The search to find the perfect carry gun. Current object of my affliction: Sig P238
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The search to find the perfect carry gun. Current object of my affliction: Sig P238

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default The search to find the perfect carry gun. Current object of my affliction: Sig P238

I have been on a quest for three years (and a bout 15 different attempts and failures) to find a carry anywhere gun that i really like. The Sig p238 has caught my attention, and i have decided to buy one for myself and one for my wife.

I think it will be a great gun for my wife as she only carries a .22 now due to recoil sensitivity. I love the size for myself, but am trying to feel satisfied with the caliber (plus it only being 6+1 but for small size what else are you gonna do).

I have noticed that in the past my "carry anywhere gun becomes my normally carry gun as it is the easiest to take when i am rushed for time (which most of the time). So i was wondering what you think if you have experience with one, and what is out there that i may look at that is about the same size, but more caliber.

I have spent so much money on guns i end up hating and am trying to break that cycle. I would like my next cc gun to satisfy me more than a couple of weeks. HELP ME END THIS AFFLICTION!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I carry my 238 more than the rest of my other pistols combined. It's small, light, and very easy to shoot. Most .380s are blowback and quite snappy to shoot where the little Sig is locked breech and that makes a big difference. Like you, convenience is mandatory for me as I wanted something I could clip on or drop in a pocket on the way out the door. Also, in the GA summer heat, small & light is really important. There are mixed reviews, most reported problems seem to be mag related, but mine has been great...

Old 11-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There are mixed reviews, most reported problems seem to be mag related, but mine has been great...
I read about that (the info i saw was no newer than 2009), i was hoping they had that worked out now. Was it about having 6 in the mag, and the gun would not work correctly so they were having to only put in 5 to make it work? Is it still happening?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I got a chance to fire one at the range and loved it! But I have also read mixed reviews. When they work, people are extremely happy, but there have been a number that haven't worked.

I'm pretty sure there is a recall, so if you shop for one, check the serial number against the recall list.

There's a guy whose blog I follow who bought one recently. He had a number of problems and sent it back to Sig once or twice. He hasn't posted a new range report since it came back from Sig, so I don't know if they were able to fix everything.

Sig has also announced a pocket-sized 9mm. It doesn't appear to be available yet, but I believe I read somewhere that it'll be available in early 2011.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Sig has also announced a pocket-sized 9mm. It doesn't appear to be available yet, but I believe I read somewhere that it'll be available in early 2011.
Sounds like ti may be worth waiting for. So was the problem your hearing about related to the magazine like i said below?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What about the S&W Bodygaurd? Anyone know anything about it?

Last edited by theferg2000; 11-13-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by either View Post
can't tell you HOW lw the new 9mm will be? Sheesh. also, if p238 is just 380, I'd prefer to save $400 and get a star pony.
I cant remember how big the pony's are - been a while since i have looked at them, but that is a good thought. I have carried a pocket 9, but put it up once i found out about the karh lawsuit, and trying to sell it now. But i loved the way it felt and shot.

For me any gun that you could put in your pocket and wear with shorts while chasing kids around would qualify, as that is probably my worst case carry situation. But i would love to get above a .380, but size is the limiting factor, as if it is too big, there will be times where i would not take it. I would rather have a.22 than nothing, so i am happy with the flood of .380's coming out as of late.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well a big change in plans and another act of impulse reared it's head. Ended up getting the wife a S&W.380 Bodyguard, and myself a Taurus PT 740. Have not fire either yet. But man that PT740 is light and slim. I can cc it about anywhere i am pretty sure. Will post after i get to the range. Dont know much about what the forum thinks about Taurus's but i have loved everyone i have ever had. They shoot very well and accurate for me. I am thrilled that i have a gun like this that is a 40.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

my carry piece is a colt new agent. it has very slim grips its got a shortened magazine with re-designed follow that still allows a full 7 rounds in the mag of 45acp +1 in the chamber. its got a 6 and 3/4 inch over all length 3 inch barrel comes in 45acp and 9mm the 9mm carries 8+1. if you dont like the trench sights there is the defender model that has sights. i can actually carry it pretty good in my jeans pocket.

my opinion, cant go wrong with a 1911 and 45acp.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I got to shoot the 238 last week and so far it is the best subcompact I have tried. Very controllable. I would have the trigger worked over as it is lawyered up but very usable. It will have to be carried cocked and locked. I have a P3AT and the 238 beats it by far. At over twice the price it better beat it. I had a good 12 shot group high and right but still in the 5" dot at 7 yards. Any new gun will have some teething problems. It depends on how the mfg handles those problems. My 2 mags were flawless.
I have handled the Bodyguard but no been able to fire one. The ergonomics were good and the laser is nice. The trigger is typical of most of the subs. The grip is a lot more comfortable than my P3AT.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.