Should my friend get a CCW?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Should my friend get a CCW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default Should my friend get a CCW?

Ok so my buddy asjed me what I thought about him getting a CCW or CHL as they are called here in Texas. He asked becuse he occassionaly smokes weed. This is not an every day thing, ir every week thing he says, but it happens monthly. Now his concern is if he gets a CHL and ever has to defend himself, will this get him in trouble? I told him well on applications to buy guns it asks if your addicted too or dependant on drugs or alcohol. My CHL application asked the same thing, addicted or dependant on drugs or alcohol. I told him if its in your system its going to be a headache either way, but they can prove your " addicted or dependant ". Being a CHL holder you take on alot more responsibility, Texas requires an 8-10 hour class. So IMO having a CHL and a dirty system is aloy worse then just a dirty syatem - in the event yoi have to defend yourself. Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #2

Correction = They cant prove your addicted***

Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I would say no. I am not against weed, in fact I fully support it being legal. However, at this point it is illegal and having it in your system in the event of defensive shooting will be a bad thing, same as if you got into one with alcohol in your system. The main difference is that THC stays in your system longer. Your friend could smoke a joint one day and get in a shooting the next and still have the THC in his system. Where as if he had a few beers on night and got in a shooting the next day the alcohol is gone. We all know not to carry if we are under the influence of any substance (I hope), and yes I know weed does not affect people the same as booze, but if you have anything in your system and get in a shooting, you will have a much harder time dealing with the DA.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I would rather go to jail then be dead. If you pull your weapon and kill someone it should be because if you didn't they were going to kill you. If you would rather die then answer a lot of questions and maybe find yourself in court defending your actions... don't waste your money on a gun.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Pretty easy answer. He has a choice - quit the pot and get the permit or keep the pot and don't get the permit and don't carry.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

In what circumstance would they take a blood or urine specimine after a self defense shooting? It is not a DWI. If he smokes once a month, he will likely test "dirty" all the time, but why would they test?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

The problem is they don't care when u smoked its in your system if he is a small guy n works out or has a low fat content it won't be in his system that long but federal law says no drugs n guns

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #8

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Pretty easy answer. He has a choice - quit the pot and get the permit or keep the pot and don't get the permit and don't carry.
I guess this is what I was trying to say, but I got long winded and distracted.
Also, Robo, I'm not sure what circumstance they would draw blood, I've never been involved in a shooting so I don't know what exactly happens.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #9

Come to think of it I havent heard too many stories where the victim who defended themselves had to be tested, but i have heard of a few. But to that, i always say anything CAN happen. The DA could make it happeb easy if they were so inclined. A tad off topic, dont LEOs get blood test if they have to shoot someone as part of procedure?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I may be mistaken, but I think Zimmerman was tested after he shot the Martin punk.