Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Should I carry my glock or buy a diff pistol?

I have a 1st gen glock 17 and I want to get my permit so I can carry a pistol when out and about with the family.

I have heard all the details about glock safety trigger, very safe, won't fire unless trigger pulled, and a few other nice fact/belief on the glocks.

I feel the glock is as close to 100% reliable as you can get so I know it is a great gun just not sure I should carry it. Many years of keeping firearms safe drilled into me makes like a safety switch over other things. Looking at some holsters I see I can't put my finger on the trigger until after it is pulled from the holster so no way to "pull" trigger before I'm ready.

But if I go with a different pistol that has a safety switch that is one more thing to do before I can shoot it in a emergency. So that gets me thinking just stick with the glock and get a good rig to carry it.

I am 6' tall 240 pounds (give or take a few) so I am not small and lots of room to hide the glock

What do you guys/gals think about carrying a glock?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recommend you carry the firearm you're the most comfortable with and shoot the best. For me I carry a Ruger SR9c, because I love the trigger on it and it has everything I want and nothing I don't. Later down the road I'll probably replace it with a Springfield XDm or something similar to that.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Are you asking about whether the platform is wrong/right for carrying? Or are you asking whether the size of the G17 is wrong/right for carrying?

If the question is about platform, then it is entirely about comfort for you concerning your ability to be effective with that pistol. It is a common service pistol for some very good reasons.

If the question is about size, then I'm not sure it is a great option. If the round (9mm) and the platform (GLOCK) are right for you, then perhaps the G26 is more up your alley.

You would not be the first nor the last to carry the Glock 17 as your primary handgun.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

I guess the main question is am I nuts for being worried about the safety?

I am not worried about a 9mm stopping power. I know its less than a 45 but more then enough to drop a person.

If anyone has a pic of how you carry you glock that would be great.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

I would recommend replacing the factory barrel with a Lone Wolf barrel...then you can safely shoot factory and reloaded ammo and eliminate KB issues.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you feel safe with your Glock, by all means carry it. On the other hand I look for excuses to buy another gun

Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As long as you're careful, mindful, and safe while you carry, the Glock shouldn't be much of an issue regarding its mechanical safties. The biggest saftey you have is between your ears .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

A good holster and the trigger is protected. And being careful while putting the GLOCK into the holster (nothing getting into the trigger guard) and you should be good to go.

There are a million different guns to choose to carry. No, you're not crazy for wanting to carry your Glock 17.

That's just my opinion, though. I've made different choices for my carry gun(s), but I won't try to make my choices yours.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I personally dislike manual safeties. One time I was carrying my old 92 Cocked and Locked (hammer back, safety on), and looked down to see the safety had at some point been flipped off. I know I didn't do it with my hand, so it could have been something like my seatbelt that actuated the safety lever.

I always carried with the hammer down before that, because like you said I didn't want one more thing to worry about when I've got 3 seconds to act before I'm killed. After this incident, I've never, EVER relied on a manual safety. Any decent defensive handgun will have enough internal safeties that they won't go off unless you pull the trigger.

Now, I know lots of people carry C&Led pistols with no problems, but that was my experience.

I will say, you HAVE to practice safe habits. Most people have a tendency to put their finger on the trigger as soon as they're facing the target, even with the weapon in a low-ready position or (worse), aimed upward. Make sure you really do keep your finger out of the guard until you're aiming the weapon where you want to. At first, if you don't already do this, it will see like it's slowing you down, but with practice it will become second nature.

And the best part about developing these habits, is it will then apply to handling ANY weapon, ANY time. Some silly friend could hand you a cocked 1911 with the safety off, and you'll never have to worry about accidentally shooting yourself in the foot or whatever, because you'll have the best safety habits already engrained.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IMO, I would try the 17 you are used to a few times when you are out and about. If it is not comfortable then i would go with the 19 or something else.