A Self Defense - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A Self Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

I think what they're trying to say is...you removed yourself from a dangerous situation in which you may have been a possible victim...good on you!!! You then retrieved your weapon and placed yourself back into the situation in which case you were the agressor, plus you'd had a few beers...not so good. The story should have ended with you just plain leaving the area...doesn't make you a coward, it makes you ALIVE!!! The best way to win a gunfight is to not be there

Last edited by vincent; 11-10-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
I didn't rob anyone. Where did that come from? I definitely doubt that the fella had a Concealed Carry permit.

I suppose you could say that I was 99.99% sure that the guy would come after me; I knew that I either had to scare the hell out of him or shoot him.

I think, given the situation, I made a pretty good choice.

Chastise me if you want, but nobody else was there and combined with a BAP of at least .08, if I had killed a man, it would have been much harder to explain.
well you coulda just left or let them go. but you went back presented deadly force and relieved them of personal property. if you take something by force regardless if the article is stolen or not its robbery. in your case armed robbery.

from what i understand the way you told the story you waited in ambush and confronted them with a firearm. forced them to relinquish property and then left.

Quote:
I made it to my truck, got my pistol (Glock 30) and I began to walk back towards the club entrance when the guy and 2 of his buddies walked out.

I raised the pistol and aimed for his nose and calmly told him that he should take his weapon and toss it into the nearby dumpster and leave.
that part there. you went back to confront them. unless im reading it wrong.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

That story couldve been bad for us if it showed up on the news, wouldve fueled the fire for the anti gun crowd.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I would agree. I think if the cops came out to a situation like you described you would be standing in front of a judge with a couple of charges. I believe that NC has a Castle Doctrine, but once you leave a situation like that and then insert yourself back into it, it could have gone a whole lot different.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow! How hard is it to understand that, had I not met the guy coming out of the club with force, he was gonna open up on me? Need I delve farther into it? In all truthfulness, had I not done what I had, I would have been shot; at the very least, shot at.

I'm not saying what I did wasn't wrong, IM THE FIRST TO ADMIT IT WAS. It was F.U.B.A.R!!!

But I don't feel bad about it. I left as soon as I had ran them off, and to be honest, the guy probably came back 30 minutes later to get his piece. ........

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Wow! How hard is it to understand that, had I not met the guy coming out of the club with force, he was gonna open up on me? Need I delve farther into it? In all truthfulness, had I not done what I had, I would have been shot; at the very least, shot at.

I'm not saying what I did wasn't wrong, IM THE FIRST TO ADMIT IT WAS. It was F.U.B.A.R!!!

But I don't feel bad about it. I left as soon as I had ran them off, and to be honest, the guy probably came back 30 minutes later to get his piece. ........
why did you go back and not just leave?? going back and not getting in your vehicle and leaving is where you went wrong.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #17

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:

My friend, you did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what a responsible gun owner should have done. You somehow KNEW this guy was coming after you and instead of just leaving, you hang around and wait for an armed confrontation, in a crowd of people? How hard is it to understand that you just plain shouldn't have been there, nevermind brandishing your weapon after drinking??? What you did (if it's actually true) has got to be one of the most idiotic, irresponsible decisions you could have made and you're damn lucky nothing really bad happened.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

why did you go back and not just leave?? going back and not getting in your vehicle and leaving is where you went wrong.
Not that I have to explain myself, but I'll entertain this one.

Placement of the parking lot put my truck in the back corner with only one exit:

To exit the small parking lot, there is only one exit. That exit is a small alleyway about 10 feet wide. Getting the picture? The alleyway happens to go right by the back door to the club.

So, you see, had I just hopped in my truck, by the time I had the ignition key on and I was egressing, the guy would have been in the middle of that alleyway barking fire with his thunder maker

Like I said, had I been able to just leave the situation Scott free, I would've. Instead, I was just about 100% sure he was intent on AT LEAST firing at me. My F-150 wasnt armored, so I used necessary force against him in order to, HOPEFULLY, keep bullets from flying. AND IT WORKED.

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

My friend, you did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what a responsible gun owner should have done. You somehow KNEW this guy was coming after you and instead of just leaving, you hang around and wait for an armed confrontation, in a crowd of people? How hard is it to understand that you just plain shouldn't have been there, nevermind brandishing your weapon after drinking??? What you did (if it's actually true) has got to be one of the most idiotic, irresponsible decisions you could have made and you're damn lucky nothing really bad happened.
It's true. I would challenge you to somehow put yourself in my shoes at the time and see what you would do. Read my above post.

There was no crowd of people as everyone else was INSIDE the club.

I'm done trying to explain myself to a group of people that, it seems, would hesitate to do what they had to do to protect themselves. You guys are more interested in telling me what I did wrong and "how lucky" I am than you in simply understanding that I had a punk, dope slinging, Snoop Dogg wannabe intent on shooting me if given the chance!

I quit.

"Sua Sponte"

Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #20

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
It's true. I would challenge you to somehow put yourself in my shoes at the time and see what you would do. Read my above post.

There was no crowd of people as everyone else was INSIDE the club.

I'm done trying to explain myself to a group of people that, it seems, would hesitate to do what they had to do to protect themselves. You guys are more interested in telling me what I did wrong and "how lucky" I am than you in simply understanding that I had a punk, dope slinging, Snoop Dogg wannabe intent on shooting me if given the chance!

I quit.
I think with the exit blocked that changes the situation a little. I don't think anyone here is denying that you felt threatened and needed to protect yourself. I think the issue is making it too the truck and then returning to the individual. Maybe you could have got into and started driving away with your gun at the ready in case he picked his up and then you had the option to shoot or run him over. Another thing is the under the influence of alcohol for the simple fact that it clouds the judgement a tad. I think you took the opinions of the people a little too much to heart. We are simply trying to convey the number of things that could have happened and how the media would have spun it. My personal choice is if I'm going out to have a good time to drink, I don't take me gun, which is why I never go out to "clubs" or bars. I'm too damn paranoid.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.