Safe choice for our family - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Safe choice for our family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Next steps

Hello everyone again,

I hope it's ok to revive this old thread, but I thought it would explain better where I'm coming from when considering next steps.

So the issue has been on the back burner for a while. The situatin in the neighborhood actually got a lot better due to other types of intervention. So that's all good and we're back to being the quaint little Mass seaside village that we're supposed to be.

After having done more research on how the licence issue works here locally and after getting to know some of the local law inforcement folks and meeting a few other people who may be interested in getting a licence and the appropriate training, I started thinking again what kind of gun may be the right thing to have.

As you can probably tell, I know next to nothing but after doing some reading I somehow felt that the Walther P99 as a 9mm may be a good choice.

Any thoughts on that?

And then I am still puzzled by the storage question. I have two little kids so I would want a gun locked up and out of their reach. But then again, in the unlikely event of a home intrusion or so, I'd like to be able to access it quickly...

Third question: with one gun like the P99 in the house, should both my wife and me have a licence? What happens legally if something like a P99 was registered in my name and she would use it while I wasn't home? Could she carry/transport it leagally to a shooting range for practice? Is there somehting liek joined ownership? Or would she essentially have to own her own gun to be on the safe side legally?

Thanks and Happy Easter

Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #22

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Masslibertarian, glad to see you back on the forum.

We can't give you legal advice on Mass law, but what I would recommend, is that you pick out a couple local gunshops in your area and stop by when you have some time. I say a couple because you want several different opinions. Most gunshop owners have the knowlege on the respective state laws so they are a good source of info. If they have a range and rent guns even better for you because you and your wife can go and try out different guns on the range to see what you prefer. If they are busy at the time, they may not want to spend a lot of time answering questions so hang in there.

With kids in the house there is no way of getting around having the guns locked and placed in an unaccessible location. Nightime does pose a problem because you want to know that your weapon is available when you're in bed, but remember the noise that you hear can be one of your kids who woke up during the night and feel the need to come see you or your wife. If you do decide to purchase and store a gun in the house only you and your wife will have to decide in how that will be done.

I'm sure that others will jump in and give a few more pointers or ideas. Let us know how things progress.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #23

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I can't talk to you about MA law but I can tell you there is nothing wrong with a Walther P99. I've owned several of them in different calibers and they are a great handgun...

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
And I would STRONGLY disagree with the above advice about shooting someone for opening the door after they've been warned. You would be hard pressed to make a legal argument that you were in fear of imminent serious bodily injury or death just because your commands were ignored. Only shoot after you've POSITIVELY identified the target, be it paper, an animal or a human.
That Sir, is Bullpucky ! You have given a warning. You are in your "saferoom" and the assailant still wants to confront you ? PULL THE TRIGGER ! If it's an officer, he will announce himself as such.

Especially when family members are hiding and cowering from a threat..

That Sir, is time to drop the hammer IMO.. Sure, I'll deal with the courts. But at least my family members are ALIVE !!

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Is the recent influx of ancient threads an inside joke on the resurrection of Jesus? WTF is with the necromancy?

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 04-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Is the recent influx of ancient threads an inside joke on the resurrection of Jesus? WTF is with the necromancy?
Only if the thread was as empty as the tomb...

But anyway... the original poster reopened the thread so I see nothing wrong with that. I am surprised that no one ever suggested a shotgun instead....

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #27

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masslibertarian View Post

And then I am still puzzled by the storage question. I have two little kids so I would want a gun locked up and out of their reach. But then again, in the unlikely event of a home intrusion or so, I'd like to be able to access it quickly...

Thanks and Happy Easter
Mount to your bed frame or anywhere it is accessible for you and your wife.
fas1-mount-options-004.jpg  

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #28

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

For a couple of people with no training,I would think the best gun would be a .357 magnum with a 4" barrel.A 2" barrel is usually perferred more by a woman,but you lose a ton of stopping power by going less than a 4" in .357 magnum.An automatic can be a nice weapon,and comes in handy with small children around because you can leave the chamber empty on an automatic,but you really have to practice alot more with automatics and keep them perfectly clean because they can be finicky.A revolver is a no nonsense gun,all you need to know is how to pull the trigger and it goes boom,and in revolvers,I think .357 magnum is the best.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #29

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're worried about home invasion

Quote:
Buy two guns. Purchase weapons you and your wife are individually comfortable with as no one gun is going to be perfect for both of you. Go to the range together and take the kids. Get training for yourself and your wife and carry all the time. You can store the weapons in a bedside holster or safe that is easily accessible. If someone breaks down your front door with the intent of robbery, you won't have time to open the safe to get your gun.

Teach your children about guns and take them out to shoot. The sound and destructive power of the firearm in conjunction with proper gun safety education should keep them safe.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I am surprised that no one ever suggested a shotgun instead....
Ditto. If i had kids, i'd just hang the Mossy pump12 up out of their easy reach. I don't think a kid young enough not to be afraid of one would be big enough to rack a shell into the chamber, but again, i don't have kids.

Of course, if you had a mossy with the home defense 18.5" barrel and the 28" barrel for hunting, the kids could be taught to use it when they got old enough. I don't remember much "playing" with guns (toy or not) after i killed something with my first lil rifle.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.