Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Small caliber CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Small caliber CCW

In this discussion, small caliber means anything from .380 and smaller. I have read several discussions with statements about small calibers like "with heavy clothing a BG might not feel it" or "it will only piss off a BG on drugs". I'd like to hear from two groups in this thread.

(1) People who have SHOT another person with a small caliber handgun

OR

(2) People who have BEEN SHOT with a small caliber handgun

The question is: Will a small caliber handgun do a good enough job of protecting me or is it a false sense of security?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #2

There are ways of testing ballistics without having shot someone or being shot by. If someone is here after being shot by, then they are either a criminal or stupid.

Here is a ballistics test posted on another forum I am on.

TEST ONE

.380ACP Federal Personal Defense (90 gr. Hydrashok)

Calibration = 3.1875" velocity = 582 ft./s.

Shot 1 - Penetrated 12.5"

Shot 2 - Exited block at 11.9375"

Shot 3 - Penetrated 12.4375"

Shot 4 - Penetrated 11.9375"

Shot 5 - Penetrated 12.0625"

Average impact velocity = 843 ft./s.

Average recovered diameter = 0.469"

Firearm = Kel-Tec P3AT

TEST TWO

Hello. I tested 5 rounds of .380ACP Federal Personal Defense from a P3AT in Ballistic Gelatin last weekend.

The gelatin was Vyse brand, mixed at 10% concentration into an FBI sized block (6x6x16)". Calibration BB traveled at 594 fps and penetrated 9.4cm.

The front of the block was covered in 1 layer of 100% cotton, new and unwashed, fruit-of-the-loom T-shirt material. This material was chosen after reviewing several 100s of mugshot photos of violent criminals and their choice of upper body clothing. It also is representative of clothing worn most of the time in the southern US, where I live.

Average penetration was 12.0"
Average expansion was 0.476"
Average impact velocity was 839fps.

Lot number = 2 09H449

This test was undertaken to find an expanding load for a semiauto .380ACP with a short barrel, that would penetrate to FBI minimum penetration depth. This turned out to be a very hard thing to do, with only the Federal load making the cut. I would seriously recommend to short-barreled .380ACP owners to test your bullets in a valid medium or have them tested by someone qualified to do so.

Here is a ballistics comparison between 9mm and .380.
9mm Versus .380 ACP For Self-Defense

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Sometimes, the just the sight of any firearm could stop an altercation.

But I don't like to bluff with a pair of 2's in a poker game, so I won't take a chance with a .22 when my life is on the line.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In 30 some years I cannot recall any incident where clothing stopped a round. I have seen badges, notebooks, pens, wallets, and other objects stop or deflect a round.

As to the smaller calibers, don't discount the damage they can do. Countless times I have seen gunshot victims die when shot with .22's and .25's. The bullet entered a part of the body and then zig zagged after bouncing off bones like a pinball and either exiting or remaining inside and causing so much internal damage the person died.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
In 30 some years I cannot recall any incident where clothing stopped a round. I have seen badges, notebooks, pens, wallets, and other objects stop or deflect a round.

As to the smaller calibers, don't discount the damage they can do. Countless times I have seen gunshot victims die when shot with .22's and .25's. The bullet entered a part of the body and then zig zagged after bouncing off bones like a pinball and either exiting or remaining inside and causing so much internal damage the person died.
I have to agree with this, any type of projectile flying at the speed ammo does is going to cause enough damage to either seriously hurt if not kill. I have an LCP and although I would rather be shot with that than the 1911, it would still be luck that would bring me out alive if not seriously hurt.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
In this discussion, small caliber means anything from .380 and smaller. I have read several discussions with statements about small calibers like "with heavy clothing a BG might not feel it" or "it will only piss off a BG on drugs". I'd like to hear from two groups in this thread.

(1) People who have SHOT another person with a small caliber handgun

OR

(2) People who have BEEN SHOT with a small caliber handgun

The question is: Will a small caliber handgun do a good enough job of protecting me or is it a false sense of security?
I will say this, never underestimate any small caliber, or the damage it can do. They will, and can indeed kill you.

Close proximity shots and placement, soft tissue targets, head, face, neck, chest, arms, groin, legs, feet. Keep firing, making all rounds count.

And I have never been attacked by a block of ballistics gel.....just saying.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post

There are cases, though where clothing has filled the hollow area of a hollowpoint bullet, causing it to fail to expand. That usually happens with much heavier clothing than a T-shirt, but it does happen. And that can dramatically affect the damage the bullet will do internally.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
There are cases, though where clothing has filled the hollow area of a hollowpoint bullet, causing it to fail to expand. That usually happens with much heavier clothing than a T-shirt, but it does happen. And that can dramatically affect the damage the bullet will do internally.
I have heard that before and it's very possible, but I'm saying with over 30 years of LEO work I have not seen it happen.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 03-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1334 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Urprising View Post
If someone is here after being shot, then they are either a criminal or stupid.

Or...as in my case...didn't duck fast enough.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Or...as in my case...didn't duck fast enough.
Or their home was invaded, or they were in the military being shot at, or they....