Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Small caliber CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Hmmm... Snubnose... Must've been a .38 if it was a revolver... Just sayin'... Trying to keep our termination accurate as possible so browsing folks don't get TOO confused...
Hahaha, total brain fart. Yeah, I meant .38 and I read .38....I don't know how that zero got on there. Can you tell I'm a little tired?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1171 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Who in the hell would want to be shot with any bullet? If you are a bad guy, and you get shot, you are probably at least going to a hospital, which would probably then cause arrest and incarceration. If all you have with you is small calibre, go ahead, ruin their day!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Hope I never have to shoot anyone or get shot my self, If you do have to pull the trigger small or big caliber MAKE IT COUNT!

Last edited by Billy9mm; 03-19-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: was on wrong page

Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

In defense of small caliber handguns. I do shoot quite a bit, and have come to the time in my life when I can no longer pull the slide back on my 9mm Keltec or the .380. Arthritis has taken its toll so now I am forced to use my Phoenix Hp22a. Being on a fixed income it is what I have. Commonly known as a Saturday Night special..I have to argue that. It goes bang everytime, and I can operate it. There are times when it is even difficult to even button my jeans! I dont know about you folks, but I wouldnt want to be shot with a .22 cal hollow point. I have 11 rounds to work with and always carry a spare 10 round mag for a total of 21. Now if the shooting is not over by that time, I guess I should not be carrying any firearm. Maybe just a roll of toilet paper to clean up my mess!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 775 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Study done on different calibers showed the 22 to be surprisingly deadly. I can't seem to find the link. I know I was surprised by the study conclusions.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
Study done on different calibers showed the 22 to be surprisingly deadly. I can't seem to find the link. I know I was surprised by the study conclusions.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866
This is a good one to read

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Asking the opinions of people who have only actually used a small caliber in defense is pointless. 99% of the time, a shot isn't even fired and the presence of a gun does the trick. Another .95% of the time, the attacker flees or otherwise submits. So, even if they've used a .22 several times, chances are they will have experienced four successful defensive uses with that firearm.

Sample size is key. Someone who has been in one case with a .25ACP and was able to fend off or even kill their attacker will have sufficient personal evidence to say "a .25ACP is 100% effective at stopping threats." Obviously, that is not the case. Omitting the input of those who have researched thousands of cases is foolish.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #28

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The thing bout shooting someone w any kind of gun big or small is to shoot for somewhere to hurt them. Center of mass has been taught by cops and soldiers for hundreds of years so id say that goes to show it works. I personally carry a colt 1911 loaded with federal 180 grain fusion hp and even with that if I have 2 shoot you im going to shoot you at least twice. Some one gets shot with three or four 22 hps n the chest is done.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #29

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
The thing bout shooting someone w any kind of gun big or small is to shoot for somewhere to hurt them. Center of mass has been taught by cops and soldiers for hundreds of years so id say that goes to show it works. I personally carry a colt 1911 loaded with federal 180 grain fusion hp and even with that if I have 2 shoot you im going to shoot you at least twice. Some one gets shot with three or four 22 hps n the chest is done.
I am with you here. A .22 or a .25, .380, 9x18 etc. might save your life. But where I come from mights (mites) are bugs that thrive on birds butts. With all of the choices of proven defensive calibers why carry a .380? Because it is light-weight? Because it is easy to conceal? I just don't get it.

There is a reason that police and the military use the larger calibers. There are a lot of cops here, ask why they don't carry a .380 for a service gun.

I like the .45, because they don't make a .46.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Stopping power is a perennial question when
it comes to small calibres. However, I remember
when growing up in New York City where many
funerals I attended were friends shot to death
with .22's and .38's. There were no questions then.