Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Scary guy in CCW class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scary guy in CCW class

My wife and I took our CCW class this past weekend. It was lots of fun and very informative. We are new to guns and have only been shooting 4-5 times total. We shot as well as anyone there and better than many. There was one guy that stated right up front that he had never held a gun before and the class was/is designed to teach at that level...no problems...right?

I gotta tell you. The thought of this guy carrying a gun scares me. One of those nervous types...talks fast, moves jumpy, skittish, like way too much coffee and cigarettes. I understand being nervous but his hands shook like Michael J Fox's.

2 hours of range time. The range is small and indoors but open. No stalls. There is room for 3 shooters at a time with small banquet type tables in front of each shooter. We start, sitting, with .22's using cheap gun stands made of wood. Load 1, shoot, make safe. Repeat. Loud long whistle means STOP and put down the gun. 2 short whistles mean fire. No problems. Scary guy is NOT in my group and everyone NOT shooting is watching from a room behind us with an open door and windows. They are not in the actual range.

After warming up with the .22's (sitting, standing, single shot, multiple shot) The range officers move downfire, into the range, to change our targets. Scary guy comes into the range, walks up to the tables and picks up one of the pistols. One of the officers reprimanded him....never touch one of the weapons with someone downrange.

His turn to shoot. My god...is he shaking a martini? I am actually uneasy with a loaded gun in his hand and my wife 2 spots over. The range officers give him all the guidance they can. At one point the sequence is...load 6, fire 2, hold in low-ready position, fire 2 more, hold in low-ready, fire 2, make safe.
OK...fire on his command of 2 short whistles....Is the line ready?

BANG! Scary guys gun goes off.

Holy Crap! No whistle.

Range officer barks out a long hard whistle...all guns down. Scary guy is still holding his but at least he knows he did something wrong. His head is hanging down like a dog that crapped on the carpet.

Next is the bigger, qualifying, guns. He is shooting a revolver (borrowed) and the range officer is standing on top of this guy now. He is supposed to shoot single action, double, double etc... Eventually he understands and they help him get on target and even though he never stops shaking he does pass the class.

Now I'm shaking!!!

If I ever saw this guy with a gun in his hand I would leave the range. I understand that he was nervous...I was nervous... but you need to do EXACTLY what the range officers say when they say it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

grog, 6/14/10

Actually I kind of admire the guy. He obviously is terrified of guns and shooting but made the effort to make it through the course. He is the type of shooter who will need close supervision and much training but it is possible to make him comfortable with firearms. If we can turn one gun-hater at a time into a shooter, even if they start off badly, then it is OK with me.

Best wishes- oldandslow

Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Dude you just made me laugh my ass off. I had so many people like this serving and qualifying with me. You would be surprised how many higher officials in the military don't know the dangerous end of the gun let alone know how to use it. Before we even fired every year we had to sit through 4 hours of instruction. Still they couldn't get it.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #4

I dont mind afraid or nervous...I am a little afraid of them. They make me nervous. It means I am going to be very careful when I, or anyone around me, is handling them. I think it is more than nerves with him. He reminds me of one of those little dogs that just shakes all the time.

Seriously...I would leave the range if he was shooting. Hopefully he signs up for more training. I could see him being on the news because he thought his car was in reverse and he drove right through the front window of a store by mistake. I know it sounds mean. Thats not my intent. He just happens to be THAT guy!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Seriously...I would leave the range if he was shooting.
Nothing wrong with that. It's called wisdom. There is an open public range a few miles north of my home (DNR). It is very often not monitored by anyone. The first time I took my wife up there I told her you have to expect that sometimes you'll just have to turn around and leave if there are any yahoos. I've had to do it on several occasions. There's no way I'm going to stick around when someone who looks like they stepped out of a Monty Python skit has a gun.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
He is the type of shooter who will need close supervision and much training but it is possible to make him comfortable with firearms.
But the guy now has his CCW. What says he's going to get more supervision and training???

Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I had someone just like that in my class several years ago. I thought I was nervous, then I saw this guy with Situational Parkinsons. Thank goodness there was no required range time with my class, I probably would have been scared for my life just like you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The biggest thing here is that the State obviously will issue to and untrained citizen. That is irresponsible. It endangers her/him and the general public.

There should be a prerequisite class for untrained gun owners that affords time for them to get familiar with firearms and comfortable with their use. I think a two week class with plenty of range time is necessary!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
The biggest thing here is that the State obviously will issue to and untrained citizen. That is irresponsible. It endangers her/him and the general public.

There should be a prerequisite class for untrained gun owners that affords time for them to get familiar with firearms and comfortable with their use. I think a two week class with plenty of range time is necessary!!

Agreed. In MA, adding range time to the class is optional and determined by the instructor. As I said, there was zero range time for my class. I feel that I was taught enough about firearms safety, but wish I had some supervised trigger time. I ended up asking the instructor (good friend of my father) to accompany me with my first time to the range.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #10

I'm appalled that the ROs didn't handle things correctly. We run a line of ten to twelve (twelve is maximum for the class) and have an individual instructor for each person AND an over-all RO to control the full range.

Before anyone gets to handle a gun they are all told that the individual instructors are there to assure every individual follows the rules and that ANY serious transgression will have an arm coming over their shoulder and grabbing the gun. If that happens, they are done shooting, end of discussion. The last part seems to get everyone's attention and we have not needed to do that in at least the last ten years.

We have had a few that you really wonder about, but with an instructor standing right behind each student, it has not been an issue.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!