Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Should we even need a CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can't we let Darwin decide?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #22

In Texas it is legal to carry a weapon in your vehicle - period. Just lucky that road rage hasn't ended in a shoot out !

When I renewed my CCW license there were folks there, first timers, that I swear had just come from the gun shop, weapon still wrapped in grease paper and not knowing how to load it. During qualifying, I made sure they were at the other end of the firing line from me.

I cannot recall ANY CCW holder in Texas that has been involved in an illegal action with their weapon, and don't remember ever hearing any news about a CCW holder stopping any crime or shooting a perp.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. I have made up my mind that extreme conditions would have to exist for me to kill someone else. That condition being a direct threat to me or mine.

The laws are enforced as guilty until proven not and your weapon will be confiscated for evidence and you might get it back sometime. Advice is lay the weapon down with your CHL , shut your mouth and call a criminal lawyer.

It is quite a responsibility as well as a Contitutional right.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RairWeatherSmok View Post
In Texas it is legal to carry a weapon in your vehicle - period. Just lucky that road rage hasn't ended in a shoot out !

When I renewed my CCW license there were folks there, first timers, that I swear had just come from the gun shop, weapon still wrapped in grease paper and not knowing how to load it. During qualifying, I made sure they were at the other end of the firing line from me.

I cannot recall ANY CCW holder in Texas that has been involved in an illegal action with their weapon, and don't remember ever hearing any news about a CCW holder stopping any crime or shooting a perp.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. I have made up my mind that extreme conditions would have to exist for me to kill someone else. That condition being a direct threat to me or mine.

The laws are enforced as guilty until proven not and your weapon will be confiscated for evidence and you might get it back sometime. Advice is lay the weapon down with your CHL , shut your mouth and call a criminal lawyer.

It is quite a responsibility as well as a Contitutional right.
(1) You haven't been watching the 6:00 News...

Hardly a week goes by before I see another Road Rage "Incident" on the News, up here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. You are correct (for the most-part) in that it's legal to conceal-carry in your vehicle in Texas... as long as you (personally) meet the State mandated criteria. Even so, there isn't any guarantee you won't be arrested in certain counties. And that's precisely why I got my CHL.

(2) Apparently you don't have a Texas CHL, because Texas DPS doesn't (nor do real Texans) call it CCW.

(3) In Texas you can, and you should... help and defend those in need. Even others property.

(4) What if it's your family member needing help, and you aren't there? Wouldn't you like "someone" to help save your family members life and/or properties? I guess not...

Last edited by Mark F; 09-17-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
(1) You haven't been watching the 6:00 News...

Hardly a week goes by before I see another Road Rage "Incident" on the News, up here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. You are correct (for the most-part) in that it's legal to conceal-carry in your vehicle in Texas... as long as you (personally) meet the State mandated criteria. Even so, there isn't any guarantee you won't be arrested in certain counties. And that's precisely why I got my CHL.

(2) Apparently you don't have a Texas CHL, because Texas DPS doesn't (nor do real Texans) call it CCW.

(3) In Texas you can, and you should... help and defend those in need. Even others property.

(4) What if it's your family member needing help, and you aren't there? Wouldn't you like "someone" to help save your family members life and/or properties? I guess not...

1) Lots of road rage, just no shootouts at the OK corral on I10.

2) Yes I have a CHL, I was following the nomenclature used as the title of the post.

3) Depends on whether it can be done without collateral damage and unless it is your property protected under the Castle Doctrine, I doubt it.

4) Mine are all of age and carry their own!! Stay out of and away from places that are going to cause problems. Can't avoid the random purse snatching or car jacking unless you are vigilant. Being an old fart, I am seldom out after 10 & nothing good happens after midnight !!

A few months ago Cops were chasing a perp thru an apartment complex. Mr. Goodguy off duty security guard dressed all in black decided to join in the chase. Guess who the cops shot !!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #25

Default IS CCW necessary

According to the Constitution NO. In the state of ALASKA and NEW HAMPSHIRE NO. In the rest of the U.S. rules are stricter we need to change them the Constitution states "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" but the political in power apparently do not know this?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #26

Liked 156 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I see it both ways.I think for someone like me who was raised right and have been handling all kinds of firearms my whole life and go hunting,I don't think a CCW is needed,as where maybe someone who has never fired a gun in their life and is bloodthirsty,maybe they need a class to tell them how to operate a gun and when to or not to shoot.And as for me personally,I don't have a CCW because my state won't let me have one,I have a "history"of mental illness,so I guess that means i'm dangerous,although,I do own a registered handgun which the state issued me a permit to buy,but a guess a CCW is going too far I guess,I don't know the sense of my state's legislation.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 617

Default Get it if You Can!

It is worth it to me to not worry about transporting,carrying or concealed.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #28

Default Need for CCW

While I do not need it in the State of Alaska I do have my CCW and have had it for many years. I have the right to carry in many other States that way, and also I feel that some people have a need to know the rules and duties of concealed carry before carrying a gun. Some of the populous are not clear of the rules and duty and responsibility entailed in carrying a gun.

Newest Threads