Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or North American Guardian? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or North American Guardian?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 04:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Comp23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 39
Default

You should give the Autauga 380 a try. I shot over 600rds thru mine in the three years that I owned it. Very well built pistol made from stainless steel. I recently sold it to a fellow gun range buddy for his wife. She fell in love with it.

__________________
Comp23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Springfield,MO
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp23 View Post
You should give the Autauga 380 a try. I shot over 600rds thru mine in the three years that I owned it. Very well built pistol made from stainless steel. I recently sold it to a fellow gun range buddy for his wife. She fell in love with it.
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of Autauga guns. Been searching the web and can't find any kind of website for them. Does anyone know the name of their site?
__________________

Last edited by Lowrider; 05-16-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Lowrider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

When I compared Ruger's LCP & Kahr's P.380, I opted for the Kahr P.380, comparing the two side-by-side the Kahr felt better in my hand and I prefered the barrel sights of the Kahr over Ruger. Plus I'm more familiar with the break-down of Kahr's P series handguns.

What I like the most of these small framed pistols is that when you slide them in your pocket they disappear totally. The advantages of a small gun are real and can't be jeered away by making snide comments about little calibers. Most self-defense shootings are at very close range,
so if I had to use my .380, I'm sure it'll do the job.

The Kahr P.380 has a polymer frame with a stainless steel slide making it a very lite gun to carry. I have ran 350 rounds through my P.380 with no issues what-so-ever. The Owner's Manual states you may experience feeding & functioning issues during Break-In Period. The pistol should not be considered fully reliable until after it has fired 200 rounds.
I think most people conceive these statements as the Kahrs being unreliable. Kahr users I know all went to the brand for simple reasons; compactness, lite-weight, ease of use, durability & reliability. All the Kahrs I've seen have worked flawlessly, for me and other owners.

__________________
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Springfield,MO
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I agree that the Kahr has a lot going for it, but the price almost puts it in a different league from the Ruger and you are still getting much the same thing (polymer and metal).

__________________
Lowrider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

How much did that Kahr run?

__________________
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
How much did that Kahr run?
I found mine at a gun show, they were asking $699.00
I told the sales guy I would like to buy the gun, but the price was too high. He lowered it; $649+tax.

Lowrider, you might want to wait for Sig's P238 .380 ACP in a minature 1911 frame. Looks promising.
__________________
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChuckMc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
When I compared Ruger's LCP & Kahr's P.380, I opted for the Kahr P.380, comparing the two side-by-side the Kahr felt better in my hand and I prefered the barrel sights of the Kahr over Ruger. Plus I'm more familiar with the break-down of Kahr's P series handguns.

What I like the most of these small framed pistols is that when you slide them in your pocket they disappear totally. The advantages of a small gun are real and can't be jeered away by making snide comments about little calibers. Most self-defense shootings are at very close range,
so if I had to use my .380, I'm sure it'll do the job.

The Kahr P.380 has a polymer frame with a stainless steel slide making it a very lite gun to carry. I have ran 350 rounds through my P.380 with no issues what-so-ever. The Owner's Manual states you may experience feeding & functioning issues during Break-In Period. The pistol should not be considered fully reliable until after it has fired 200 rounds.
I think most people conceive these statements as the Kahrs being unreliable. Kahr users I know all went to the brand for simple reasons; compactness, lite-weight, ease of use, durability & reliability. All the Kahrs I've seen have worked flawlessly, for me and other owners.

With all due respect the sights on the LCP are minimal for a reason... there is nothing on this little gun to snag on your pocket when trying to pull it in an emergency situation and believe me, at this time you are not going to think about lining up the sights, you are going to point and shoot. And the LCP does this really well. Besides, how accurate do you expect a 2.75" barrel to be? For $230 and wieghing only 9.6 onces and all the reliabilty you can expect from Ruger this is a no brainer. I carry mine in a variaty of ways... pocket, ankle or just about anywhere and forget that it's there, unless I need it.
__________________
ChuckMc1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I paid 289$ for my Ruger LCP and it's been 100% reliable. It's my opinion that by the time you have to draw your bug or mouse gun, it's designed for VERY close range in the 1st place. That means if you're far enough away that you need to worry about using the sights, you're likely too far away to justify the use of deadly force.

__________________
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMc1 View Post
With all due respect the sights on the LCP are minimal for a reason... there is nothing on this little gun to snag on your pocket when trying to pull it in an emergency situation and believe me, at this time you are not going to think about lining up the sights, you are going to point and shoot. And the LCP does this really well. Besides, how accurate do you expect a 2.75" barrel to be? For $230 and wieghing only 9.6 onces and all the reliabilty you can expect from Ruger this is a no brainer. I carry mine in a variaty of ways... pocket, ankle or just about anywhere and forget that it's there, unless I need it.
I'm not downing the LCP. I was making a comparison from my view. You have your reasons and I have my reasons for our purchases.

Not all self-defense shootings have the same scenario. For instance, one might be in the check-out line and a robber comes in and pulls out his handgun. One might have to shoot at him from the check-out line.

In my state, I haven't seen the LCP for $230 or $289. The price I've seen was $329 for the first batch and now they're $499. When the Kahr P380 was first available in my state it was $599, now they're $649 or more. I carry mine in my pocket ready to use. It also has nothing on it that will snag when trying to pull it out. As far as accuracy; my P380 hits the bull'seye at 14 yards with the sights lined up. Very accurate.
__________________
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Life would be boring if we all liked exactly the same things. I'm sure the Kahr is an excellent gun as I've never seen a bad Kahr. The Kahr wasn't out when I bought my LCP.





Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I'm not downing the LCP. I was making a comparison from my view. You have your reasons and I have my reasons for our purchases.

Not all self-defense shootings have the same scenario. For instance, one might be in the check-out line and a robber comes in and pulls out his handgun. One might have to shoot at him from the check-out line.

In my state, I haven't seen the LCP for $230 or $289. The price I've seen was $329 for the first batch and now they're $499. When the Kahr P380 was first available in my state it was $599, now they're $649 or more. I carry mine in my pocket ready to use. It also has nothing on it that will snag when trying to pull it out. As far as accuracy; my P380 hits the bull'seye at 14 yards with the sights lined up. Very accurate.
__________________
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Huglo North American Handyman General Shotgun Discussion 0 04-30-2009 03:44 PM
North American Hunting Club spittinfire Hunting Forum 12 09-19-2008 03:02 PM
North American Arms Rusting Problem 1geo General Handgun Discussion 8 07-27-2008 11:41 PM
Not impressed with North American Arms "No Holster In the Box" policy jdnorris Revolver Handguns 0 04-26-2008 07:13 PM