Which Shoulder Holster?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which Shoulder Holster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Which Shoulder Holster?

I have been wearing my 1911 around the house in a Triple K speed scabbard. I am not long enough in the torso for it to be comfortable. It just sits too high to be comfortable. So I've decided that when we've moved to our new home, I will use a shoulder holster. I'm also not that wide front to back, so a horizontal carry rig won't work either. So that leaves me with vertical carry.

So far, I've looked at the Galco VHS, the Bianchi X15 and the Triple K Challenger. I'm torn between the VHS and the X15. The Challenger looks very similar to the X15 and I think I'd prefer the Bianchi if I go with that design.

I also wonder if it's a problem carrying condition one in either of them.

So, would the folks that use shoulder holsters for carry kindly tell me what rig you use and please give me some input on the ones I'm considering.

Thanks

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have both Galco and Bianchi. The Bianchi I don't care for because they use elastic to go over the opposite shoulder. The Galco is better but uses some pretty thin leather. I can't speak to your third choice. Between Galco and Bianchi, I would go with the Galco. They both do the job they are designed for though.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So there's no problem carrying cocked and locked with the Galco?

I prefer the way the VHS looks although, obviously, it will be concealed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I use the commander length in my rig. I forgot what brand, but the Ed Brown is held in a horizontal position without sticking out too bad.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah, the horizontal won't work for me. I like El Paso Saddlery holsters, but they don't make a vertical carry model. I also can't afford a custom holster. Under $200. and preferably less work for me.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I still like this one, and they build it for the Colt Commander

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have the Bianchi Agent X rig and love it. It is all leather but It's horizontal. THe X15 is a vertical rig but I've not seen one other than pics to say much about it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
So there's no problem carrying cocked and locked with the Galco?

I prefer the way the VHS looks although, obviously, it will be concealed.
No problem at all. I carry mine cocked and locked exclusively. Galco does make a vertical carry rig also.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I wore a Bianchi leather for many years with my Ruger Speed Six snubbie and found it a very comfortable slap-draw, but that was in a colder climate. Still, it's good to have one for another carry option especially with heavier models and I may get one for my 1911. Let us know what you get and how it rides.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 12-31-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, but it will be a while.