Shoulder Holsters & SOB Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Shoulder Holsters & SOB Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shoulder Holsters & SOB Questions

Any of Ya carry in a sholder holster?

Y'all remeber the Movie "Last Man Standing"( with Bruce Willis) & Sonny Crockets's twin 1911 shoulder harnesses?

I will soon own a Glock 29 10MM would this be a good gun to carry SOB?

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Shoulder holsters are great for concealed carry...if you are wearing a jacket all the time, I only wear one in the winter and I am not a sport jacket or suit wearing type guy. They do look sharp though, especially if you do a twin carry cross drawl!

A SOB holster is great if you never sit down, drive or fall flat on your back! Smaller the carry gun, the more tolerable it is. There are reported cases of spinal damage and paralysis resulting from others who SOB carried.

That said, a lot of people do indeed carry SOB, IWB and OWB, especially those with a "belly" issue. Adaption of a carry holster and style is what is comfortable and functionable for you, and may not be so for someone else.

Good luck in your decision!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

Shoulder holsters take some getting used-to. The overall comfort is not bad, but not as good as OWB, for me. It DOES require learning a new draw stroke so you do not sweep you arm as you draw (you - will - sweep everyone on your off-side).

The SOB is cussed by many in that a fall on your back could produce some frightful injuries to your back. It also requires a unique draw stroke to keep from sweeping your torso as you draw. That is my main objection to them. If you get one that is grip up, most of the problem from the draw stroke goes away.

Of those two, presuming you wear a coat most of the time, I would go for the shoulder holster.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use both the SOB and the shoulder holster. As a matter of fact I have the exact holster that Sonny Crocket wore in Miami vice.

My SOB is a butt up type that I use in a kidney carry rather than an actual small of the back. It sits right over my right back pocket and if I’m asked by a BG to get my wallet it is a natural move and rather than my money they get a surprise. It is very comfortable to sit in both a vehicle and a chair this way also. I carry a Smith & Wesson 4516 this way and love it.

My shoulder holster is alright but I’m still not comfortable wearing it and I’ve had it for 15 years, but that is just me I’m sure.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I use a shoulder holster sometimes. I like it because it helps hold my pants up rather than pulling them down with the weight of gun and reloads. It does require a jacket or vest but most set-ups do. Big advantage I see is if you have to use a public crapper. No worries about what to do with your gun.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I use a Bianchi AgentX shoulder rig same. Clothing permitting.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I do not limit myself to one way of carry. I have shoulder, SOB, IWB, and ankles. Depends on where I going and what I plan on doing. A dinner jacket looks a little out of place at the beach.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

During late fall through early spring I'll use an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster because it works really well with any kind of jacket. It does take a little getting use to vs an inside the pants holster that is normally used the rest of the time. The big advantage is carrying the gun where you can actually get to it while driving in Ohio. Use to carry a Taurus PT940, but now use a Glock 23. Both seem to workout fine.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sonny Crockett never used a 1911. His most popular pistol was a Bren 10. But there were others... but no 1911.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_in_Miami_Vice

Last edited by Mark F; 09-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I tried using a SOB holster from Galco and in the begaining I liked it but it does take some getting used to. Especially if you tried to sit or drive for long periods of time.

As for a shoulder holster it is not very practical for me here in Az. It is way to hot to try and a jacket durning the day.

If you have any type of shoulder problems it is hard to reach behind your back for a quick smooth draw. Which is the reason I went to a strong side holster.