Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A carry weapon without a round in the pipe is as useless as hell. I dont carry a weapon to act cool and scare someone, i carry it to protect myself and my family by stopping the action of anyone tht is commited to hurting me or my family. Most of the time when the s*** hits the fan u wont have time to rack one anyways

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #32

Wow, now that is passion! LOL And I completely agree with it!

Carry with one in the pipe. If you are afraid of an accident, you probably should reconsider carrying at all.

Train, practice, train, and practice some more. But never leave the life of your loved ones, or your own, up to chance! Carry a Glock! (Sounds like a good ad campaign!)

Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 AM   #33

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I SAFELY remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

Condition 1 and only! (Google it!)

Racking a round to battery can be done in a heartbeat..........more than likely, your last heartbeat!

If you are afraid of the gun you carry, maybe it's best you don't carry!

My 1_2cents.jpg worth.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #34

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Train, practice, train, and practice some more. But never leave the life of your loved ones, or your own, up to chance! Carry a Glock! (Sounds like a good ad campaign!)
I was with ya up until the red.

OP, you asked my opinion on your "Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?" [sic] question...................Google "Glock Leg"; its reputation has coined it's own slang term!

Can you say Plaxico Burress?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-30-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #35

Likes Given: 1

I am not afraid of the glock. Just after 30+ years of safety don't load till you want to shoot and make sure its on safe is hard to get over. But like I told a friend today times have changed. The idea of one of my kids hugging me and it firing scare me a bit.

But after looking at the holster that doesn't bother me any more.

Last edited by warhawk77; 08-30-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #36
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
You're right handed I'm guessing? It's probably your shooting stance, not meaning anything personal by it. but i had the same issue when I started because I was using a right hand biased stance instead of a full neutral. made the transition, and yes it took some training and concentration to get right. Shooting low is just range gauging, most people who shoot alot do it naturally some people never pick it up and have to remind themselves about it.
I'll take any advice I can get but why would I do it only with a glock? Every other pistol I use I'm fine. That's what I don't get.

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #37
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
You guys are starting to make me feel bad about my size I didn't think I was that big.
Things you generally never hear guys say...

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I was with ya up until the red.

OP, you asked my opinion on your "Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?" [sic] question...................Google "Glock Leg"; its reputation has coined it's own slang term!

Can you say Plaxico Burress?

LOL! Nice Cane, nice!

I think that is more the shooter's fault than the gun, and it doesn't only happen with Glocks, people just use it to give themselves a reason not to own one.

Some people have a hard time with the glock grip angle, so people don't like polymer guns. To each their own. I own a few glocks, a few 1911's, a beretta, and a few others. I won't own a taurus as they are too hit or miss and there are better 1911 and M9/92fs style guns available, I like some keltecs but don't own any, and I am in the market for a wheel gun or two, but I wont go telling people not to use or buy something if they want to, and it's a good product. If you can drive a nail with a glock, and can't hit the barn with a 1911, than carry a glock, if the op is true, carry a 1911.

There is a reason that Glocks and 1911s are among the highest selling guns. No, not all 1911's are created equal, and some just should be ignored, but that doesn't mean anyone should talk down about someone for buying one.

I find the people on Glocktalk seem more accepting of non-glocks than the people on all other forums seem about glocks. With few acceptions.

Hey Cane, I get my hind back to FL, I'll bring my Glock 34, and you can see if it might make you think about them a little better! LOL Oh, and know, I am looking at a Colt for my next 1911! LOL It's the only Glock I've ever shot that feels like a polymer double stack, not unlike my old Wilson KZ.

Last edited by Hackett; 08-30-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
I would recommend replacing the factory barrel with a Lone Wolf barrel...then you can safely shoot factory and reloaded ammo and eliminate KB issues.
I've been shooting hard cast lead hand loads in every Glock I've ever owned (with the exception of a .45 GAP I had for a few months before I traded it for another .40 that was only because it was so new there weren't any reloading dies available for it) ever since I got a Gen1 17 to try and break it in 1986 and never had a KB issue. Good quality hard cast hand loads are not a problem for a Glock or any other pistol, but poor quality hand loads and soft lead bullets are a problem for any pistol.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Good safety habits become hardwired when practiced repeatedly..

Warhawk, I had been carrying a 1911 for 8 years on a daily basis before I went to the police academy and chose to carry my Glock 17 since the county provided either .38 spl or 9mm but nothing else and I saw no need to provide my own .45 ACP ammo. After the first time on the range one of the Firearms Instructors asked me if I normally carried a 1911 or BHP. I told him and asked him why he'd asked, he told me that I was sweeping my thumb down where the safety on a 1911 or BHP would be before ever placing my index finger in the trigger guard when online with the target and was flipping it back up when I knew I wouldn't be shooting anymore prior to reholstering!

I had no idea that I was doing it, but it makes perfect sense to me because I had performed the same actions so many times that I did it without even thinking about it. If you've been carrying and shooting a 1911 for several years you'll practice the same safety with a Glock or any other striker fired pistol that you've practiced with a 1911 or other single action with a frame mounted thumb safety.

I've seen more people have unintentional/negligent discharges with Glocks after carrying revolvers for years (perhaps because so many people have developed the bad habit of placing their index finger on the trigger as soon as they clear the holster and keep it there as they reholster. That is an invitation to have a unintentional/negligent discharge.