Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   S&W 442 vs Ruger LC9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/s-w-442-vs-ruger-lc9-43541/)

dnthmn2004 06-06-2011 11:33 PM

S&W 442 vs Ruger LC9

2 Attachment(s)
I was in my local gun shop buying some ammo and other miscellaneous items and noticed a new LC9 in the case. I was thinking how easily it would replace the 442 in my pocket. So I asked to see it and fondled it profusely. Sight acquisition was much faster than my 442, I liked the feel of it a LOT, and I like the idea of seven rounds of almost identical (ballistically) 9mm. Its priced at $400, but I could probably talk the owner down a bit when I pick up my bulk order of .223 next week :).

So should I trade in my 442 for the LC9? Lets hear some opinions.

WDB 06-07-2011 04:57 AM

I have a 642, like yours just stainless. I wouldn't consider trading it for LC9. Sight acquisition is a term bettter used for pistols expected for shooting at a distance. Both are draw to defend a threat in your personal space. The difference between the front/rear sight is a huge factor. The LC may snag on the sights when pulled, the S&W is set up for quick draw and quick use. Yes you pick up a few extra rounds but at distances the pistols are intended for if you don't get it done in five 38spl +P rounds a few more won't help you. IMHO

victorzamora 06-09-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 518998)
Yes you pick up a few extra rounds but at distances the pistols are intended for if you don't get it done in five 38spl +P rounds a few more won't help you. IMHO

That's what I used to say, but since I learned that officers only hit 15% of the time I DO have to mention: 15% of 5 is .75 (zero bullets), 15% of 8 is 1.2 (one bullet). THAT is the biggest difference.

ninjatoth 06-15-2011 12:11 AM

The S&W is just a better made gun,Ruger's auto's seem to be not all that spectacular.Now if you said a Ruger LCR vs the S&W,the matchup would be closer because Ruger makes pretty good revolvers-but even then i'd still get the S&W.

dnthmn2004 06-15-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 522984)
The S&W is just a better made gun,Ruger's auto's seem to be not all that spectacular.Now if you said a Ruger LCR vs the S&W,the matchup would be closer because Ruger makes pretty good revolvers-but even then i'd still get the S&W.

In that comparison, I would favor a 442 over a polymer frame revolver :rolleyes:.

I just like semis better than revolvers. I enjoy carrying my 442 just because its a good pocket gun. I don't like that its only 5 rounds, its a little too snappy - thus I don't enjoy shooting it at the range, and the cylinder is a little bulgy in my pocket.

Maybe I'll just get the LC9 and keep my 442? :confused:

stalkingbear 06-15-2011 01:01 AM

That's what I'd suggest is for you to keep the 442 and buy the LC9. That way you can compare them side by side.

WDB 06-16-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorzamora (Post 520318)
That's what I used to say, but since I learned that officers only hit 15% of the time I DO have to mention: 15% of 5 is .75 (zero bullets), 15% of 8 is 1.2 (one bullet). THAT is the biggest difference.

That might be a fact in some sense, please post where you got your data from. It's a broad expression at best but considering the pistols in question are intended for close use. I expect that information would be far different. 10'-20' effen hard not to put far more on center mass than 15%.

.75 with five or 1.2 with eight is poor shooting concerning hitting center mass at the distance the pistols are inended for...unless your wearing high heels, have your eyes closed and crying like a school girl.

Hey at least your good at math:eek:

dnthmn2004 06-16-2011 03:03 PM

So I spent all this time thinking it over, went to the shop yesterday to pick up the LC9, and someone had bought it. Everyone else is back-ordered. Problem solved I guess....

Marthor 06-16-2011 03:22 PM

These are about the same size. I'd go with the revolver in that case.

victorzamora 06-16-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 523718)
That might be a fact in some sense, please post where you got your data from. It's a broad expression at best but considering the pistols in question are intended for close use. I expect that information would be far different. 10'-20' effen hard not to put far more on center mass than 15%.

.75 with five or 1.2 with eight is poor shooting concerning hitting center mass at the distance the pistols are inended for...unless your wearing high heels, have your eyes closed and crying like a school girl.

Hey at least your good at math:eek:

I would hope I'm good at math, I'm at Virginia Tech for Aerospace Engineering....so the entire country would suffer if I couldn't do simple arithmetic :D. Jokes aside, this was a statistic put out by the FBI (I didn't see the report, the guy teaching the Concealed Carry course told us that)....so no, it's NOT the most direct/trustworthy source. However, a policeman on another forum said it was approaching 20% in recent years.

My point still remains, I'd rather assume I can shoot no better than well trained officers (and be optimistic in thinking that they're "well trained") than risk my life on not wanting to carry 1 or 2 more bullets. My pistol has 13+1, and I plan on using them all if I have to draw.