Shot an intruder last night...dead!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Shot an intruder last night...dead!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default Shot an intruder last night...dead!

We are sitting on the couch and watching TV, when all of a sudden my wife starts up and nearly trips over the fan by her at the couch. We have an intruder on the porch. Dogs are going nuts, and what do I do? I grab the .22 Ruger Mark II 6". Now, I'm sitting there with a Millennium PRO .45 ACP on, in an concealed holster, and my Bersa .380 that is a tack driver and very close by is also ignored, and I grad that silly .22

Out the door I go, and the intruder heads down the stairs and starts to make a get away in front of the porch. Forgetting my 2 hand training, I just use a single hand shooting position and fire. Bam! Bam! Bam!

The raccoon rolls over and one more Bang, and the raccoon is history. That **stard has been coming up on the porch and rooting through my heartnuts I'm sprouting and getting into the cat food dish. Kind of a big fellow too! We also have chickens and I don't want it getting in there, as he have lost chickens before to the likes of coons and possums.

True story! Surprised the heck out of my wife and my daughter's boyfriend, who thought it was "way cool". What surprised me was that I never used any of the "big" guns, and grabbed the .22 AND on top of that I just used my right hand. I'm comfortable with that pistol, shooting nearly a quarter of a million rounds though ones just like it over the years. Just was a natural reaction to shoot it single handed I guess. Also, I was thinking that I might have to shoot him on the porch, and I didn't want splinters from that .45 ACP making a mess. The .22 would leave a hole similar to a nail and I could always fill that in.

P.S. I live in the country on about 10 acres. Didn't even get the horse too excited, but she was kind of curious what all the commotion was about.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ya' had me going for a minute there. I'm glad it worked out and that the horses weren't spooked.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #3

hahaha
had me goin'...good shooting!!
coons they're trouble in my neck of the woods also.
I have a Sig .22 Mosquito for varmints like them.
They aren't worth the .45ACP ammo.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

great story! You had me going at first. Anyone else reminded of the scene in My Cousin Vinnie when Joe Pesci runs out of the cabin in his underwear firing into the woods? Classic!

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Good story.

I live on 24 acres in the middle of nowhere. We have all kinds of wildlife coming around. In the past year, I have had to dispense with a couple of coons that just were not acting right. One with the .22lr and one (because I had no mags loaded for the .22lr) with a .40 carbine. A vet friend of mine said to spray the areas where the coon was around alot with bleach. Rabies is running rampant. Blood is not to worry about, it's the saliva. She said to do this especially if you have outdoor pets.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Gonna make a coonskin hat?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Gonna make a coonskin hat?
I'll pass on the coon skin hat I read some years ago in a trapping journal about coons and their parasites. Some are pretty nasty, attacking your eyes and brains. When there was a good price for raccoons (skins) back in 1985, when I lived in Nebraska, the trapping kept some of the population at bay. Then the market fell out for the short hair furs, and favored long hair skins, like coyote, fox, etc. Without the incentive for good prices, they soon became too populated and the diseases became a lot more prevalent. Farmers lost a lot to them, from crop damage, fowl predation, and of course the loss of favorite pets, that scrapped and got injured with raccoon. We have TOO many out here in SW Michigan. You should see the number of dead ones on the road!

I have to admit, I'm not against running out in my underwear if it is dispatch a coyote or some other varmint! LOL

We've lost several chickens this past year to possums. Go out to check on the chickens and find a few half eaten, and then catch a possum in the chicken house. Guess we aren't the only ones that favor chicken! *grin*

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I shot a very big coon about 12 years ago on my porch under the same cicumstances - I used an old H&R .22 Revolver loaded with CCI QuickShok ammo. One shot is all it took to dispatch the coon and there was no overpenetration. QuickShok ammo is segmented and breaks into 3 pieces on contact with tissue. It's a great small game load and more effective the HP's.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I wish I could shoot the little effers. We have raccoons here in LA that eat the fish in my pond. But I can’t fire a gun in LA or I go to jail. And with so many neighbors so close it wouldn’t be safe anyway. So I am running down the street in the middle of night, in my boxers, chasing the little bastards with a baseball bat.

There is a very satisfying thump when I connect.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Hey Joe, how about a bow and arrow or a have a heart trap