Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Ruger sr9c (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ruger-sr9c-71510/)

redneckdaddy 08-31-2012 10:41 AM

Ruger sr9c

Anyone have one or have shot one before? Lookin to get one to carry.

genesis 08-31-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckdaddy (Post 922531)
Anyone have one or have shot one before? Lookin to get one to carry.

Hi Redneckdaddy. I've been a revolver guy most of my life. But I just had to try one of these new (to me) polymer, striker fired autos. I've been doing my homework for 3 months, and finally picked up a brand new Ruger SR40C just last week for $419. It's the same as the SR9C. They're mighty sweet guns. I reload and cast my own bullets, so ammo cost isn't a factor for me. I have a shooting range on my property and shoot my 44 mag and 357 mag pretty regularly so recoil with the 40 wasn't a problem, less than a 38 special.

First thing I did was remove the magazine disconnect. That took just 5 minutes. Now I can dry fire without having a mag in the gun, and not damage anything. It was dead on right out of the box. Quick double taps on a pie plate at 21 feet were no problem. And while it's not a target pistol, it shot nice little groups at 50 feet in slow fire. The fully adjustable sights are a nice feature not found on to many other small guns. In the videos I've included below, notice the long range accuracy of these guns out to 80 yards. It's not really the gun. It's the shooter. I practice a lot with all of my handguns at 50 and 75 yards.

Some make a big deal of the loaded chamber indicator on the SR series. It's big and sticks up high when loaded. I like it and have no problem with it. It in no way interferes with the sights. You literally forget it's there. But it's nice to have, especially in low light conditions. The cocked indicator is also nice to have. It has a frame mounted 1911 style safety which some like and some don't like nor see a need for on a gun which also has a Glock style safe-action trigger. Use it, don't use it. It's up to each individual shooter. I don't use the frame mounted safety (now), although I've practiced wiping it off with my thumb, without disturbing my grip, after the gun is drawn, and it's no problem - now that I'm use to it. Practice is the key here. I can't hit the mag release button without changing my grip on the gun. If you have bigger hands, maybe you can. In a real life scenario, if you have to hit that mag release button, it's no longer self defense. It's a fire fight! Practicing all aspects of self defense with an auto is critical. Simple target practice doesn't cut it. Quickly assessing the situation, mastering fast reloading, clearing all manner of malfunctions, double taps, real close confrontations, point-and-shoot, what to do if the assailant doesn't stop shooting at you and you know you've hit him twice, etc, are all crucial.

Ballistically, the 9MM, 357 Sig, 40S&W and 45ACP all perform about the same with modern, state-of-the-art self defense ammo. So if you don't reload, the 9 is a wise choice as practice ammo is just $10 a box (around here, and on the internet). If you're recoil conscious and reload, the 40 can be downloaded to 9MM ballistics. Be aware that if you reload and buy once-fired brass (or pick up range brass), you'll have one extra step in the reloading process. Any ammo shot from a Glock develops a slight bulge close to the rim. This can cause failure to feed problems. This bulge can't be removed with normal sizing dies as the case can't be pushed far enough in to the die. A special die from Lee Precision called a Bulge Buster will get rid of the bulge and bring the case back to SAAMI standards. This bulge is the result of an unsupported chamber in Glock barrels. I've heard that an unsupported chamber will/can/may increase reliability. I think Glock is the only manufacture to use this method - but I could be wrong.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...comparison.jpg

There is a plethora of extremely fine guns in today's market, so it just boils down to personal preference. You really can't go wrong. There are a ton of excellent gun review videos on youtube. I've included a few on the SR9C and SR40C. But you can search youtube for any gun you may be interested in. I warn you that watching the vids can be addictive. It was/is for me. I'm extremely pleased with my choice of the SR40C but I think I would have been just as happy with about 6 dozen other guns to. It was really fun (and very educational) for me over the last three months as I poured over hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of gun videos.

Enjoy the journey, happy shooting, and be safe.

Semper Fi !

