Scary guy in CCW class - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Scary guy in CCW class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
The biggest thing here is that the State obviously will issue to and untrained citizen. That is irresponsible. It endangers her/him and the general public.

There should be a prerequisite class for untrained gun owners that affords time for them to get familiar with firearms and comfortable with their use. I think a two week class with plenty of range time is necessary!!
And maybe the state should require a competency course for each specific gun you wish to purchase to make sure you are only going to safely use it for the right reasons. We could keep a list of all the safe and qualified gun owners, you know the ones the state approves of.

My state is a shall issue state, anyone not legally prohibited(felons, mentally incompetant,etc) shall be issued a License to Carry Firearms. No classes required, no range qualification, no written essays or multiple choice questions. Safe gun handling and marksmanship training is the responsibility of the individual. Not provided by the nanny state.

The right is the citizens, so is the responsibility.
We don't seem to have too many problems.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
And maybe the state should require a competency course for each specific gun you wish to purchase to make sure you are only going to safely use it for the right reasons. We could keep a list of all the safe and qualified gun owners, you know the ones the state approves of.

My state is a shall issue state, anyone not legally prohibited(felons, mentally incompetent,etc) shall be issued a License to Carry Firearms. No classes required, no range qualification, no written essays or multiple choice questions. Safe gun handling and marksmanship training is the responsibility of the individual. Not provided by the nanny state.

The right is the citizens, so is the responsibility.
We don't seem to have too many problems.
You know, I agree with this 100%. There are those in our society who did not grow up with guns, weren't in the military, are unfamiliar with guns and are therefore dangerous when around or when handling guns.

You've seen them at the gun shop, waving the barrel around the room while customers try to get out of the shadow of the muzzle. Most States require a basic firearms safety course or prior military or law enforcement training before even issuing a hunting license, why not for CCW?

I guess if you want to add to the CCW requirement that the applicant demonstrate their ability to safely handle a firearm as well as pull a trigger, that would work for me too. No nanny State BS, just an common sense injection for those in the population who would seek a CCW without weapons familiarization training.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
I gotta tell you. The thought of this guy carrying a gun scares me. One of those nervous types...talks fast, moves jumpy, skittish, like way too much coffee and cigarettes. I understand being nervous but his hands shook like Michael J Fox's.
Did he look like this......

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #14

I do not think they handled it poorly...as a matter of fact there were 2 instructors for 3 students. A pretty good ratio (imho). The only people in the proximity of the weapons were the shooters and officers...except for when he walked up and picked up the .22 while they were changing targets.

Out of 12 people he was the only one that needed (and received) special attention.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #15

Just as a side note...

Took the CCW class this past weekend. Applied for permit Monday. Have license on Thursday. It just doesnt get any faster/easier than that.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #16

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
grog, 6/14/10

Actually I kind of admire the guy. He obviously is terrified of guns and shooting but made the effort to make it through the course. He is the type of shooter who will need close supervision and much training but it is possible to make him comfortable with firearms. If we can turn one gun-hater at a time into a shooter, even if they start off badly, then it is OK with me.

Best wishes- oldandslow
If a person is that fearful of guns and wants to carry a gun, he must live in a scarey neighborhood. That goes to show people are afraid of the future.. My wife has a CWL but she will not fire the gun. I ask her every few months to practice with me but she never does. If you carry a gun and don't know how to use it, it might be better to leave the gun at home.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #17

I actually had a similar person to the subject of this story in the CCW class I took in North Carolina (before I moved back up here to VA). I say "similar" because the guy was very polite and personable during the classroom portion and he paid very close attention, but once the shooting started I was a little concerned.

We had a wide variety of pistols and revolvers at the class. I shot with a Glock 22, my two buddies with XD's, one guy had a Bersa .380. The person I was concerned about was shooting a single action .22 revolver. Not a bad idea, if for no other reason than becuase you'll save money on ammo. Problem was, this guy really didn't shoot it that well. Single action .22 revolver, and after following the instructors...um...instructions and shooting at 3, 7 and 10 yards, his target looked like it'd been worked over with a shotgun. I mean with a .22 revolver this guy shot like lightning: he never hit the same place twice. If it weren't for gravity he couldn't have hit the GROUND. I can't help but think that with a larger caliber firearm, should he ever have to use it in self defense, the safest person in the world will be the guy who was actually trying to take his wallet.

I'm all for people exercising their Second Amendment rights, but at times you do have to wonder if the guy next to you at the range knows which end of the gun goes "Bang."

Hope everyone has a great day!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike View Post
That's fast. Where do you live?
Lake county Ohio. Suburb of Cleveland. The instructors said we could go to Cuyahoga county (Cleveland) if we did not mind waiting until X-mas for our permits.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #19

I've had this kind of thing happen to me at the range a while back. A buddy and me went to blow off a few rounds at an indoor range in town. In the lane next to us is some white trash thug trying to teach his 97 year old grandma to shoot a 357!

She couldn't pull the hammer back to well and shots were hitting the floor, the wall, the ceiling, just anywhere but the target! We couldn't get out of there fast enough, told the range opperator what was happening on the way out and just left.

I don't blame the old woman, her idiot grandson should have known better or at least the range opperators.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
ET1

Georgia evidently is just like Pa. If you can pay the fee and pass the background check you have a CCW permit. The only qualifiers are that you have to be 21 and have no felonies or drug possessions on your record. Barney Fife would have no problem getting his permit here. I've got to believe that there are permit holders in Ga. that CC but have never fired a handgun. Those guys and girls will get themselves killed with their own guns. Survival of the fittest and smartest I guess.