Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or North American Guardian?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or North American Guardian?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or North American Guardian?

Looking for a pocket gun and am looking at the three above. Would like to hear opinions on witch of the three you would pick. Feel free to point me to another choice, but pick one of these also.

I have been told that the North American is a much better choice and will last longer than the Ruger or Kel-Tec. Came close to buying one today, but held off for some research.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We can't keep a Ruger LCP in stock. Heard a lot of good things about them but have not had a chance to shoot one. They becoming very popular. I hate Kel-Tecs, but that's just my opinion. Had one in 40 S&W and the dang thing jambed all the time.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 04-19-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Cant talk about the North American, but wife has a Keltec 380 acp and I have a Ruger LCP. Both have functioned flawlessly for about 200 rounds each. The advantage of either is that they are lightweight and easily concealable. I wear mine 16 hours a day without noticing its there, and I work construction that envolves much bending and climbing. Wish I could use something else but cant find one that meets such comfort requirements. If it is not comfortable then you leave it at home.To boost its knockdown power I use Buffalo Bore ammo staggering the magazine alternatly between 90 grain Speer Gold Dots and their 95 grain flat nosed full metal jacket plus P ammo.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
Cant talk about the North American, but wife has a Keltec 380 acp and I have a Ruger LCP. Both have functioned flawlessly for about 200 rounds each. The advantage of either is that they are lightweight and easily concealable. I wear mine 16 hours a day without noticing its there, and I work construction that envolves much bending and climbing. Wish I could use something else but cant find one that meets such comfort requirements. If it is not comfortable then you leave it at home.To boost its knockdown power I use Buffalo Bore ammo staggering the magazine alternatly between 90 grain Speer Gold Dots and their 95 grain flat nosed full metal jacket plus P ammo.
I'd like to hear someone that has run through a bunch of ammo in an LCP. The guy at the local shop implied that the Kel-Tec and the LCP would not last if you shot it much at all, but the NAA could be shot every weekend and hold up.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
I'd like to hear someone that has run through a bunch of ammo in an LCP. The guy at the local shop implied that the Kel-Tec and the LCP would not last if you shot it much at all, but the NAA could be shot every weekend and hold up.
While I have never shot a North American I know they are of high quality and are made of steel, while the Ruger and Keltec are part plastic,and some stamped steel parts. I am an Avid admirer of quality firearms and these are the only two I own with plastic parts. How I wish they were made of milled steel! However they are lightweight and so I carry one 16 hours a day without notice. So I would reasonable assume that they will not stand up to constant use as a steel one would I feel comfortable they will withstand what they were intended to do. Shot occasional practice session and be there when needed for self defense.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Ruger LCP and it has functioned flawlessly with anything I've fed it so far being about 600 rounds. I did polish the throat and relieve around the magazine release in order to reach it better when under stress. It's still secure against accidental release however. I pack my LCP in strong side front pocket ALL the time and an extra loaded mag in the other side front pocket, along with keys, billfold, and my ever present skoal can. My LCP IS a backup to my .45 "pocket pistol" that I carry mexican carry IWB with a clipdraw-no holster needed.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For .380 the gun i prefer is a Bersa Thunder .380 Ive shot a bunch of other brands and models but for the caliber this is my favorite.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love my Ruger LCP. I have about 500 rounds through it with no problems. It easily slips right into my pocket and goes everywhere with me.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #9

Default Wait before you buy

June Kahr is going to start shipping there new P380 smaller than the Kel-Tec and Taurus will also be shipping there .380 also.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Kahr looks very good. Costs a lot more than the Ruger or Kel-Tec, but does look very nice.