Don <><

Ruger SR9C Part 1

Ruger SR9C Part 2

Ruger SR9C Close-up

Ruger SR40C Part 1

Ruger SR40C Part 2

Ruger SR40C Close-up

sharpshot 08-31-2012 03:47 PM

RedneckDaddy,

I have had the SR9c for about 8 months now and it is my every day carry. I generally carry the 10 round mag just for comfort. I use an Uncle Mikes IWB
holster and Speer 124 grain plus P Gold Dots. I have approx. 450 rounds thru the gun and not even a hiccup. I installed Trijicon night sights for effective low light
sighting. The recoil is very manageable even with the higher pressure rounds. Trigger is crisp and very smooth.
I believe you can't go wrong by giving the Ruger a very good consideration. It is a very well built firearm, made in America, and is definitely what I
trust to protect my family and I. Take a look.

Shoot safely,

Danny

tacticalfun 08-31-2012 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Attachment 56274

newbolddm 08-31-2012 04:39 PM

My wife has one and enjoys it. Recoil is light and it seems solidly built. Nice gun to shoot. It seems to work as it should regardless of the cheap ammo we use for target practice. I can't remember a FTF or FTE occurrence with it so far. I'd certainly trust it as a carry weapon. I've had good luck with Ruger so far. I have 4 different Rugers and none of them have presented me with any problems. Ruger SR9C, LCP, SP101, and the Mark III.

CAAD8N8 08-31-2012 11:29 PM

I have the SR9c and love it! I use it as my every day carry gun with the 10 round mag for CCW and then put the 17 round mag in at night for my wife to use as a home defense weapon. It conceals well in my Kholster (I weigh a whopping 120 lbs) and is very comfortable to shoot. I have never had a single issue with it and my friends love to shoot it too. It's definitely worth looking into.

redneckdaddy 09-01-2012 01:32 PM

Thanks all for the info and feedback. Just purchased one should be in next week. I can't wait but I decided to get the two tone and they didn't have one in stock. So should I get a laser or tack lite or combo? I don't want to spend a lot on them but I do want a decent one two. Any suggestions?

genesis 09-01-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckdaddy (Post 923887)
Thanks all for the info and feedback. Just purchased one should be in next week. I can't wait but I decided to get the two tone and they didn't have one in stock. So should I get a laser or tack lite or combo? I don't want to spend a lot on them but I do want a decent one two. Any suggestions?

You chose an excellent gun. I have the SR40C. You won't be disappointed. I promise. I'm not a fan of lasers because I shoot a lot and shoot pretty well. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one if you want one. They can be pricey, but there are some really inexpensive units available for around $39 which I've thought about getting just to play with. I'm also not a fan of nite lights on a gun. I wouldn't want to give up the element of surprise in a nite time self defense situation. I've learned to shoot instinctively without using the sights, even in almost total darkness. But that's just me. I'd play with the gun for awhile before adding any accessories. Then decide what you may want to add on to it.

Happy shooting, and be safe.

Don <><

redneckdaddy 09-01-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis

You chose an excellent gun. I have the SR40C. You won't be disappointed. I promise. I'm not a fan of lasers because I shoot a lot and shoot pretty well. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one if you want one. They can be pricey, but there are some really inexpensive units available for around $39 which I've thought about getting just to play with. I'm also not a fan of nite lights on a gun. I wouldn't want to give up the element of surprise in a nite time self defense situation. I've learned to shoot instinctively without using the sights, even in almost total darkness. But that's just me. I'd play with the gun for awhile before adding any accessories. Then decide what you may want to add on to it.

Happy shooting, and be safe.

Don <><

Yea I was thinkin about it a little and I think I'd rather go with a laser and use my tack light in the other hand if I decide to use it. I watched a video on different techniques on using one that's not mounted on the weapon.

thdrduck 09-02-2012 02:50 PM

If you wait to get the laser I'd also wait to get a holster. Some holsters won't work with a laser or light. Just trying to save you a buck.