RV carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > RV carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default RV carry

In a couple of months when I retire, I plan on heading out in an RV for about a year. I will probably stick to the 30 states that honor my CCW.

While in the RV, what would anyone recommend for bedside protection that won't kill someone 20 feet away in another RV or car? Maybe a my Taurus Judge with #9 shot? My Daisy BB gun?

Maybe an alternative type of protection would be best. I even thought of things like an ear spitting air horn, but I have to think of surprising someone already in the RV too, so it would involve my carry gun. I have a S&W 642, maybe rat shot?

Any of you folks traveled armed in an RV?

-Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #2

If you have a CCW and are out full timing it, I would be less concerned about the "neighbors" if there is some mope in my "house" and more about getting him "handled".

If the neighbors are your concern, try a "T Ball" bat. It can be devastating (and stays inside your RV). The end of a shovel handle (about 30" of it) also works quite well.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #3

While I don't RV cross country and I rarely stay in a campground with many, if any neighbors. Boondocking I think its called in the RV community. I have a 24 foot travel trailer that my family uses for camping and hunting. I like to shoot so I normally have an arsenal with me. Never really thought about defending against an intruder. I guess my .44 mag would be it because its always close.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #4

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
If you have a CCW and are out full timing it, I would be less concerned about the "neighbors" if there is some mope in my "house" and more about getting him "handled".

If the neighbors are your concern, try a "T Ball" bat. It can be devastating (and stays inside your RV). The end of a shovel handle (about 30" of it) also works quite well.
My primary goal is of course to stay alive. But I also don't want to spend my retirement in criminal and civil court.

-Bob

Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBob518
My primary goal is of course to stay alive. But I also don't want to spend my retirement in criminal and civil court.
Check the laws of the individual states you are planning on traveling through. Many have laws similar to Colorado where an RV is considered the same as your house and you have full right to expel any mope that breaks in, with any force you think necessary. In other words, don't worry about shooting the ding-bat.

The other consideration is shooting near "neighbors". If you hit the mope, I seriously doubt there will be repercussions of a bullet entering a neighbors "house". Hit him solidly, COM and the energy left in the bullet will not penetrate far. Besides which, in an RV you would most likely be shooting front to back or back to front rather than side to side AND most likely be shooting from a low position to someone standing (shooting upward).

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8960 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

I would urge you NOT to attept to use any form of "ratshot" or "snakeshot", simply because it is NOT going to stop an attacker with any kind of certainty IF the attacker is larger than a field mouse. Pick a firearm you are comfortable with, accurate with, and load it with a good personal defense cartridge. That may be a .380, a .38 Special, a 9mm, ,40, 45, or some other. It will RARELY be a .44 Mag, .460, or .999 Bambi Stomper. It should be a gun you shoot well shot after shot after shot- because you may very well need more than one shot to stop an attacker. My everyday carry is an old S&W Mdl 36, loaded with good HP ammo. Yes, I own several .357s, 9s, 45s- but I can put 5 of the 38s in a space the size of your hand at 7 yds- in the time that most .357 snubby shooters are getting off shot #2- recoil, ya know. Put bullets in the person attacking you, they are not likely to go much further, unless you picked the .308 or the .50 Barrett.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would defend my RV home with the same, if not more, force that I would defend my bricks and mortar home with. Once someone breaks into your RV, they are IN the same room as you. There is no locking the bedroom door and calling 911. The bad guy is 10 feet away, do you want to put your life in the hands of Speer rat shot or Gold Dot's? At a time like this I would not worry about what a bullet MIGHT hit, I would just worry about what I NEED it to hit. Go with a proven fight stopper, i.e. 9mm, 40, .357, 45 etc.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Why not load the first 3 or 4 rounds of your 9mm or similar full-power handgun with frangible rounds?

FRANGIBLE Ammo : Ammunition To Go

It is designed--I think--for air marshals so it won't penetrate the shell of an airplane.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

First things first: Kill the bad guy deader than sh*t. If you want to shoot shot, make it 12GA 4 shot through an improved choke. If there's a chance that the maggot is going to wake you up by jumping on you, have a handgun.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #10

A good shotgun sounds like your best bet.