Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Carry the firearm you know, and can use, the best. Basically go "is this the gun i want to wager my life on?".

Now, if you just dont' like Glocks and want something glock-like, check out a S&W M&P9C. I like it better than my G19 (which I want to sell) as it feels more comfortable and all, but it still has the glock functionality with the safety and all.

My issue with the glock is really me, not the glock. My sights are dead on (other people have shot it to show me) but I ALWAYS shoot low and to the right with it. Every single time, in a tight grouping. Smith at the range looked at my target and thought the sight would need to be adjusted too, but took shots himself and they were dead center. So I'm doing something wrong, but at least I'm consistent as hell! Wish I knew what it was about the Glock making me do it as I don't have the same issue with any other of my pistols, or my dad's ones either.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it's right for you I'd say carry it. The only gun I will tell people to absolutely not carry as a primary is anything .380 and that's not so much because of the bullet itself..even though it is, in my opinion, Lacking in power and reliability. It's more because the guns themselves just seem to come with issues built in. As far as carrying it, I carry a Full Size M&P45 so I don't see any issues with a G17. It's really about reliability and control. If it's reliable and you can control it quickly and efficiently I'd say carry it everyday. Usually, for me anyway, if i've had any reliability issues I don't like to carry things. So that's my major concern. If you've had -- RECENT -- failures to go into battery, feed failures, extraction failures, stovepipes, anything I'd say look into something else. my M&P even during the breakin period with really cheap FMJ ammo had zero issues and during my testing with hollowpoints, no issues, and with the TAP FPD +P I use in it has had zero issues so that's why i like it and trust it. plus the night sights and laser light and the dark earth color..but ya know..those are perks I'd say.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Like Ignatius Piaza of Front sight says "Any gun will do, if you will do". Go with what you're comfortable with, if you decide it's not working for you then try something different.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
Carry the firearm you know, and can use, the best. Basically go "is this the gun i want to wager my life on?".

Now, if you just dont' like Glocks and want something glock-like, check out a S&W M&P9C. I like it better than my G19 (which I want to sell) as it feels more comfortable and all, but it still has the glock functionality with the safety and all.

My issue with the glock is really me, not the glock. My sights are dead on (other people have shot it to show me) but I ALWAYS shoot low and to the right with it. Every single time, in a tight grouping. Smith at the range looked at my target and thought the sight would need to be adjusted too, but took shots himself and they were dead center. So I'm doing something wrong, but at least I'm consistent as hell! Wish I knew what it was about the Glock making me do it as I don't have the same issue with any other of my pistols, or my dad's ones either.
You're right handed I'm guessing? It's probably your shooting stance, not meaning anything personal by it. but i had the same issue when I started because I was using a right hand biased stance instead of a full neutral. made the transition, and yes it took some training and concentration to get right. Shooting low is just range gauging, most people who shoot alot do it naturally some people never pick it up and have to remind themselves about it.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 08-29-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo / sp

Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelooker View Post
Like Ignatius Piaza of Front sight says "Any gun will do, if you will do". Go with what you're comfortable with, if you decide it's not working for you then try something different.
This is one of the reasons why I don't like him. because any gun will not do. Every gun has a purpose, would you bet your life on a .22 or a .380? I wouldn't. I don't even go out camping with a sidearm smaller than 9mm because the things that are dangerous out there in the woods, People and Wild Animals, might be good sized. they don't make hunting rifle calibers go up in comparison to size of game for no reason, same applies to people, bigger men might need a bigger bullet to stop them. I applaud front sight on alot of things, their pricing is not one of them ofcourse, but some of their logic and founding ideas also fall outside my belief system.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I would buy a different pistol. Maybe a Desert Eagle in 44mag. You are big enough to carry that.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #27

Likes Given: 1

At lunch I did some research on the Taurus and it does sound nice but not for me.

I do a lot of driving in my job 120 miles so far today and while driving I have been thinking over the diff issues and weighing the answers. Here is what I came to.

1 I already own the glock so save me a lot of cash
2 glock is one of the best pistols if not the best
3 9mm should stop about anything
4 if one 9mm won't stop it I have 16 more that will

I also stopped at a gun shop and looked at holster. They have the black hawk that looks very nice just won't go in side the waist band. But $50 out the door sounds pretty good.

Thanks for all the info I feel a lot better about carrying the glock now.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #28

Likes Given: 1

You guys are starting to make me feel bad about my size I didn't think I was that big.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #29

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

My glock 17 3rd Gen is my carry gun. I use a crossbreed. Perfect combo IMHO. Nice retention and very very comfortable.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #30

This comes up relatively often on GlockTalk.com and it is always a debate over a few different things, and usually comes down to whether or not you are confident in your ability to not pull the trigger until you need to, are you going to use a quality holster that prevents access to the trigger or something snagging on the gun, are you going to put in the range time to practice? (recommend you start with snap caps if you are truly worried about an accidental discharge happening.

Look at how many people a day carry a Glock with one in the pipe! I carry a 23 all the time.

As for the KB comment, with the # of Glocks sold each each being more than any other handgun, and knowing they have less issues than S&W, Ruger, Taurus, KelTec, and many others who sell many less guns, says a lot about how overstated the Glock KB issue is, especially when the Gen 1 17 is not a model that has really had that issue. (Mostly 10mm, and 45GAP)

It really does come down to what exactly has you worried about it?

Some people say carry with the pipe empty as the racking sound is often enough to cause fear in an attacker, but they you are assuming you will see them coming.

I think you'll be fine, just remember all that safety you were taught and get some practice in drawing from concealed without any rounds in the gun or snap caps to see just how many accidental trigger pulls you have.

Your brain is your best and only true safety when it comes to guns!