Sling Backpacks are cheap and tactical - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Sling Backpacks are cheap and tactical

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sausn2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
You've actually piqued my interest with this idea. As a student carrying concealed can be especially tricky because if by some chance somebody spots the imprint of your firearm, people will freak out (I do go to school in Virginia after all). I ride a bike several miles to campus everyday so heavy clothing isn't really an option while it's still so damn hot out.

Here it isn't illegal for me to carry concealed on campus, but I would get thrown out of school and the campus police would arrest me (even if it's a false arrest). I've known people to get called into the dean for having a pocket knife fall out of their pocket. Having it in a backpack is better than not having it at all despite the drawbacks.


Besides, who the hell would expect somebody carrying a man purse to be packing?
I live in Virginia too. I thought the gun laws were that you can't bring guns on school property. Are some places not like that? Just wondering. If you know more, then tell me.
__________________
U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate
since 2002, toured Persian Gulf, Africa, and South America = 25+ ports.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.
sausn2002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Could you post a picture or link showing the type of "sling backpack" you are talking about? I was thinking about a regular backpack before that goes on your back. I think you are talking about the kind with one shoulder strap.

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sausn2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 155
Default

Yes, I am talking about the one with only one shoulder strap, dubbed the sling pack.

sling backpack - Google Images

^this link will show several examples.

__________________
U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate
since 2002, toured Persian Gulf, Africa, and South America = 25+ ports.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.
sausn2002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mpd8488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
I live in Virginia too. I thought the gun laws were that you can't bring guns on school property. Are some places not like that? Just wondering. If you know more, then tell me.
I'm talking about public universities. K-12 schools are entirely different. As for Universities, as publicly funded institutions preemption prohibits any laws barring law abiding citizens from legally carrying on public university property. However in a statement the commonwealth's attorney released a few years ago he stated that under Virginia law universities have the right to prohibit students, faculty, and staff from carrying weapons on campus. They can throw you out of school for it, but carrying on campus does not violate any state laws.

Here's the pdf of the Attorney General's statement on the issue.
http://www.vaag.com/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf

As far as I know that's the most up to date statement on the issue, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
mpd8488 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sausn2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
I'm talking about public universities. K-12 schools are entirely different. As for Universities, as publicly funded institutions preemption prohibits any laws barring law abiding citizens from legally carrying on public university property. However in a statement the commonwealth's attorney released a few years ago he stated that under Virginia law universities have the right to prohibit students, faculty, and staff from carrying weapons on campus. They can throw you out of school for it, but carrying on campus does not violate any state laws.

Here's the pdf of the Attorney General's statement on the issue.
http://www.vaag.com/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf

As far as I know that's the most up to date statement on the issue, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Let me make sure I understand this. Virginia law doesn't really make it so you can't have a concealed firearm for self defense on school property, but as some universities/other are private property, the universities/other have a right to say that they prohibit concealed firearms on their property.

See, I thought that Virginia State law was that you can have a concealed firearm, but it can't leave your car and can't come out of concealment on school property.

Please someone clear this all up.
__________________
U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate
since 2002, toured Persian Gulf, Africa, and South America = 25+ ports.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.
sausn2002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mpd8488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
Let me make sure I understand this. Virginia law doesn't really make it so you can't have a concealed firearm for self defense on school property, but as some universities/other are private property, the universities/other have a right to say that they prohibit concealed firearms on their property.

See, I thought that Virginia State law was that you can have a concealed firearm, but it can't leave your car and can't come out of concealment on school property.

Please someone clear this all up.
I'm not talking about K-12 schools. That is an entirely different matter. Additionally private universities can (University of Richmond for instance) do whatever they want when it comes to banning anybody from carrying.

Public Universities, however, cannot stop a person who is legally carrying a weapon unless they are a student or staff member. That means that I could carry on Viginit Tech's, VCU's, JMU's, and UVA's campuses with no repercussions, but if I carry on William and Mary's campus (where I go to school) I can be expelled (but not charged with any crime).

