Post
i like this and it is not AN AOW

Small caliber CCW - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Are you sure that exposed trigger is a good idea? I'd be real careful sliding that in any of MY pockets !!!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #38

been a year + now and have not even had a slip up,

same with my xd been carrying one of them for some time now, if you watch the video of the DEA / ATF (ONE OF THEM) agent enough shooting himself while showing the class that he is the only one in the room that is experience enough to handle the gun..
your booger hook will stay off the bang switch

also on the ruger and keltec that trigger sucks so bad with all the pull it has you would really have to screw up .

Last edited by chevelle427; 09-28-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Discussiono of caliber is far more comlex than can possibly be covered in a thread of this size.

Sufficient to say that I, for what it's worth, carry the largest caliber that I can bring into action and aim accurately AND repeat with speed.

One of the old gunslingers used to say "Make sure you can shoot fast.... but not TOO fast".

You must be able to bring the gun into action rapidly.
You must be able to make your shots very accurate.
You must be able to handle the recoil of the gun.
You must be able to repeat with speed and comfort.

For my part, I presently find that I have little or no trouble handling a .45ACP and that is my EDC, in a well engineered self defense round. That round, properly placed, is going to punch some serious holes and rip some serious damage.

We are looking for either (a) rapid bleedout and shock by hitting in the cardiovascular triange (picture a line between the nipples with the apex at the bottom of the throat); or (b) "dead stop shot" which generally is either a lucky shot causing shock and incapacitation from pain, or is a shot to the "dead stop triangle" that LE sharpshooters will try and use. A shot to the cerebral cortex resulting in a drop without so much as a twitch. Keeping in mind that there is a significant amount of luck involved here, the 'dead stop triangle' will have its base roughly along the lips with its apex slightly below the bridge of the nose. One must keep in mind that contact with bone can and will deflect a hit from its intended path.

Now, having said this, one can see the need for accuracy, comfort, speed, control. If one were to take a look at one of the recent issues of Concealed Carry magazine one would see a grandmother with mild arthritis who carries a .22 Magnum pistol, and is able to accomodate all of the above. Kudos! More power to her. It is most assuredly better to have SOMETHING in a lethal force encounter than nothing at all or a handbag.

You carry what you are able to handle and nothing more or less. That is (pardon the pun) optimum bang for the buck.

I am able to carry a .45ACP and hide it well using a variety of holsters (the never ending story - holsters). Be certain to practice with what you are going to be shooting under pressure. If that be .45ACP then you need to be shooting .45 ACP at practice and competition. These .22 conversion kits are dangerous in my humble opinion. Nothing like getting out there and letting one round off and having the gun fly out of your hand. The manual of arms MUST be the same for what you are carrying, using in service, etc.

I have no doubt that a day will come when I need to be using a 9mm and am preparing for that now.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #40

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Good points. My approach is:

1. Gun in caliber and grip that is comfortable that you can repeatedly fire and hit the target with consistently, in rapid order. (At the range, even if it looks silly, do some pushups to get your blood pumping to simulate an actual threat scenario), and then rapidly fire at the target.
Repeat as necessary until you are consistently, reflexively adjusting for the shaking arms you're probably going to have during a stress situation.

2. Be as picky on your holster. Make sure it's one you can easily and cleanly draw from rapidly, WHILE shaky, without tossing the weapon on the ground.
Don't laugh. It happens. Your holster is just as important in a crisis as your firearm is. If you have a firearm that gets hung up in the holster because you aren't used to it (lack of practice), or it's simply a 'cheapo' that hooks everything, you've basically just screwed yourself.
Remember the rule of 21. A BG can cover 21 feet in the time it takes you to draw and fire. Every fraction of a second counts, and you must be comfortable with your weapon system as a whole, and that means sidearm AND holster.
If you need to, empty the weapon and practice in front of the mirror at home. Odds are, you'll never need it, but if you do, that little bit of time spent practicing not only shooting, but drawing and acquiring your target, can be the difference between going to the station and giving your side of the story, or getting a ride in a station wagon with all your friends behind you.
You do NOT want to be in that station wagon. We call them hearses.