Should we even need a CCW
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Should we even need a CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default Should we even need a CCW

With arizona passing their new law, the debate has been running stong here in CO wether it should be necessary to even have the whole CCW process. I want your opinions. I have talked to several LEOs here and the majority of them say its a waste of time because the ones that are doing the damage are the ones who arent even allowed to have firearms to begin with. With the concealed carry laws set up to protect LEO personel in the first place and they have proven that those like you and I who are responsible and safe were not the issue should they make it legal for us to carry without a permit? We can open carry here in CO with little or no issue except the occasional out of stater from back east that thinks guns are the anti-christ. Here you can carry concealed on your person in your home or car with out a permit. We have some great laws that protect the law abiding citizen and some awsome LEOs to work with. What do you think remove the CCW laws and just allow for CC without a permit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #2

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The process for getting a CHL, at least in Texas, requires training about laws concerning handguns and safety procedures, a written test, and a proficiency test. Those serve a valuable purpose.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
The process for getting a CHL, at least in Texas, requires training about laws concerning handguns and safety procedures, a written test, and a proficiency test. Those serve a valuable purpose.
In some ways I agree with you Lon; however, the training requirement can be misused. Here in GA we have no training requirement right now. Our state equivalent of the Brady's proposed to the state legislature that we adopt a training requirement. They recommended 40 hours of classroom instruction and a cost approaching $500.

Who can afford a week off from work AND a $500 fee? This was an end-around to prohibit folks from getting a permit and it never gained any traction. I believe in training; however, I do not believe in government mandates. Many think the 2nd Amendment IS our permit and I agree in principle - but I also know it will likely never happen...

Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Training can be conducted in a couple of weekend courses. That's 4 days of intense training time to fill. The legislatures need to get real on this issue and get the fees down where the average Joe can afford it if need be.

Last edited by dunerunner; 09-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #5

Imagine if you will a 18 year old able to buy a weapon without any training at all.

While I do not agree that a piece of paper gives us the right to have weapons to defend ourselves, the words on one piece of paper do. The people who wrote those words just figured that youngsters had parents that taught them the right way to take care of weapons. Not today. So in that light perhaps we should expect that people meet with veterans groups, police associations, local ranges, that have competent trained instructors to simply verify the person wanting a weapon knows how to handle it? Someone somewhere has to verify the ability of the person wanting a weapon. I am quite aware that there will always be those who get weapons who should not have them. Think about it, do you think it would be okay to send a kid out in a car and simply let them drive? Not an easy thing to resolve. There is no special key or magic word that can be used to ensure all weapon holders are of sound mind and will do no harm. In fact, that is why there are LEO's and such along with us "Legal Folk" to help somewhat to keep them in check. That's my two bits, I'll be quiet now!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My background has me cheering for training and certification requirements, including periodic monitoring. My constitutional side has me asking "Who the fork are YOU to ask me about my abilities and intent?"
Great question. I opt for the constitutional side, as criminals don't give a damn about laws. Putting the onus on the law-abiding gives the maggots the upper hand. I'd rather see everyone armed to the teeth than just the zombies.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man I would love to be able to get my CCW while im out here in cali. the place were i fell that i need a gun the most is the most impossible place to get a ccw. Here in SD of all the population only .001 percent have a CCW (10,000 out of over 1,000,000)you have to do a course and training and then have a reason that "they" deam valid as to why you want and should be aloud to have your CCW. I want my CCW so when i get mugged buy that guy that doesnt have one i can shoot his ass and not go to jail. I will be gettin my CCW in TN the next time i go home on leave since im still a permanent state or residance. and i believe the TN one is good for 38 or so states! i love my state!

sorry guys i hate Kommiefornia only 2 years till i get to transfer outta here!
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #8

I didn't read the part about needing the governments permission in the second amendment. Requiring a license to own or carry a gun is against the law and should not be tolerated.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe in Concealed Carry laws. Just because you ban concealed carry doesn't mean that some gang member ain't gonna tuck his pistol in his pants and pull his shirt down.

Banning Concealed Carry takes away from the responsible ones. The robbers/gang members/whackos are still gonna conceal weapons on their body anyway.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

every criminal that is shot by a law abiding citizen interrupting a criminal act denies the democratic party a vote. that is why they block every effort for common folk to carry weapons. obama and his ilk could give three farts if a honest person dies at the hands of a gangster.

Newest Threads