Self-defence or murder?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Self-defence or murder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default Self-defence or murder?

my opinion after watching the vid. he was spot on until he walked up to the kid and fired 5 more into him. at that point its a clear cut case of murder. the jury rendered the proper verdict. this is a key learning lesson on when self defense crosses the line into vigilante style murder.

for the full news report:

Self-defence or murder? Outrage as pharmacist who shot 16-year-old trying to rob his shop gets life sentence | Mail Online

Quote:
Self-defence or murder? Outrage as pharmacist who shot 16-year-old trying to rob his shop gets life sentence
raw video:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

It became murder when the kid was (and had been for a length of time) lying defenseless on the floor and the guy walked back up to him and killed him. If I was on the jury I may would have tried for a lesser charge like manslaughter where he still would have been punished, but not to the same extent.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think the defense contention was that the guy on the floor was still struggling and looking threatening. I just don't think i buy that, BUT i was not there to witness it. It appeared that the one with the gun had already taken off, lowering my impression of the threat level to the "beat him with a stick" level. Heck, dude was in a pharmacy with gunshot wounds; if he was threatening, dump a gallon of alcohol on him & watch him twitch until the ambulance arrives (maybe while holding a lighter).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

the whole coming back thing to shoot again is what he did wrong. even if the goblin had a gun in hand the pharmacist did not appear to have a pressing need to return to the part of the store the goblin was bleeding out in.

the whole calmly walk over and execute the goblin thing is what is wrong regardless of how much the little sht deserved it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Because it is unclear in the video, is this the order?

1) Robberitos enter store
2) Owner shoots back
3) One is shot, falls to ground
4) Two runs out
5) Owner chases Two, who gets away
6) Owner returns, walking past One
7) Owner reloads or gets second gun
8) Owner walks over to One and shoots him, killing him?

Wow! I don't know about 1st degree murder with a life sentence. If nothing else, adrenaline brought on by brazen gun-wielding robberitos would seem to be some sort of defense.

But, he seemed to do the absolute WRONG thing and deserves some punishment. I just don't think a life term.

We don't know what the jury was given as options. My knowledge of criminal law is just TV, but I don't think juries can just choose what crime to find the defendant guilty of. If the prosecution gave them murder or walk free, they perhaps just chose guilty. I think they're right.

Just don't know about a life sentence.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Yup, he stepped on it big time. The threat was down, hell he could have just walked over there and head stomped the kid once for a final measure, and he probably would be a free man today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The bad guy committing an armed robbery had nothing coming. I wouldn't of done what the pharmacist did but the only one who can tell us if he felt threatened is the pharmacist. I wouldn't of found him guilty of murder. Maybe some lesser offense. Murder is taking it too far. But the thing is that as a society we are STILL failing to punish the criminals we arrest and convict and we give too many criminals shoulders to cry upon. We need to make them held accountable for their crimes no matter what. Obviously, this bad guy had a real bad day so he paid his penalty. I don't think that we will ever see a really great punishment system any more in our country.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Once that BG was on the ground, the owner should have called the police and held him at gunpoint until they arrived. I know adrenaline had to be pumping, along with anger, but he had to know that he would be in some trouble for executing the robber.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I thought this one over and came to a simple conclusion: If he wanted to be sure that the robber was dead, he should have made the first shots count more. Maybe he should've used a shotgun or gotten some more range time, but a NY reload followed by a coupdegras just ain't gonna cut it.

Lesson learned here; i will be scheduling more range time & re-evaluating my SD ammo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

My feelings are a bit mixed on this

As for the criminal I have no regards for him, 16yo or not. He's a thief and I detest thieves. He came into someones place of business and pointed a firearm at the Pharmacist. Whether or not he actually did harm is moot to me. If he wasn't stopped now who knows what would have happened the next time he robbed someone.

As for the pharmacist I can't agree with murder charges. Maybe he went overboard but they way I feel about thieves I can't say I agree with that either. He had a gun pointed at him while someone was trying to rob the business he owns. This is his livelihood, how he supports himself and possibly his family. From the looks of the video this is an old timer who possibly spent decades tending his business.

I've said it before, we are too damned lenient on criminals here. And again the fact that this kid was 16yo shouldn't mean squat! He put on the big boy pants the second he tried to rob someone at gunpoint. In my humble opinion the criminal got what he deserved and the pharmacist is being unfairly judged.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD