You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Scary walk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2514 Times on 1348 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Default Scary walk.

The wife and I were taking a walk tonight. We were on a dirt path between a fence and a large ditch. As we walked a dog jumped over the fence. It stood in our path growling and barking at us. There were two or three other dogs on the other side of the fence where it came from. They were growling and barking too. The dog that came over the fence looked like a boxer mix. It was not big like a German Shepard. But it was not a weiner dog either. It was definitely big enough to be a serious threat. My hand went into my front pocket to the grip of my CM9. The dog did not advance. But it stood it's ground. I glanced behind us. But it was a long way back. I was concerned that it would chase us if we backed up. I didn't want to shoot it. But I was ready if it was necessary. My wife picked up a rock and threw it at the dog. The dog went back over the fence. I felt stupid. But at the same time I was glad it turned out the way it did. My wife has walked that route many times without me. The dog has never come over the fence before. I worry about what might have happened if she had been by herself. Perhaps the dog would have been a little more brave. I am a big guy. This is the second time I have prepared to shoot a dog but didn't have too. I am going to insist that Tina carry her gun when she walks without me.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4329 Times on 2785 Posts

Why would you feel stupid? In my opinion, the only thing that would qualify as stupid would not be calling the dog warden, or at the very least find the dogs' owners and tell them about the situation. I'm glad it turned out well for you.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 02:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1644 Posts
Likes Given: 1841

You never know about these confrontations. My wife left her PPK at home one evening. She was walking down a street in Arizona. A Pit Ball came out of the shadows leaped knocking her down. The dog stood ready to finish the kill not allowing her to move. A citizens came to her rescue with a large board. The wife was badly wounded. The Deputy found the owner and verified it had a current rabies shot. Yes, your handgun is not effective on the table at your home.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7455 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 594

the responsible thing is are always always always carry a firearm. bad things and bad people are not going to schedule an appointment... despite what some people think when they go unarmed in a "safe" area.

next responsible thing is to speak with the dog owner. if he/she starts getting angry just back off and then file a police report of a dangerous animal.

next person that the dog goes for may be a child.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 3971 Times on 2225 Posts
Likes Given: 2622

Also germane to the issue is the seemingly limitless supply

of dog owners who just think it's OKAY for their animal

to simply roam the planet, unsupervised. Needless to say, when

something bad happens to said dog, they want to blame everybody

but themselves, for letting the dog wander free.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 03:35 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11082 Times on 5869 Posts
Likes Given: 23778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
My wife has walked that route many times without me. The dog has never come over the fence before. I worry about what might have happened if she had been by herself.
Maybe the dog doesn't like you.
He seems to tolerate your wife walking by. You never know.... perhaps the dog was hurt by someone who looks a bit like you. I have known people who begrudged bearded men or white men because of past events.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3852 Times on 2115 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Those high voltage zappers work wonders. Animals dont like the sound or the arc when you discharge it in the air. Works on dogs and even small black bears I found out this summer.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 04:02 AM   #8

Liked 2514 Times on 1348 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Thanks for all the replies. I was not going to take my hand off my gun. I felt stupid because I was ready to shoot a dog when a rock would do. But I was not about to bend down to pick one up. I am truly amazed at how irresponsible some dog owners are. The fence was only about 4 feet high. And there was truly nowhere to run. The ditch was probably 15 feet wide and just as deep. If we had tried to run the dog could have easily outrun us.

I will be calling the sheriff Dept tomorrow to let them know what happened. It is dark outside now and I am not sure of the address.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1317 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I like dogs but I also like not having rabies so if it came down to it.....
dango Likes This 
Old 10-27-2016, 04:18 AM   #10

Liked 696 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I'm convinced that such dog owners are not simply "irresponsible." They actually enjoy creating fear in others by letting their dogs roam free to confront people. They are the idiots who yell the loudest when their dog is shot - it's like, "How dare you prevent my dog from attacking you!"

I stopped going for walks in my neighborhood after a few close ones & threats from dog owners. One particularly moronic guy was calmly gardening with his huge Shepard hanging around in his unfenced yard. When I walked by, the dog approached me barking & growling. I yelled at the owner & he just looked at me, chuckled & continued gardening. But when I said, "Mister, you're about to lose the dog," he called him back. Then he started to approach me, muttering "Kick your A--." I said "Don't come after me; I'm armed."
People Like This