Virginia law grants public universities a great deal of power when it comes to making rules and regulation for students, faculty, and staff. That authority, however, does not extend to all citizens who happen to be on the campus of a public university.
__________________
mpd8488 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sausn2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
I'm not talking about K-12 schools. That is an entirely different matter. Additionally private universities can (University of Richmond for instance) do whatever they want when it comes to banning anybody from carrying.

Public Universities, however, cannot stop a person who is legally carrying a weapon unless they are a student or staff member. That means that I could carry on Viginit Tech's, VCU's, JMU's, and UVA's campuses with no repercussions, but if I carry on William and Mary's campus (where I go to school) I can be expelled (but not charged with any crime).

Virginia law grants public universities a great deal of power when it comes to making rules and regulation for students, faculty, and staff. That authority, however, does not extend to all citizens who happen to be on the campus of a public university.
That all makes a heck of alot of sense. Only problem is that if a school you're attending allows concealed weapons, they sure wouldn't let you know out in the open, at least I assume. I sound wimpy saying this, but I sure don't want to have to go in the school office, and ask them if you can carry concealed weapons in their school, lol. I'm sure with today's school shootings, that would seem to be a bad idea.
__________________
U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate
since 2002, toured Persian Gulf, Africa, and South America = 25+ ports.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.
sausn2002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mpd8488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
That all makes a heck of alot of sense. Only problem is that if a school you're attending allows concealed weapons, they sure wouldn't let you know out in the open, at least I assume. I sound wimpy saying this, but I sure don't want to have to go in the school office, and ask them if you can carry concealed weapons in their school, lol. I'm sure with today's school shootings, that would seem to be a bad idea.
Every public university in the commonwealth bans the carrying of any weapons whatsoever. I think there may be a handful of private colleges and maybe even one VCCS community college that allows it. But as for public universities, if an administrator or an RA decides that that 3 inch pocket knife you always have clipped in your front pocket is a weapon you'll have a nice little chat with the dean.

Hence the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus movement. I thought about starting a chapter here but they have strict rules on statements you can make to the public regarding concealed carry. Basically I wouldn't be able to also advocate open carry if I was doing something in connection with SCCC.
__________________
mpd8488 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sausn2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
Every public university in the commonwealth bans the carrying of any weapons whatsoever. I think there may be a handful of private colleges and maybe even one VCCS community college that allows it. But as for public universities, if an administrator or an RA decides that that 3 inch pocket knife you always have clipped in your front pocket is a weapon you'll have a nice little chat with the dean.

Hence the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus movement. I thought about starting a chapter here but they have strict rules on statements you can make to the public regarding concealed carry. Basically I wouldn't be able to also advocate open carry if I was doing something in connection with SCCC.
Well, that's just great. Now I can look forward to getting my butt shot because I can't do anything about it if some moron comes in with a gun with negative ideas. If they won't let people bring self-defense weapons in, I highly hope they decide to spend extra money on cops or private contractors to check people for weapons when coming in, and if something goes down, they have a unit ready to go to eliminate threats. <without being able to bring my own protections, implemented security personnel with flexibility is the only way I'd feel safe, and being in the military, going through some checkpoints wouldn't bother me none.
__________________
U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate
since 2002, toured Persian Gulf, Africa, and South America = 25+ ports.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.
sausn2002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unknownhero82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 281
Default

yeah drawing from a holster might be faster...but most times when you go to draw from a holster...concealed or not it because apparent what you;re doing....where as in my opinion if i'm in a situation where someone has a gun be it a store being robbed or whatever...i think having a messenger bag would give the element of surprise...but that's just my opinion

__________________

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

unknownhero82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
M95 Steyr Sling fisher77 Curio & Relic Discussion 0 07-30-2009 03:26 AM
Backpacks $29.99-$14.99 Cope's Distributing Sponsor Display 1 07-16-2009 09:26 PM
What sling for and AR? v-man AR-15 Discussion 8 04-14-2009 11:14 PM
SureFire Light Mount & Sling for Mossberg 500A Tactical F22Raptor General Shotgun Discussion 0 02-16-2009 08:51 PM
Rifle Sling DrClaw .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 0 08-10-2007 04:42 PM