Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Scenario: Mugging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scenario: Mugging

Imagine that you are in an industrial area at 2 am with no one around and your walking back to your car after finishing some business in the city. A mugger jumps out when you are getting to your car, puts a gun to your side that feels real and then asks you for money and keys. You have a gun under your jacket in a holster. What would you do in this situation?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #2

Jumps out of where? My car? I have a remote on my key and I engage it about 15 feet from the car at which time the interior lights come on. He will not be able to get to me before I can present my weapon. At two in the morning, I never approach my car from just one angle, but rather meander so that I can see at least three sides before I unlock it. Also, at 2AM, I am probably going to have my hand on my weapon from the time I leave my building anyway.

I think for most people who are aware of their surroundings, especially in isolated places, this is not a realistic scenario. OTOH, for rich, white, liberals it may be a realistic scenario, which if I was one, I would fall to my knees and shout, "Oh, please don't kill me! Take my wallet! I'll even write you a check! Just don't hurt me!"

Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #3

Default hmmmm

well for one, i am always aware of my environment so i would agree, jumps out from where? have we parked in a forest beside a hedgerow? i always keep an eye out and listen for noises and look over my shoulder, not to, when you are carrying is quite possibly the most foolish thing anyone can do, you have to be aware, and being oblivious is just as reckless and handing the loaded weapon to a child. i often approach from the opposite direction so i can get a clear line of sight of my vehicle and make sure that there is no one beneath it or around it. in fact at 2 AM, i switch to open carry and would walk with my hand on my weapon if i was uncomfortable. if somehow someone got the drop on me from behind, i would rather die then submit, and i would feel the position of the weapon and begin to talk to raise the attackers confidence while stepping back to close range with him so that he is a bit off balance, and then i would utilize the step and turn, turning to the outside as i stepped backwards, by swinging to the outside it allows you to redirect the position of the weapon so that if it fires, it does stray, at that point the main objective would be to control his weapon, and seizing the wrist immediately would suffice, while my left hand draws my TDI Ka-Bar from my left hip. at that point and at that close of a distance, i wouldnt even hesitate or worry about the spray of blood, and plant the device deliberately into the attackers neck and twist, if his hold of the weapon does not loosen, the second stab would be to the armpit of the gun hand, then to the back of the bicep then to the abdomen. but i would be willing to bet that the open wound to the neck would be deterent enough to force the attacker to drop the weapon or at least release his hold of it. as soon as i could i would switch to my own weapon which i know is loaded. i would have to place a call for aid, though every bone in my body would urge me to simply leave and go home and allow for true justice to take its course.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #4

Well, the first thing is not to make any sudden moves. It's hard to do anything if the gun is in you side. And follow their instructions and pray you don't get killed. Second, I am trained to disarm a person where ever the gun is. But timing is important…. The risk of being shot or even kill is extremely high if you try. This is the last resort at by all means!

You have to practice and drill scenarios to help with situations like this. This will up your chances if something does occur. BUT does not mean the outcome will be like you drill. This is only to help you survive any given scenario and help you make right decisions. But we all act differently under stress.

It’s like watching a football game and yelling at the TV. Run the other way!, Stop! Go right! And saying, “ If that was me, I would’ve done it this way, or they should’ve done it this way.”

Each person is going to react differently…. Each situation is going to be different. So well need to train, and drill over and over. This is going to help you if something does occur. But remember, anything you do, or do wrong, can cost you something you can’t replace.

Kentuckiana Firearms Training
Chris
www.ccdw.info
c.schlager@insightbb.com

Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
"Oh, please don't kill me! Take my wallet! I'll even write you a check! Just don't hurt me!"
Literally falling over laughing.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #6

To be honest and not trying to sound like a badass, but besides my p226 equinox i carry, i usually have my benchmade switch inside my shirt buttons. With the training i have had i wouldve drawn my knife carefully not to end up getting shot and as i hand him my wallet and stuff, drop it and when his eyes leave my hand the blade will e deployed in all the ways i know best. i was actually in a similar situation like this, except the perp was someone i thought i trusted......

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's the training video for your scenario!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Here's the training video for your scenario!!

YouTube - William Shatner Demonstrates Proper Gun Control
ROTFL, that's great and Denny Crane, appropriate response in that situation and the defensive moves can be modified to fit the OP's presented scenario.

Spartan and HK911 are very close. Falphil is correct it is very important that one needs to be aware of his / her surroundings, at all times, and have at least one quickly recognized escape route.

Once control of the attacker's weapon is achieved, and he is off balance, than the knife may follow next with any soft tissue areas slashed and jabbed. that includes the face, neck, shoulder, wrist and groin. Punches can be replaced by forearm and hands to areas mentioned, as well. Good job.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Depends....

I guess it would depend on the whole feel of the situation. The vibe I got from the perp would probably lead my actions. If I read that he has very little or no intention on firing whether I cough up the dough or not, I'd probably try to disarm him, distance myself and then drop a bead. If he left, I'd probably let him go and thank the heavens that I was alive to watch him run off. If he got up and came at me a second time or reached for his weapon, I'd fire.

If I felt he was serious in his willingness to kill or harm me, I'd hand over the goods and wait for him to turn away, then I'd probably drop him and call the police.

Again, this is all speculation as what you plan and what you actually do can be very different when the time arrives.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Oh, please don't kill me! Take my wallet! I'll even write you a check! Just don't hurt me!"

Actually this is EXACTLY what we are required to do in my country lol. In the case of material possessions, the only sensible course of action is to give them up.

But it's if the guy says "get in my car/van" etc that you must try and disarm him, lest you be taken to the secondary crime scene...which almost never turns out well.

With nothing but your hands, though