Second Handgun for the first floor of my house...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Second Handgun for the first floor of my house...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Second Handgun for the first floor of my house...

I'm considering buying a second handgun for the first floor of my house. I have my Glock 23 upstairs, but I'd like to have one of the first floor as well. This would be for not only me, but my wife.

She practiced with my G23 (using the Wolf 9mm barrel) and really like it. She did pretty well with it too.

My debate is whether or not to get another G23 for downstairs or maybe a Glock 19 since she did well with the 9mm. I bought the Wolf barrel to save money on practicing, but I found some nicely priced 40 S&W factory reloads that I've used without any issues.

I'm aware of the potential dangers of lead fouling in Glock barrels, so I avoid those rounds. I prefer to consolidate ammo calibers (all 40 S&W) when possible.

So, taking all the above into consideration, what do you recomend?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I recommend that you let her shoot the 23 with the .40 barrel in it. Then go with whichever she shoots better. Consolidating calibers won't help if she's hesitant to reach for it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
I recommend that you let her shoot the 23 with the .40 barrel in it. Then go with whichever she shoots better. Consolidating calibers won't help if she's hesitant to reach for it.
Ok, that's a good point. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

The idea of the same type platform is good. Develop memory on one type of firearm. But have you looked at others that handle like the Glock? Some use the same controls and may fit her better. (Hint: Suggest which one you like better, but let her decide. Just like buying her shoes)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The idea of the same type platform is good. Develop memory on one type of firearm. But have you looked at others that handle like the Glock? Some use the same controls and may fit her better. (Hint: Suggest which one you like better, but let her decide. Just like buying her shoes)
That was my thought too. Not that I'm against revolvers, but she's somewhat familiar with the G23 I have. I tought her how to rack the slide and clear a stove pipe on my XD 45. So she's familiar with the semi-auto platform a la Glock and XD's. I thought about getting an XDM 9, as I really like XD's, but I like the idea of sharing magazines.

It's still up for debate. Thanks for you input guys.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
My wife stole the G19 from me for her own use. Fine by me. I got a new gun out of it, and a XD9 to replace the 9mm she took. I got another Glock AND a 9mm XD9. Win win win for her and me.......
Yeah, thought about an XDM 9 too. I dig those XD's.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have had several students with small hands that were pleased with a Smith & Wesson M&P using the small size backstrap. The inserts for that gun do a really nice job of changing the "feel" of the gun. You can get the Smith in 9, 40, .357 Sig, and 45, so you can get the caliber you like best. Safety levers, colors, barrel lengths, calibers, grip sizes.......... the M&P is the Burger King of handguns, you really can have it your way!

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Placement of a gun that requires you to "go get it" in case of an assault on your home will not be of much help, regardless of platform, or caliber. If you're concerned enough to have an upstairs gun, and a downstairs gun, you should each be carrying one of 'em.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you're concerned enough to have an upstairs gun, and a downstairs gun, you should each be carrying one of 'em.
Hmphf.
He always gets here before me and posts what I want to say.
Then all I'm left with is an anemic copy-cat sounding "ditto".
*sigh* Oh well... Parroting somebody who's right isn't the worst thing that could happen, I guess.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgirl View Post
Hmphf.
He always gets here before me and posts what I want to say.
Then all I'm left with is an anemic copy-cat sounding "ditto".
*sigh* Oh well... Parroting somebody who's right isn't the worst thing that could happen, I guess.
Just consider that great minds think alike.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)