same round in the chamber on daily ccw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > same round in the chamber on daily ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default same round in the chamber on daily ccw

i have stumbled into a forum once before where folks mentioned that it's not good to keep re-chamber the same round everyday on ccw. can someone please elaborate why? thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #2

Liked 2400 Times on 1557 Posts

This can cause bullet setback, where the overall length of the loaded round is shorter. This causes higher than normal pressures.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

does this happen from putting the round into the magazine and letting the action chamber the round?

I have the same round in the chamber every time, but being a beretta, the chamber is easy to access, and I just manually feed the round that's going to be in the chamber, send the slide forward, then insert the mag.

I find this easier than inserting a full capacity magazine, chambering a round, then removing the magazine and loading another round.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
does this happen from putting the round into the magazine and letting the action chamber the round?

I have the same round in the chamber every time, but being a beretta, the chamber is easy to access, and I just manually feed the round that's going to be in the chamber, send the slide forward, then insert the mag.

I find this easier than inserting a full capacity magazine, chambering a round, then removing the magazine and loading another round.
Yes- If theres no beating banging or such you can "chamber" the same round a thousand times without affecting it-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

Mine dont last long enough to affect anything. Shoot it once in a while.

Might not hurt to look the round over good before re-chambering.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5507 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post

The slide slamming home on a round whether its from a mag or manually inserted causes the case to lose its grip on a bullet. Acts like a kinetic bullet puller.

I just ride the slide forward on my carry guns when i need to rechamber a round so there is no slamming around.

Rechambering once or twice isnt going to hurt it but repeatedly doing so can.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I went to the range Sunday. I had to clear and case my gun to enter the store where the indoor range is located. My top round had been rechambered several times with no real noticeable set back.

When I inserted that mag and tried to rechamber the same round for one least time, it failed to feed. I looked closely, and the round had basically slipped in the casing. It went from no noticeable set back (I always compare side by side with a fresh round anytime I eject the chambered round), to MAJOR set back. The entire round was almost a 1/4" shorter than a fresh one.

Bullet set back usually comes on progressively. But I found out two days ago that it can also happen extremely suddenly.

I'll continue with my method of side by side comparison. I've thrown out several that had set back on me. And when my gun is in my hip, I know that a good round has been chambered already because it's been compared and already chambered before I left the house.

I believe I've thrown out around 10-15 in the past year due to this phenomenon. Most of the cheap ammo I use seems to be good for 2-4 chamberings.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I try to rotate my chamber rounds. After a couple of times I'll empty mag and put that one at the bottom before it starts to setback. Also will visually check rounds side by side with a straight edge to see if any descernable difference is seen, , if any difference, toss that round just to be sure.
Works well for me because if I make it through the whole magazine that just means I'm not shooting enough. So far haven't rotated a whole mag.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't unload at night and only clean after a range trip that is ever two weeks at the most so no worries about bullet set back here.
But my slide does work fine moveing slowly and controled . No sling shot needed.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5507 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I don't unload at night and only clean after a range trip that is ever two weeks at the most so no worries about bullet set back here.
But my slide does work fine moveing slowly and controled . No sling shot needed.
You wont have setback if you controll the slide feeding rounds

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...