same round in the chamber on daily ccw - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

same round in the chamber on daily ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Why do you keep re-chambering? I always have a round in the chamber unless I go to the range to shoot.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #12

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Why do you keep re-chambering? I always have a round in the chamber unless I go to the range to shoot.
For me, I don't have enough money to take regular range trips, and I clean my gun semi regularly, fired or not. I may thoroughly clean 7-10 times between range trips. My last range trip before Sunday was almost two months ago. I clean thoroughly for a couple reasons: 1. Nothing better to do if I can't shoot it, weapons familiarity, a Marine habit. And 2. Never has a weapon been destroyed by cleaning. A bullet every now and then is a small price to pay for knowing your gun intimately.

I also disassemble at least once a week at a minimum for a wipe down and relube, mostly to check for rust (familiar with Louisiana humidity?). I've had to clean rust off several times already, even though it's always well lubricated.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #13

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 36

JonM What part of my post made you think I was worried about set back. I all ready s l o w l y rack the slide. except at the range. I just done find a need to unload other than when cleaning .

Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #14

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Why would you need to Chamber more than once. My guns are always loaded and ready to either go plinking or BG bagging. No need to rechamber. Seems odd to me.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I usually re-chamber a round once. After that I use a magic marker on the base of it and put down in the mag. Once it resurfaces it means the whole mag has been rechambered and that mags gets used on the next range trip. Seems to work for me.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

from everybody's responses it doesn't seem like it's a good idea to keep re-chambering. is there at least a safe number of times i can keep doing it to a round or is it pretty much like playing with fire if i do?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
from everybody's responses it doesn't seem like it's a good idea to keep re-chambering. is there at least a safe number of times i can keep doing it to a round or is it pretty much like playing with fire if i do?
Setback tends to happen at it's greatest after the first rechamber. I suggest doing like I and others have done, compare the round side by side with a factory new round.

One good method is to stand the rechambered round up on it's base, in between two other factory new rounds (one on either side), and lay a ruler or some other straight edge across the top of all three. If the rechambered round touches the straight edge, I would consider it unquestionably safe. If it doesn't touch, use your discretion.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Setback tends to happen at it's greatest after the first rechamber. I suggest doing like I and others have done, compare the round side by side with a factory new round.

One good method is to stand the rechambered round up on it's base, in between two other factory new rounds (one on either side), and lay a ruler or some other straight edge across the top of all three. If the rechambered round touches the straight edge, I would consider it unquestionably safe. If it doesn't touch, use your discretion.
does the setback happen only on the bullet or can it also occur on the primer?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
JonM What part of my post made you think I was worried about set back. I all ready s l o w l y rack the slide. except at the range. I just done find a need to unload other than when cleaning .
sorry i musta misread it. i do that from time to time and normally catch it and re-edit
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
does the setback happen only on the bullet or can it also occur on the primer?
Your primer should never really be affected by anything but a firing pin...
If your primer is bulged or recessed quite noticeably I think I would first experiment to see if I could reproduce that effect (that's just me, it may not be safe I reckon), or I would call the manufacturer.