Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   S&w bodyguard 38 or keltec pf9? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/s-w-bodyguard-38-keltec-pf9-98414/)

cllowe 10-09-2013 06:51 PM

S&w bodyguard 38 or keltec pf9?

Help me decide. I like the size of the keltec but like the weight of the s&w.

John_Deer 10-09-2013 07:21 PM

I have a Kel Tec P 3AT and a P 11. Both guns can easily be carried in my pocket. They both can be shot accurately with a white's trigger stop and a lot of practice. Neither gun is fun to shoot. Perceived recoil is an issue, even though both cartridges are not known for having a heavy recoil. Both the P 11 and the P 3AT have broken more than all the other guns in my collection combined. I continue to carry them because pocket pistols regardless of the manufacturer, break and malfunction more than any other gun in their line up. Both are reliable after a lot of tinkering by myself and Kel Tec.

Unless you are a tinkerer I can't recommend a Kel Tec. This is my opinion of pocket pistols: If you have one that is reliable hang on to it. Any manufacturers pocket pistol is prone to malfunction and break. What I mean by pocket pistol is a gun that weighs less than 16 oz empty including the magazine.

txpossum 10-10-2013 12:13 PM

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Smith. But then again, I'll almost always choose a Smith and Wesson.

hardluk1 10-10-2013 08:51 PM

Buy the s&w but not the poly version bodyguard 38 . Buy the regular airweight for only of 7/10ths of an oz more you could have an all metal handgun 642 or 442. Even a model that will except moon clips. Now the KT pf-9 can be solid defense gun and they have the best CS in the industry. I had one I carried for a 2 years and 2000 rounds all trouble free BUT they can never be concedered fun to shoot or as accurate as many other small pistols do to the light weight.

GlockRenegade 10-11-2013 03:53 AM

S&W all the way. Forget Keltec

JW357 10-11-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Smith. But then again, I'll almost always choose a Smith and Wesson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
S&W all the way. Forget Keltec

Agreed. Go with the Smith.

Doc3402 10-11-2013 11:21 AM

I have a PF9. It is 100% reliable, but it is not fun to shoot. The recoil is about what you would expect, but that's not the problem. The slide release is a pure natural bear to operate. It's tight, it's rough, and the thumb platform is too small. It is my understanding that if you ask KelTec they will send you an over-sized release. I plan to ask as soon as I remember to during business hours. Today might be the day. Thanks for the reminder.

I have never fired the Smith, so I won't offer an opinion.

hardluk1 10-11-2013 12:20 PM

With a 38 you can load or buy wadcutter loads to learn with and be esy on recoil. That can build confidence it the handgun then move up to some 38 defense loads and finally some +P loads that may have you looking for a full grip!! With a 9mm there no light soft loads for a pf-9and there all no fun. +p's even less than no fun. The p-11 my not pass as a pocket pistol do to the grips width it is easier to shoot and still only 14oz empty and it is shorter than the pf-9 and way easier to shoot do to the wider grip. It also can use a s&w model 59 mag as aback up.. The sccy cpx-2 is a prettier version of the p-11 made by X KT guys. Both these cost the same as a pf-9, 260range.

DeltaF 10-11-2013 05:17 PM

Have you tried handling the Ruger LC9? It's the same size/weight as the pf9 but is better made IMO.

cllowe 10-13-2013 03:38 PM

No I need to look in to the lc9. I took the s&w in on a trade and not that pleased with it. I would like a 9mm pocket due to my consolidating of calibers. Was thinking of trading for a pf9 but I read a lot of bad things. I am not crazy about things that don't work.