same round in the chamber on daily ccw - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > same round in the chamber on daily ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00
Why do you keep re-chambering? I always have a round in the chamber unless I go to the range to shoot.
Me too, the only time I unload it is for cleaning, which I sometimes do even tho I haven't been shooting and I rotate my rounds out.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
does this happen from putting the round into the magazine and letting the action chamber the round?

I have the same round in the chamber every time, but being a beretta, the chamber is easy to access, and I just manually feed the round that's going to be in the chamber, send the slide forward, then insert the mag.

I find this easier than inserting a full capacity magazine, chambering a round, then removing the magazine and loading another round.
Don't know about your Beretta, but with many semiautos this is not a good idea. With this method the extractor is forced to "jump" the case rim rather than the case being brought up and under the extractor during chambering, resulting in more stress on the extractor and possible failure.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #23

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Sounds like a lot of ya'll need to shoot more

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I had a Speer gold dot come apart last night. I thought it looked funny and I kind of pulled it some and it came apart.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #25

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Don't know about your Beretta, but with many semiautos this is not a good idea. With this method the extractor is forced to "jump" the case rim rather than the case being brought up and under the extractor during chambering, resulting in more stress on the extractor and possible failure.
Hadn't thought about how the chambering method tends to bring the round up and slide into the extractor. but...doesn't the extractor "jump" the case when it's ejected anyway? Plus, you're not stressing the metal, just the spring that supplies the tension on the extractor...and its not like you're pulling the extractor out further than normal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Sounds like a lot of ya'll need to shoot more

Yup, sure do! send me some ammo and I'll be glad to go shoot more often! or, if shipping is too much, you can just send me some cash instead, and I'll use it to go buy ammo so I can go to the range more often!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #26

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Chamber it and quit fiddling with it. No press checks, no swapping ammo.

I shoot my carry gun 2-3 times a year. So that round gets chambered 2-3 times, then it gets sent downrange.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #27

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Hadn't thought about how the chambering method tends to bring the round up and slide into the extractor. but...doesn't the extractor "jump" the case when it's ejected anyway? Plus, you're not stressing the metal, just the spring that supplies the tension on the extractor...and its not like you're pulling the extractor out further than normal...

Yup, sure do! send me some ammo and I'll be glad to go shoot more often! or, if shipping is too much, you can just send me some cash instead, and I'll use it to go buy ammo so I can go to the range more often!
The ejector tends to push the case somewhat sideways, "peeling" the case from under the extractor rather than the extractor having to jump the case rim.

The extractor isn't designed to be forced over the case rim..it's supposed to pull the spend cartridge from the chamber and the ejector then applies the force to pivot the case from the extractor. Forcing the extractor over the case rim places stress on all the parts and accelerates wear on the extractor it was not designed to be exposed to.

As I said, many manufacturers specifically instruct not to chamber a round in the method you described, for the reasons I, perhaps poorly, detailed above.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
its safe to do on pistols with external extractors. on the beretta 92 it is designed specificly to be able to drop single rounds into the chamber and close the slide. internal extractors like on springfield and colt 1911 you should never do this because it can damage the extractor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #29

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its safe to do on pistols with external extractors. on the beretta 92 it is designed specificly to be able to drop single rounds into the chamber and close the slide. internal extractors like on springfield and colt 1911 you should never do this because it can damage the extractor.
that's what I was thinking as well. After all, a "feature" of the Beretta design, is that you can load a single round at a time and still fire the weapon. They even listed it as a purposeful design feature of why the top of the slide is open the way it is, unlike a 1911 slide that fully covers the barrel. The way I read it was "the Beretta 92 does not have a mag safety so that if you ever lose or damage the magazine, you can still load and fire the weapon, one round at a time"

Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
I have the same round in the chamber every time, but being a beretta, the chamber is easy to access, and I just manually feed the round that's going to be in the chamber, send the slide forward, then insert the mag.

I find this easier than inserting a full capacity magazine, chambering a round, then removing the magazine and loading another round.
This is a really bad idea. The extractor is designed so the extractor groove slips under the hook of the extractor when the round comes up and aout of the magazine. It is NOT designed to be forced around the rim. You WILL eventually break the extractor.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball