Safe choice for our family - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Safe choice for our family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10976 Times on 4755 Posts
Likes Given: 1803

Anothe vote for a double action revolver- 38 special or 357 Magnum. The operation is much simpler. If you cannot afford a rather pricy gun safe (and just having bought a house, understand your budget may be limited) you can secure a revolver against unauthorized use by slipping a padlock thru the trigger guard BEHIND the trigger. Not the ideal, but it works. DO get some training, and DO go shoot. Be sure you AND your wife are both using eye and ear protection on the range. DO look at security of your home- you are buying time to get to your defenses if someone is trying to force their way in. PS- motion detector floodlights for exterior sell at Home Depot for about $14.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #12

Thank you so very much every one! This was all very helpful and thoughtful. I have a great starting point now for further research and discussion with my wife on where we want to go with this.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #13

If you really want a gun that has a lot of stopping power, a pump-action shotgun can't be beat. Mossberg and Remington are good brands to start with and are usually cheaper than a good handgun. The most important thing no matter what you decide on, is to get very familiar with it which includes your wife and children. A gun is useless if you don't know how to use it. Get your family together and make different plans on what to do in case of a threatening situation. Remember, most home protection guns end up shooting a friend or family member by accident so learning about the gun as a family is important. The Doctor.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu View Post
Remember, most home protection guns end up shooting a friend or family member by accident so learning about the gun as a family is important. The Doctor.

You were doing good up to this point Dr. Shock! This is completely false and misleading. Any member of a firearms forum should know that study after study on shooting statistics disproves this "anti-gun" propaganda. As a matter of fact, in quite a few cases of "accidental" shootings, forensics evidence has proven the commission of a crime, not an accident, and more often than not it is due to "a woman scorned" or abused by her husband/boyfriend.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-17-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #15

Quote:
If you really want a gun that has a lot of stopping power, a pump-action shotgun can't be beat. Mossberg and Remington are good brands to start with and are usually cheaper than a good handgun. The most important thing no matter what you decide on, is to get very familiar with it which includes your wife and children. A gun is useless if you don't know how to use it. Get your family together and make different plans on what to do in case of a threatening situation. Remember, most home protection guns end up shooting a friend or family member by accident so learning about the gun as a family is important. The Doctor.
What! That's bullcrap; and, you should know it. What thinking person who is knowledgeable about firearms would recommend to a neophyte that he should use a shotgun for home defense!

Firearms training for the whole family is correct; that's why the NRA offers the, 'Eddie Eagle' program for kids. Long guns are more difficult to safely store, more difficult to use inside the home, and more difficult for many (if not most) women to use effectively - I, once, saw a woman drop a shotgun immediately upon firing it; and, I know from my years behind the counter in different gun shops that this situation is not unusual.

A shotgun pattern can also really open up as it passes through: walls, doors, and ceilings. It can wreck havoc on: appliances, plumbing, and electrical lines. In addition to the intended target, who knows who or what else might be struck by an expanding shot charge!

I, also, know from personal experience that smaller shot sizes won't stop a determined attacker at even 12 to 15 feet; and, larger (#2 or greater) shot patterns are much too uncertain to use inside of your home or apartment. What the typical family needs is a reliable centerfire pistol with a barrel that's 3" or longer, a bright flashlight with fresh batteries, a fully-charged cell phone, and the correct preparatory firearms training for self-defense and engagement.

I should have addressed this in my initial response; however, while a semiautomatic pistol might be better for a left-handed person to use, at the same time, difficult FTF issues, like limp wristing, and other FTF/FTE jams might appear. It takes additional training and considerable familiarity to know how to effectively clear a jammed pistol under stress. (I've watched experienced competitors have trouble clearing semi-auto jams while on the line!)

Limited firearms experience? First handgun? Home defense? Get a decent revolver and several speedloaders. This will, also, alleviate the constant need to always remember that there's often one more round hiding inside a semiautomatic's chamber - Even after that loaded magazine is removed! Learn how to safely and properly use a revolver, first, before moving on to other more sophisticated weapons that require, both, more experience with the weapon, and greater familiarity of the operator.

Don't make the all too common mistake of judging everyone else's firearms ability by your own longstanding experience.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #16

Whoops! Did I write all that? J/K. Thanks guys for giving me better info. I have a question. What type of round would be relatively safe in the house as far as over penetration? Years ago, I heard about the Glaser Safety slug which is supposed to have good stopping power but won't go thru walls. What's your opinions? The Doctor.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Whoops! Did I write all that? J/K. Thanks guys for giving me better info. I have a question. What type of round would be relatively safe in the house as far as over penetration? Years ago, I heard about the Glaser Safety slug which is supposed to have good stopping power but won't go thru walls. What's your opinions? The Doctor.
Well, certainly not Glasers! There's an anecdote about Dr. Martin Fackler and Glasers: When asked how long it would take for a man to die after he'd been hit by a Glaser, 'Safety Slug' and to, also, describe the exact wound dynamics that killed him; i.e.: tissue crush, exsanguination, or wound cavitation, Dr. Fackler quipped; 'About 3 days and, probably, from peritonitis.'

Inside my own home I follow certain guidelines for responsible self defense. First, I know where all the, 'clear lanes of fire' are located. Second, I have specific, 'points-of-engagement' around the property where I can really pour it on if I have to. Third, I use, 'angles-of-fire' to my best advantage. Sometimes, and in certain areas, I would drop to one knee before firing in order to angle the shot upwards. At other times I would angle the shot downwards to avoid sending a round out toward one of my neighbors.

Skillful home defense always requires forethought and a plan. It should never be just a matter of grabbing a gun and going to investigate. There's an old adage about people who play, 'gun games in the dark': He who moves first loses - Period. Consequently, anyone who voluntarily leaves a secured area inside the home in order to investigate a disturbance elsewhere does so at considerable risk to himself. Even inside your own home it's always to your advantage to bring the intruder into you.

Every home contains certain, 'choke points' where the intruder will place himself at considerable risk by attempting to close in on you. Stairwells, hallways, and doorways are three very deadly places to attempt to move through. Your chances of being successfully attacked, here, are very high.

A shrewd homeowner knows how to quickly barricade himself into a strong defensive position. It could be a matter of diving behind your gun safe. (One of the very best places to take cover, and a good reason to place your gun safe in a commanding corner of your bedroom!) You can improvise an expedient barricade by quickly folding up your mattress against a bedroom wall, or standing behind a large armoire. A refrigerator can, also, make another good expedient barricade.

What bullet do I use around my own home? I use Speer and Remington JHP's in the pistols. For whatever it's worth the softest, crappiest, 'go nowhere' round on the planet is Winchester Silvertips. If you're loaded up with Silvertips and need to use them, hold COM and just keep on firing!

Remember that, by their very nature, no bullet can be guaranteed not to penetrate. Under the right circumstances they will all go flying on through! That's why you need to apply other methodologies to the problems inherent in every home defense scenario: An awareness of where your neighbors are located, available open lines-of-fire, ideal angles-of-fire, and carefully selected barricade and ambush points are all factors that must be taken into consideration BEFORE a home invasion takes place.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Masslibertarian,
Those can be very complicated issues with both confusing and conflicting answers. When you ask for the best of anything, you are going to get well intentioned responses telling you what gun the responder believes is THE BEST, because it works for him or her. What works for any one of us, won't necessarily work for you and your family.

I'd advise you to find a reputable self defense trainer (not just some gun store commando) somewhere in New England (google) who after explaining what you want and how much you can afford, will give you various options. The best way for you to figure out what works for you, is to get the various types of handguns in your hands and shoot them, with a trainer.

A lot of bad, outdated information has come from the Internet or, "Joe's Gun & Bait Shop." (Sorry Joe.) For instance, most of us "macho guys" like to carry a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol and then assume that women will only like a ".38 or something." I've known many women who carry full size .45 semi-automatics, and many men who prefer a snub-nose .38. A lot of gun magazine writers like to write articles about big bore pistols, usually a sponsor's product, but find them on their off time out with their family, and many will have a .38 snubby in their pocket.

Because you and yours are considering an expensive, life changing decision, I'd recommend you get the best professional help possible. Sure, you'll probably have to pay for it, but you can pay a heck of a lot more by getting something that ultimately won't work for you. Your asking for help here is a good first step, but beware of free advice. You get what you pay for.

There is a lot of good information out there, and sadly a lot of misinformation, myths and old wife's tales. One place to get some basic FREE information to help you decide, is on a web site called Gun Talk TV. http://www.guntalk.tv/site.php I personally know the guy who set this up, Tom Gresham, and he knows his stuff. A lot of what I've learned, I learned from him. He also has a nationwide radio talk show on Sundays, http://www.guntalk.com/. Give his radio show a call this Sunday and chat with him. He won't talk down to you and can give you many more ideas. (Tell him Ron, formerly with Leupold says hi.) Tom has teamed up with Thunder Ranch, one of the premier firearms training schools in the world to set this up. They are also shooting video for the new TV season where they have a Self Defense TV show, on the Sportsman's channel (cable.) http://www.thunderranchinc.com/ The Outdoor Channel also has a variety of shooting programming. Give his radio show a call this Sunday and talk with him. He'll not talk down to you and will give you some good advice. If you can't get the radio show on the air, you can listen online.

If this is already seeming to be confusing for you, check with the NRA. Because the NRA certifies virtually all police firearms instructors, they are up to date on what works. http://www.nra.org/home.aspx

Good luck, and congratulations on deciding to take your personal safety into your own hands. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

By-the-way, asking police officers for recommendations doesn't always help. Most police departments don't want officers recommending anything. The problem, as with so many other facts of life, is law suits. If an officer recommends Lightning Alarm Company, the folks at Thunder Alarms will complain to the chief that his officers are hurting his business. Likewise with dirt-bag apartment buildings. The best bet is to check them out yourself and trust your gut. The good Lord gave us instincts, and many of us get into trouble when we ignore those instincts.

Safe choice for our family - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey "Dr." Shakalu, may I recommend you visit Gun Facts.com? http://www.gunfacts.info/index.html Get updated, honest and real information about guns. It's free.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Hey "Dr." Shakalu, may I recommend you visit Gun Facts.com? http://www.gunfacts.info/index.html Get updated, honest and real information about guns. It's free.

Thanks Pioneer. I just added it to my Favorites. The Doctor.