Scenario: Drive by scare

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Scenario: Drive by scare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scenario: Drive by scare

I am curious as to what some of the gun owners would of done in the following situation.

Its 4:30 AM PST a friend of mine is on his way to work.(truck driver) He stops at a red light at a 4 way intersection. No other cars around except one coming from the direction to his right the car was making a left turn which passes directly in front of my friends small toyota truck. As the car passes in front of him there is a punk sitting on the door pointing a pistol at my friend laughing his butt off. My friend ducked and after a few scary seconds looked back up and the car was driving off in the distance.

What would you of done if you had your gun with you? Just curious.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Even with a gun your friend did the best thing, take cover. There would not have been enough time to draw and fire as the car passed in front of him. The BEST thing you can do to win a gun fight is to first seek cover (FBI Stats from officer involved shootings). Duck behind cover and then draw. Engage if needed. Sitting there trading shots with some moron is never a good idea. Shooting at or from a moving vehicle is never a good idea. Had the car stopped, drive away to find a better position. Avoid the gun fight until you have a superior position. If you obviously have the advantage, the bad guy will likely not engage.

The absolute best gunfight is the one that no one fires a shot. You cannot get shot that way.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 - and call the cops to give them a description...even drawing and pointing a BB gun carries the same sentence.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #4

First, if the other guy had a gun in his hand I would have instantly seen it. (Trust me, I would have!) Second, I would have, also, immediately floored the accelerator and made a sharp left-hand turn.

If the other vehicle turned around and began to pursue, I would hit the brakes, turn my own vehicle sideways across the traffic lane with the nose into the curb, jump out, and prepare to engage the approaching vehicle.

Contrary to what you see on television all the time, the very last thing you want to do in a situation like this is try to run away from the pursuing vehicle. If the attacking vehicle manages to close the distance and falls in immediately behind you - You're dead!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I had an interesting thing happen in front of me in about 1990. I was driving through a less than perfect neighborhood in an unmarked car. As the car in front of me passed by a bus stop, the back right passenger pointed a handgun at some poor slob waiting for a bus. The guy dove for the bushes and the car drove on. I followed and called for backup (car occupied 4 X). As I work for the County and I was pretty deep in the city, back up was slow or non-existant. The car pulled into an apartment complex so I had to act before they bailed. I took them down at gun point and found they were Nigerian College students armed with a BB-gun acting like American gangstas.

Faced with a real gun and a real Po Po, they were scared out of their collective Nigerian wits. A quick but stern lecture and they were apologetic and happy to not go to jail (and get their student visas revoked). Not a gangsta bone among them, just young and dumb. It could have gotten ugly but they got lucky. I don't think they played gangsta driveby after that.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #6

Default well.

This is a story that gives a perfect example why each and everyone of us at this forum who are responsible gun owners carry a firearm. Also, it shows what this new generation of kids are and how dangerous they can be. At that time of night i probably would have made sure the street was clear than floored the gas paddle, Get to a safe distance, drawn my gun, and see where those idiots are with the gun. But if there was time to call the cops and give my location and description of them i would do that first. Anyways, Robocop10mm advice is well put, and i agree totally with how he would handle the situation.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt22 View Post
I am curious as to what some of the gun owners would of done in the following situation.

Its 4:30 AM PST a friend of mine is on his way to work.(truck driver) He stops at a red light at a 4 way intersection. No other cars around except one coming from the direction to his right the car was making a left turn which passes directly in front of my friends small toyota truck. As the car passes in front of him there is a punk sitting on the door pointing a pistol at my friend laughing his butt off. My friend ducked and after a few scary seconds looked back up and the car was driving off in the distance.

What would you of done if you had your gun with you? Just curious.
A very similar thing happend to me as well, however I was on foot. I was walking and I heard someone honk, as I turned around I saw that the driver of the car was waving a gun at me though the window. I did not have a gun but I wonder what ya'll think a reasonable reaction would be if I did.

Last edited by Squirrel; 08-08-2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention somthing.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
A very similar thing happend to me as well, however I was on foot. I was walking and I heard someone honk, as I turned around I saw that the driver of the car was waving a gun at me though the window. I did not have a gun but I wonder what ya'll think a reasonable reaction would be if I did.
The same thing you did without the gun! Unless the creep shoots at you, you have no leagl recourse as far as shooting back. And since he's in a car and would more than likely drive off, you'd have a rough time convincing a cop you were defending yourself..
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

A car can become a very deadly weapon 4000# guided missle.

With the op story I would hit the deck and grab my own pistol. Normaly rides between my seat and center console. If some one comes knocking react if not sit up scan area and drive off call police and give discription with direction going on what street.

I am not chasing them I am not going to try and essclate the situation at all.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #10

UH G unless I am reading the OP wrong the guy was crossing in front of the OP's friend from right to left making their turn trying to make your own left would put you on a collision course with the car . Not a bad idea if you don't mind trashing yours .

As for me I often come home from work at that time of morning and even with a gun I doubt I would be firing .

First I like holsters with a forward cant to them and being right handed getting to the gun with a seatbelt on isn't real easy or quick .

I would probably hit the brights and hope the sudden bright light in the drivers eyes would make him swerve to his right farther away from me and with a little luck make the clown with the gun loose his balance sitting on the door and fall out and or perhaps make the driver crash into any of all the various things that are often sitting on the corners of 4 way stops like crossing signals control poles , mail boxes , buss stops etc .

Stomp the gas get away and call the cops and make a report of a man with a gun .