Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   same round in the chamber on daily ccw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/same-round-chamber-daily-ccw-78762/)

Krisms 12-18-2012 11:07 AM

same round in the chamber on daily ccw

i have stumbled into a forum once before where folks mentioned that it's not good to keep re-chamber the same round everyday on ccw. can someone please elaborate why? thanks!

primer1 12-18-2012 11:47 AM

This can cause bullet setback, where the overall length of the loaded round is shorter. This causes higher than normal pressures.

70cuda383 12-18-2012 12:11 PM

does this happen from putting the round into the magazine and letting the action chamber the round?

I have the same round in the chamber every time, but being a beretta, the chamber is easy to access, and I just manually feed the round that's going to be in the chamber, send the slide forward, then insert the mag.

I find this easier than inserting a full capacity magazine, chambering a round, then removing the magazine and loading another round.

HOSSFLY 12-18-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1056119)
does this happen from putting the round into the magazine and letting the action chamber the round?

I have the same round in the chamber every time, but being a beretta, the chamber is easy to access, and I just manually feed the round that's going to be in the chamber, send the slide forward, then insert the mag.

I find this easier than inserting a full capacity magazine, chambering a round, then removing the magazine and loading another round.

Yes- If theres no beating banging or such you can "chamber" the same round a thousand times without affecting it-

towboater 12-18-2012 12:23 PM

Mine dont last long enough to affect anything. Shoot it once in a while.

Might not hurt to look the round over good before re-chambering.

JonM 12-18-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1056119)

The slide slamming home on a round whether its from a mag or manually inserted causes the case to lose its grip on a bullet. Acts like a kinetic bullet puller.

I just ride the slide forward on my carry guns when i need to rechamber a round so there is no slamming around.

Rechambering once or twice isnt going to hurt it but repeatedly doing so can.

trip286 12-18-2012 01:51 PM

I went to the range Sunday. I had to clear and case my gun to enter the store where the indoor range is located. My top round had been rechambered several times with no real noticeable set back.

When I inserted that mag and tried to rechamber the same round for one least time, it failed to feed. I looked closely, and the round had basically slipped in the casing. It went from no noticeable set back (I always compare side by side with a fresh round anytime I eject the chambered round), to MAJOR set back. The entire round was almost a 1/4" shorter than a fresh one.

Bullet set back usually comes on progressively. But I found out two days ago that it can also happen extremely suddenly.

I'll continue with my method of side by side comparison. I've thrown out several that had set back on me. And when my gun is in my hip, I know that a good round has been chambered already because it's been compared and already chambered before I left the house.

I believe I've thrown out around 10-15 in the past year due to this phenomenon. Most of the cheap ammo I use seems to be good for 2-4 chamberings.

Bear304inc 12-18-2012 02:09 PM

I try to rotate my chamber rounds. After a couple of times I'll empty mag and put that one at the bottom before it starts to setback. Also will visually check rounds side by side with a straight edge to see if any descernable difference is seen, , if any difference, toss that round just to be sure.
Works well for me because if I make it through the whole magazine that just means I'm not shooting enough. So far haven't rotated a whole mag.

hardluk1 12-18-2012 04:05 PM

I don't unload at night and only clean after a range trip that is ever two weeks at the most so no worries about bullet set back here.
But my slide does work fine moveing slowly and controled . No sling shot needed.

JonM 12-18-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 1056372)
I don't unload at night and only clean after a range trip that is ever two weeks at the most so no worries about bullet set back here.
But my slide does work fine moveing slowly and controled . No sling shot needed.

You wont have setback if you controll the slide feeding rounds