S&W 442 vs Ruger LC9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > S&W 442 vs Ruger LC9

View Poll Results: S&W 442 vs Ruger LC9
442 6 46.15%
LC9 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default S&W 442 vs Ruger LC9

I was in my local gun shop buying some ammo and other miscellaneous items and noticed a new LC9 in the case. I was thinking how easily it would replace the 442 in my pocket. So I asked to see it and fondled it profusely. Sight acquisition was much faster than my 442, I liked the feel of it a LOT, and I like the idea of seven rounds of almost identical (ballistically) 9mm. Its priced at $400, but I could probably talk the owner down a bit when I pick up my bulk order of .223 next week .

So should I trade in my 442 for the LC9? Lets hear some opinions.

442.jpg   lc9.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a 642, like yours just stainless. I wouldn't consider trading it for LC9. Sight acquisition is a term bettter used for pistols expected for shooting at a distance. Both are draw to defend a threat in your personal space. The difference between the front/rear sight is a huge factor. The LC may snag on the sights when pulled, the S&W is set up for quick draw and quick use. Yes you pick up a few extra rounds but at distances the pistols are intended for if you don't get it done in five 38spl +P rounds a few more won't help you. IMHO

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Yes you pick up a few extra rounds but at distances the pistols are intended for if you don't get it done in five 38spl +P rounds a few more won't help you. IMHO
That's what I used to say, but since I learned that officers only hit 15% of the time I DO have to mention: 15% of 5 is .75 (zero bullets), 15% of 8 is 1.2 (one bullet). THAT is the biggest difference.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #4

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The S&W is just a better made gun,Ruger's auto's seem to be not all that spectacular.Now if you said a Ruger LCR vs the S&W,the matchup would be closer because Ruger makes pretty good revolvers-but even then i'd still get the S&W.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
The S&W is just a better made gun,Ruger's auto's seem to be not all that spectacular.Now if you said a Ruger LCR vs the S&W,the matchup would be closer because Ruger makes pretty good revolvers-but even then i'd still get the S&W.
In that comparison, I would favor a 442 over a polymer frame revolver .

I just like semis better than revolvers. I enjoy carrying my 442 just because its a good pocket gun. I don't like that its only 5 rounds, its a little too snappy - thus I don't enjoy shooting it at the range, and the cylinder is a little bulgy in my pocket.

Maybe I'll just get the LC9 and keep my 442?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's what I'd suggest is for you to keep the 442 and buy the LC9. That way you can compare them side by side.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
That's what I used to say, but since I learned that officers only hit 15% of the time I DO have to mention: 15% of 5 is .75 (zero bullets), 15% of 8 is 1.2 (one bullet). THAT is the biggest difference.
That might be a fact in some sense, please post where you got your data from. It's a broad expression at best but considering the pistols in question are intended for close use. I expect that information would be far different. 10'-20' effen hard not to put far more on center mass than 15%.

.75 with five or 1.2 with eight is poor shooting concerning hitting center mass at the distance the pistols are inended for...unless your wearing high heels, have your eyes closed and crying like a school girl.

Hey at least your good at math

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

So I spent all this time thinking it over, went to the shop yesterday to pick up the LC9, and someone had bought it. Everyone else is back-ordered. Problem solved I guess....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

These are about the same size. I'd go with the revolver in that case.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 06-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
That might be a fact in some sense, please post where you got your data from. It's a broad expression at best but considering the pistols in question are intended for close use. I expect that information would be far different. 10'-20' effen hard not to put far more on center mass than 15%.

.75 with five or 1.2 with eight is poor shooting concerning hitting center mass at the distance the pistols are inended for...unless your wearing high heels, have your eyes closed and crying like a school girl.

Hey at least your good at math
I would hope I'm good at math, I'm at Virginia Tech for Aerospace Engineering....so the entire country would suffer if I couldn't do simple arithmetic . Jokes aside, this was a statistic put out by the FBI (I didn't see the report, the guy teaching the Concealed Carry course told us that)....so no, it's NOT the most direct/trustworthy source. However, a policeman on another forum said it was approaching 20% in recent years.

My point still remains, I'd rather assume I can shoot no better than well trained officers (and be optimistic in thinking that they're "well trained") than risk my life on not wanting to carry 1 or 2 more bullets. My pistol has 13+1, and I plan on using them all if I have to draw.