Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycharlie2
If you feel safe with your Glock, by all means carry it. On the other hand I look for excuses to buy another gun
Totally agree...do what is good for you. I own the m&p in 9,40,and45 in compact version. Two have the thumb safety. I'm more comfortable with the thumb safety...easy to use. I also carried Glocks years ago and no issues...great firearm.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

there is a term for people shooting themselves in the leg holstering safe action glocks... its called "Glock Leg".

any pistol that has enough self inflicted woundings to have a term coined for it is prolly wise to think twice.

if you have a concern about it its prolly always gonna be there. sig pistols have a stiffer da pull tends to prevent "glock leg" there is also springfield xd generally a better version of the striker gun than glocks are. they have a 1911 like grip safety to help prevent shooting yourself with it.

the smith m&p has the same issues as glocks

ultimately its up to you to make your own decisions

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #13

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the info.

I think I will look into a good holster. I put the glock in the back of my belt tonight and carried it around for a bit to see if it was heavy or out of place. For the bit I did it was fine.

Thanks again I am feeling better about the glock.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #14

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Gould and goodrich makes good concealment holsters, they stay pretty close to u making ur gun not silouette as much... Hell as big as u are u dont need a gun.. Just carry around a switch,lol

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #15

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Regardless of what I'm carrying any given day, I ALWAYS holster the gun, then attach the holster or put it in the pocket or slide the belt through it, etc. I don't put on the holster and then load the gun into the holster.

Too many potential problems. When I take it off at the end of the day or whatever, I remove the entire holster with the pistol still in it.

Just my little routine. I started my carrying life with a Glock, then a Kahr, both striker-fired DAO's. Today I mostly carry 1911, but still do it this way. Every now and then at the end of the day I take off the pistol in the holster and notice the thumb safety has been snicked off at some point. But with 1911 I still have a grip safety and the holster protects the SA trigger.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #16

Likes Given: 1

I was asking a friend at work today about the hostler he uses. Long story short he offered to sell me his Taurus 380 TCP. It comes with 3 clips and 200 rounds for $300.

Doesn't sound bad but I was trying to stay away from a new caliber and don't know much about the pistol need to research it.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #17

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Being a cop for 9 years i carried a glock 31 and it went in and out of my holster probly over 1,000 times "with me wearing it on my side" without any problems. It all depends on u and ur safety habits. The main thing is "keep ur finger out of the trigger guard unless u are gonna intend on firing it" its one of the first things u learn when u trained to use a firearm. Normally the people tht have accidental discharges its due to carelessness or simply not paying attention. It doesnt matter wether u carry a glock or 1911, u have to b able to b safe with it.which ever choice u make will b a good one.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
I have a 1st gen glock 17 and I want to get my permit so I can carry a pistol when out and about with the family.

I have heard all the details about glock safety trigger, very safe, won't fire unless trigger pulled, and a few other nice fact/belief on the glocks.

I feel the glock is as close to 100% reliable as you can get so I know it is a great gun just not sure I should carry it. Many years of keeping firearms safe drilled into me makes like a safety switch over other things. Looking at some holsters I see I can't put my finger on the trigger until after it is pulled from the holster so no way to "pull" trigger before I'm ready.

But if I go with a different pistol that has a safety switch that is one more thing to do before I can shoot it in a emergency. So that gets me thinking just stick with the glock and get a good rig to carry it.

I am 6' tall 240 pounds (give or take a few) so I am not small and lots of room to hide the glock

What do you guys/gals think about carrying a glock?
I carry a Glock of one model or another EVERY day. Did so as a cop for 85% of my career. I trust it completely.

Your SAFETY is between your ears. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, and you are golden.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Glock 17 is an excellent pistol that will serve you well. The durability, reliability, affordability, and firepower make it one of the most popular personal defense firearms in the world.

I would purchase a quality holster that covers the trigger area, and be vigilant when holstering (which you must do with any firearm). Carry the gun you have, and let that experience inform you on what you would like to be different.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like ArizonaLawman and I have said, the saftey is between your ears. I always have my finger outside of the trigger guard until my firearm is pointed down range and I'm ready to fire otherwise it stays out of the trigger guard. I never rely on thumb safties for the very reason they can be taken off accidentally. That's why I carry my Ruger SR9c without the thumb saftey on, and instead rely on my internal saftey, the firing pin block, and the trigger saftey.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp