Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > School areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default School areas

So I have my ccw and can't find the written law about this. I remember there being something like 1000 feet from a k-12 School you have to have your gun unloaded. Can someone enlighten me on this please. Live in AZ if it matters. Thank you and hello everyone, I should be an active member on here now!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Good afternoon,
At least here in Georgia I can legally carry when I drop off or pick up my kids from school, in my car, I'm not entirely sure about going in to school. But concealed means concealed.
Each state is so wildly different you should pull the specific laws for your area.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

I know going into the school is a huge fine and imprisonment but I can't find the law about having it in your car driving near...and thanks!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Check your state law...

Federal law states... unless state law

Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2484 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Check your state laws and understand the difference between carrying and transporting.

Go to www.gunlawguide.com and buy the book, it's worth every penny!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Mercator Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1417 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Check your state laws and understand the difference between carrying and transporting.

Go to www.gunlawguide.com and buy the book, it's worth every penny!
In a 2nd Amendment abiding state the law is often silent on narrow issues. If so, the local school district policies will likely cover CCW. Make a personal risk assessment and use your judgement. Getting busted for guns on a school property is a major career setback and really bad community relations, no matter what the constitution doesn't say.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5978 Times on 3272 Posts
Likes Given: 11432

This is from Legal Heat and applies to AZ state law.

Prohibited areas:
Public and private schools A.R.S. § 13-3102.A.12 (see A.R.S. § 13-3102.C & J or "Special Notes" below for exceptions)
School exception:
The above prohibition for firearms in school zones does not apply to a: "Firearm that is not loaded and that is carried within a means of transportation under the control of an adult provided that if the adult leaves the means of transportation the firearm shall not be visible from the outside of the means of transportation and the means of transportation shall be locked." Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-3102.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Questions/#27
I have a CCW permit. Can I carry my handgun on school grounds while picking up my child?
Conditionally. If you remain in your vehicle and the handgun is unloaded before entering school grounds, yes. If you have to exit your vehicle while picking up your child, the handgun must be unloaded (as above) and secured (locked) within the vehicle out of plain view. Use caution if you must exit the vehicle with a handgun (or any weapon) to secure it in the trunk of your vehicle. Others may see you and not understand your intention.
Additionally, designated employees of a school may order a person off of school property if that person is believed to be interfering with school operations. School boards may also enact specific and more restrictive rules governing firearms and deadly weapons on school grounds. Determine what the rules of a school are before attempting to enter school grounds with a firearm. (ARS 13-3102.A.12, 13-3102.I and ARS 13-2911)

Contact Info
Arizona Department of Public Safety
P.O. Box 6638
Phoenix, AZ 85005
(602) 223-2000

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 10-27-2013 at 02:03 AM.