A Self Defense - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A Self Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sounds like you need to hang out at a nicer establishment. Don't put yourself in an environment where there are dope dealing thugs and this situation wouldn't come up.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

At any rate...you've had time to reflect now.

What would you have done differently?

I have my own take on it, but I'm not going to judge you.

I choose not to go to clubs/bars anymore. I'm 38 and have seen plenty, not much of it was good.
Drinking with a bunch of strangers is not my idea of a good time. Anything can happen and usually does. Fights, jealousy, and just plain asshattery!

There to meet women? Good luck with that, I did, she's my x-wife after two affairs and abandonement to say the least.

There just to have a good time? Good luck with that. Everyone else there is there for their own reasons.

If I want to have a good time I'll invite people over that I KNOW.

Guns and drinking DO NOT mix,ever.

Just my .02

Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #23

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I hope you didnt get behind the wheel of that F-150 with a .08 BAC. My dad was hit and nearly killed by a drunk driver when i was only a year old so i get a little irritated when i hear of it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #24

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Hey pal, you invited chastisement in your 3rd post and when you get it, you get pissed You had a choice, you made it and got online and glorified it like some good triumphs over evil scenario. We're on your side but you should choose your words more carefully.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian
At any rate...you've had time to reflect now.

What would you have done differently?

I have my own take on it, but I'm not going to judge you.

I choose not to go to clubs/bars anymore. I'm 38 and have seen plenty, not much of it was good.
Drinking with a bunch of strangers is not my idea of a good time. Anything can happen and usually does. Fights, jealousy, and just plain asshattery!

There to meet women? Good luck with that, I did, she's my x-wife after two affairs and abandonement to say the least.

There just to have a good time? Good luck with that. Everyone else there is there for their own reasons.

If I want to have a good time I'll invite people over that I KNOW.

Guns and drinking DO NOT mix,ever.

Just my .02
I've definitely had time to think about it. Actually I was there as s "wing man" for a good buddy; funny thing is that it's one of the nicer places to go.

Nowadays I'm too busy with side projects to go to bars; when I do, I go to the bar in the Double Tree Hotel downtown. Mostly old people or traveling businessmen, but they make a dang good Mojito!

I suppose the main thing I would have done differently would have been to not have been drinking.

I didn't drive my truck that night; I called a cab and stayed at the Double Tree. Haha. The truck actually got towed because my friend mistook my keys for his the next morning....

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #26

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Well thats good you didnt drive that nite, not sure whats more dangerous drinkin and driving or drinkin and guns. Sure guns can hurt you real bad but if you get run down by a 5k lbs ford then dead is dead.

I used to go to bars alot too but dont very often now. I went with a buddy once and got into a little altercation with a guy. We decided to walk two blocks to another bar rather than move his car and pay for parking again. A black guy started walking with us trying to get us to give him money. We both gave him a buck or two but he wouldnt go away. Then my buddy gave him another buck but the begger dropped it, which pissed him off. He got in front of us and said he was just gonna stab us and take our **it. I wasnt sure if he had a weapon cause i never saw his left hand. I left my .45 in the car cause i cant take it in the bar/nightclub, so i rushed him and shoved him hard. I shoved him so hard he flipped over one of those concrete benches and landed on his face. I felt since i was unarmed that this was the only option. While he laid there and caught his breath we walked faster the last block to the nightclub and told a louisville metro cop that was in his car what had happened, he took off in that direction.

Thats why i dont go anywhere that doesnt allow cc, if they wont allow me to protect myself then they dont get my business.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Well thats good you didnt drive that nite, not sure whats more dangerous drinkin and driving or drinkin and guns. Sure guns can hurt you real bad but if you get run down by a 5k lbs ford then dead is dead.

I used to go to bars alot too but dont very often now. I went with a buddy once and got into a little altercation with a guy. We decided to walk two blocks to another bar rather than move his car and pay for parking again. A black guy started walking with us trying to get us to give him money. We both gave him a buck or two but he wouldnt go away. Then my buddy gave him another buck but the begger dropped it, which pissed him off. He got in front of us and said he was just gonna stab us and take our **it. I wasnt sure if he had a weapon cause i never saw his left hand. I left my .45 in the car cause i cant take it in the bar/nightclub, so i rushed him and shoved him hard. I shoved him so hard he flipped over one of those concrete benches and landed on his face. I felt since i was unarmed that this was the only option. While he laid there and caught his breath we walked faster the last block to the nightclub and told a louisville metro cop that was in his car what had happened, he took off in that direction.

Thats why i dont go anywhere that doesnt allow cc, if they wont allow me to protect myself then they dont get my business.
Yea I don't drink and drive. Never have, never will.

My Girlfriend in high school was killed by a drunk driver; she was 17.

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In response to the original post:

I don't go to clubs. Bat that's just not my cup of tea. I think you did the right thing by getting your gun at the ready. If, as you say you were 99.99% sure that this 'Snoop Dogg" wannabee was coming to blast on you with his gat, you should have used your truck for cover. You would have had a huge tactical advantage over even three assailants. So, who cares that you were at a bar, drinking, went and fetched your weapon, then decided to go on the offense. Your first mistake was leaving the cover of your vehicle. Let's say this guy is coming to shoot you. You're ready for him, behind cover, crouched. You see him come around the corner, pistol in hand. He does not expect you to be able to defend yourself, so he is not behind cover and isn't exactly sure where you are. You could even give him a chance to drop his weapon. Though I'm not sure you'd have to. So, in my opinion, you gave up a huge tactical advantage that could have allowed you to legally defend yourself. BAD IDEA.

"Blast if I have to" ~ EA Ski

Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I've had a few times when I was the "designated victim". One that was pretty hairy was when I was getting my divorce, and lived in an apartment about a mile and a half from where I worked, in a neighborhood where drugs and prostitution were a big problem, but I could afford the rent. One winter evening I walked about a mile to a Steak-N-Shake to get my dinner, and it was about 2200 when I left to walk home. As I was walking up the street, I noticed a tall, skinny man across the street from me "jogging", but he was being careful to stay even with me, not getting on down the street as a true jogger would. At that time I had a heavy winter coat on, and had a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug, a .44 Special with a 2 1/2 inch barrel, in my coat pocket (With proper carry permit). The BG suddenly speeded up, got about a block ahead of me, then crossed to my side of the street and ducked into the entrance of an abandoned store front. As I walked past the store, I kept close to the curb with my hand in my pocket and my .44 in my hand. Out "he" popped, and got in step with me, and said, "Say, how's it going?" Yep he was "that way". I told him not to bother me. So he ran on down the street, crossed back to the other side and disappeared. As I entered my apartment building, where there is a little entrance hall and a locked door, I got out my door key, and all at once in popped "Precious". He tried to position himself so I couldn't enter the hallway without him entering too. Then he said, "Say, do you have any hobbies?" So took my .44 out of my pocket, leveled it at his face, and said, "Sure, making .44 caliber holes in scum like you is my hobby". He turned and disappeared into the night so fast it even surprised me. I found out later from a neighbor that this turkey had been notorious in the neighborhood, and that he'd recently died of AIDS. I thank God regularly for my Bulldog Pug.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #30

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
I walked outside and made a bee lingerie my truck. While walking to it, I kept an eye behind me to make sure I wasn't about to be shot in the back.
Autocorrect strikes again?